Anyone heard Planotspeakers?

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
Anyone heard Planotspeakers?
« on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:53 pm »
They appear to work by twisting a long thin triangular shaped pole driven by a linear motor similar to that used by a hard drive head motor but beefier.

Looks like an interesting concept.  Single driver, no cabinet, no back wave.  I wonder if it works well.

Frank Van Alstine

http://www.planotspeaker.com/Planot/It_Works.html

RDavidson

Re: Anyone heard Planotspeakers?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Jul 2015, 02:04 pm »
That's very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

steve f

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jul 2015, 08:18 pm »
The triangular piece doesn't twist, it rotates.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 10 Jul 2015, 08:25 pm »
I dont see any motion, looks its a vibrator:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeGtdKoxk20

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #4 on: 10 Jul 2015, 09:51 pm »
Sounds kinda tinny on my iPad.  :lol:

Sorry. I couldn't help myself. All my music sounds much better through my 400R. :thumb:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 10 Jul 2015, 09:53 pm »
To made bass it will need a big tube.

simoon

« Reply #6 on: 10 Jul 2015, 10:07 pm »
I read about these at least 5 years ago.

Intriguing design and concept.

But where are the real world applications? If they are so good, why haven't there been any commercial products?

Why doesn't the site have any specs (at least that I could find)?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #7 on: 10 Jul 2015, 10:10 pm »
Looks less impressive than NXT, which is useless to hi-fi due low sensitivity.

Planot

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2015, 10:02 pm »
I am the inventor of the Planot speaker.
I would be glad to answer any questions.
First off the diaphragm does not rotate or twist; it pivots along its long axis. There are bearings at the top and bottom of the diaphragm. At the bottom is my proprietary dual voice coil motor that is driven by the audio signal.

The graphic shows the phase and frequency response measured in my listening room. The measurements were taken using REW software, a Roland USB mic preamp and a calibrated measurement microphone. This is a measurement using the old version of the motor for my prototype 4 (P4). The same graph can be seen in two places on my Web site.

John

rockadanny

« Reply #9 on: 15 Jul 2015, 11:12 am »
Welcome, and thanks for posting John.  :thumb:

So where in the US can I hear these?

Planot

« Reply #10 on: 15 Jul 2015, 12:41 pm »
Only in Omaha, Nebraska currently. They are not a commercial product yet. If you are a manufacturer or a SEC certified investor you can audition them here. I have been invited by Constantine Soo, publisher of Dagogo, to give a demo and talk at the California Audio Show.  Unfortunately I will not be able to attend this year. I have other pending invitations.

This brings me to what is an extremely important question for me.

If you had to pick one of these four options, which do you think would have the greatest and fastest impact on public opinion; please help me by rating them 1 is best, and 4 is least desirable. (#3 would include post reviews by attendees.)
1) a single public demo and talk in Omaha,
2) a video presentation on You Tube,
3) a live stream , over Meerkat, of a demo to a group of audiophiles (picked from amoung people who applied online to attend).
4) publish a group of measurements taken in an anechoic chamber by Indy Acoustic Research.
http://www.indyacousticresearch.com
« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2015, 03:09 pm by Planot »

rockadanny

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jul 2015, 02:27 pm »
As an audio consumer, the only option which would interest me would be the live event, and hope that someone there writes up a decent review of the sound with comparisions to other well regarded speakers (box, open baffle, and planar). Of course, it would be even better if you did it in Atlanta and I were invited  :thumb:  :lol:

Planot

« Reply #12 on: 17 Jul 2015, 01:19 am »
Any more questions?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #13 on: 17 Jul 2015, 01:25 am »
Its hi sensitivity to run small tube amps?

Planot

« Reply #14 on: 17 Jul 2015, 12:58 pm »
I use a 60 watt per channel solid state power amplifier. Part of the equation is the preamplifier.
I am using an AVA preamp; in the past I also had a highly modified DH-101 driving the same power amp and that drove the prototype to significantly higher levels using the same power amp.
------------
I have not used a tube amp to drive any of my prototypes. (I have owned a number of tube power amps in the past.)
------------
Remember I am still using prototypes. Highly engineered drivers motors should have significantly improved efficiency. I believe the limiting factor is the motor, or as I like to say the potor(tm) as in pivoting-motor; to emphasis that it pivots and does NOT rotate.

John

steve f

« Reply #15 on: 17 Jul 2015, 03:57 pm »
Planot,

When I wrote 'rotate' I should have added back and forth. I certainly did not imply that the speaker operated like a turntable. I simply meant that it pivots on its longitude axis. Sorry for any confusion.

Since you can't attend the California Audio Show personally, why not entrust a prototype to Dagogo to demo at the show? You need publicity or your design will not have enough demand to attract investors.

steve

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #16 on: 17 Jul 2015, 04:20 pm »
Thanks John for the reply.
Wish you best of luck.

Planot

« Reply #17 on: 17 Jul 2015, 08:14 pm »
Planot,

Since you can't attend the California Audio Show personally, why not entrust a prototype to Dagogo to demo at the show? You need publicity or your design will not have enough demand to attract investors.

steve

Steve:
The prototypes are more "laboratory instruments" rather than boxes you can throw in the trunk.
I would not dream of asking Mr. Soo to do my work. But soon enough.

I am leaning towards doing a streaming demo for a room of audiophiles locally. I include a discussion after the demo. I would ask the attendees to fill out a questionnaire afterwards and I would post the results on my Web site. Remember this would be a live stream you could see and hear the responses live. Obviously you guys , the audience, could not judge the audio over the stream but you could get the response in real time. I could try to select an audiophile who lives nearby and is an active member of this and a couple of other forums.

Any ideas? Yes or no. I believe that would be the least expensive way for me to reach the largest audience with the most credible presentation.

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #18 on: 17 Jul 2015, 08:53 pm »
If you do decide on a live streaming demo (I recommend this) then please let me know when it will be held.

If it is at all possible, I would like to attend and would be happy to bring some more modern audio electronics to use and bring a small but excellent set of speakers to compare yours with if desired.

Minnesota to Omaha isn't all that far.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Planot

« Reply #19 on: 17 Jul 2015, 09:15 pm »
If you do decide on a live streaming demo (I recommend this) then please let me know when it will be held.

If it is at all possible, I would like to attend and would be happy to bring some more modern audio electronics to use and bring a small but excellent set of speakers to compare yours with if desired.

Minnesota to Omaha isn't all that far.

Regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Frank:

Absolutely. We'll talk, I have your number.

John