tweaks, upgrades, accenting the M3 Turbos S....

ric

tweaks, upgrades, accenting the M3 Turbos S....
« on: 17 Jun 2018, 03:14 pm »
Since purchasing the M3's I have been inclined (no, say it's not true!) to, shall we say, enhance the sound, which leads us to tweaks and upgrades. Here are few of mine, and if you feel inclined, share your own, as knowledge is power, power is sound, and sound is everything. :lol: Keep in mind that once one becomes acclimated to a sound improvement a paradox can happen. That paradox can take the form of making your system more sensitive, which means you hear more, but when you hear MORE, you listen even more with the critical ear and so on ad nauseam.
First there was the speaker cable. I was happy with Morrow Audio sp4 cable, but an old pair of MIT MH750's were on Craigslist. The MIT's were more solid with superior timbral accuracy. I have since moved up to the MIT M1 with MORE of what it is we are on the quest for.
     EL34's, I have tried most current manufactured brands, and bit the bullet and purchased some Sophia Electric EL34's. WOW! Across the board in spades sound improvement from bass through highs. Clarity, openness, fullness, etc. I won't be going back if I can help it. YES, they're expensive!
    Now that I had the MIT cables, an older MIT AC1 power cable also fit the bill. Much more open, solid, timbral, etc. not jaw dropping but worth it.
    Bybee Quantum Signal Enhancer: I think they were about $90 a piece and I bought two, liked the improvement so much I bought two more. Crystals on steroids, improved imaging, clarity, bass tightness and the more (you buy) the merrier. Great tweak!
    Gaia II isoacoustic footers: Interesting in that I almost decided to get rid of them as the "leading edge transients" or attack of the first notes, sounded more muted, and the sound was a bit homogenized and I was disappointed. But then my tweaking instinct told me to decouple the bottom rubber type suction cup from the floor and I put in some Herbie's gel type footers under them and WTF! Huge improvement, dynamic, bass, clarity, openness. Strings that previously were good were now great (on certain recordings of course)
    Past tweaks would include Synergistic PHT phono, again, crystals on steroids with huge improvement, also High Fidelity cables RCA adapters, another "tweak" I would not want to be without.
    Also, need to mention my DIY Shakti Hallographs. I thought due to the open baffle sound that they would be superfluous, but this is another tweak I would not want to be without. Being able to adjust the soundstage's openness via the Hallographs is a HUGE plus, as sometimes I can find the M3's a bit "in your face" depending on the recording.
    Of the above, biggest improvement would probably be the tube upgrade, followed by the Gaia II's.
Hope this may start your (aural) salivary glands going. Of course, YMMV as all sounds are system/person/relationship dependant.
One final mention of setting up the M3's to get your imaging and tonal balance spot on.

Wind Chaser

Re: tweaks, upgrades, accenting the M3 Turbos S....
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jun 2018, 04:30 pm »
Yes, as with any speaker, positioning and everything upstream makes a difference.

As for tweaking the actual speakers, there isn’t much you can do apart from tweaking the crossover. Verastarr offers a few options for upgrading the crossover... http://verastarr.com/speaker-upgrades/

If I lived in or near Texas, I would have Danny at GR Research take a look at the crossovers in my M3ts.

James Edward

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jul 2018, 10:55 pm »
Thanks for posting this. The M3’s sound great out of the box, and I’m sure some tweaks might make them even better. I had forgotten about the Walker Audio High Definition Links that I was using (and really liked), on my previous speakers. I’ll try them in a few days and report back. So far the M3’s are a home run for me.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: 11 Jul 2018, 11:10 pm »
Yes, as with any speaker, positioning and everything upstream makes a difference.

As for tweaking the actual speakers, there isn’t much you can do apart from tweaking the crossover. Verastarr offers a few options for upgrading the crossover... http://verastarr.com/speaker-upgrades/

If I lived in or near Texas, I would have Danny at GR Research take a look at the crossovers in my M3ts.
The crossover is attached to the binding post plate so it's easily removed.  Changing caps just isn't going to do anything on top of what is used.  Also, the space available is quite small. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2018, 12:22 am »
  The Spatial M3 turbo is an achievement one would want to just leave as is. Spend money where it counts a better front end or amplifier. If still inkling ask Spatial what they would change in crossover.

charles

James Edward

« Reply #5 on: 12 Jul 2018, 01:19 am »
I tend to agree with rollo. They do sound great, and my Luxman amp and Esoteric player are feeding them quite nicely. They are an achievement, as he says.

James Edward

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2018, 04:05 pm »
I tried the Walker High Def Links on the M3’s, and while I can’t put my finger on it,
they did nothing positive.
I’m going to leave well enough alone. The M3’s sound great as is. I’m assuming the crossover is
minimal, as they are a two-way speaker. My last pair were a four-way design, and perhaps they
benefited in some way that the Spatials do not...

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2018, 06:30 pm »
  The only so called tweak would be to try decoulping [ usually a VG move ] the speaker from the floor. That's it. I would try Herbies decoulpers. The only tweak left is a great bottle for imbibing.  :lol:

charles

James Edward

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jul 2018, 07:43 pm »

On their way from Herbie’s, Charles...