Onkyo 805 settings (4 OHMs or 6 OHMs) for the SongTower

keithpkp

Hello fellow members:

Ordered the Songs over a week ago; so I will not be hearing these for at least a few weeks.

I have 8 ohms speakers right now so my setting on the Onkyo 805 is 6 ohms.  There are only 2 settings (4 or 6 ohms).

What should I set my receiver for (6 or 4 ohms) when I receive the Songs?

I cannot remember but reading somewhere that I still should set them to 6 ohms even if the speakers are 4 ohms.

Thanks in advance.

Keith P.

jsalk

Re: Onkyo 805 settings (4 OHMs or 6 OHMs) for the SongTower
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2008, 12:01 am »
Keith -

Hello fellow members:

Ordered the Songs over a week ago; so I will not be hearing these for at least a few weeks.

I have 8 ohms speakers right now so my setting on the Onkyo 805 is 6 ohms.  There are only 2 settings (4 or 6 ohms).

What should I set my receiver for (6 or 4 ohms) when I receive the Songs?

I cannot remember but reading somewhere that I still should set them to 6 ohms even if the speakers are 4 ohms.

Thanks in advance.

Keith P.

If you look at the impedance plot on the first post in the following thread, the impedance drops to 4 ohms in about two places.  Most of the time it is quite a bit higher. 

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=40820.0

So you should have no trouble with either setting.  I would just go with the one that produces the best sound quality.  If you can't tell the difference, use the 4-ohm setting.

- Jim

BPuckett

« Reply #2 on: 11 Apr 2008, 01:29 pm »
If I am reading the Onkyo 805 user manual correctly, the settings you referred to, Keith, are for configuring the amplifier to properly drive speakers whose impedance throughout the audio band falls within the 4 ohms to 16 ohms range or the 6 ohms to 16 ohms range.  The impedance plot of the ST's shows that their impedance falls within the 4 ohms to 16 ohms range for the entire audio band, with the exception of rising to 17 ohms from approximately 1.4 kHz to 1.6 kHz.  The worst phase angle within that frequency range is approximately -23 degrees.  17 ohms at -23 degrees is a relatively benign load on the amplifier, so it shouldn't make any difference which setting you use with that load.  However, given that the ST's impedance drops to 4 ohms in a couple of sections of the audio band, the better setting for your amplifier is the 4 ohms to 16 ohms range.  There you have my two cents worth.

Regards,
Bob

Gaara

« Reply #3 on: 11 Apr 2008, 01:42 pm »
IMO you should never change the switch no matter what.  If you set it to 4ohm the receiver limits it's current capability.  The reasoning behind this is that 4ohm speakers are more demanding and stress the receiver more many times generating more heat.  When you switch it to 4ohm it limits its output capability to prevent the receiver from being to stressed, if I recall correctly the switch is needed for the receiver to be UL Rated.

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 11 Apr 2008, 01:57 pm »
I know "KevinK" has ST's and an Onkyo 805 so you might PM him.  He doesn't frequent this board  much but it might get to his personal email.  Tom

1stplasma

« Reply #5 on: 17 Apr 2008, 05:32 am »
Have Songtowers with my Onkyo 805 and set it on 4 ohms . Did read a review that recommended it per Gaara's reasoning. Have had no problems running it this way.HTH.

KevinK

« Reply #6 on: 18 Apr 2008, 01:20 pm »
I do have the 805 driving my ST's.  Before that, I drove them with a Panny XR57.  Had no problems driving them with the Panny, but the Onkyo has provided a bit more 'meat' (technical term) to the soundstage.  The soundstage with the Panny was amazing; clear and open.  Just slightly less (almost impossible to detect) so with the Onkyo, but bass was a tiny tiny bit thinner with the Panny.

Haven't changed the impedance setting on the Onkyo, but have been thrilled with the sound quality.

JP78

« Reply #7 on: 19 Apr 2008, 11:20 am »
we awauys set for the lowest impedance dip, as this is all controllable via amx / crestron / control four.  also, for radian heating (if this is what you have), the ideal height for any sensor is about 50 inches.  this way you have warm feet and a comfortable body.  p.s. place them above central vac in corners so you have a clean wall plan.

best,

keithpkp

« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2008, 03:08 am »
Thanks for yours input.