Hypex NCore question and answers

Julf

• Grumpy second cousin of Mark V Shaney
Re: Hypex NCore question and answers
« Reply #760 on: 24 Aug 2013, 11:25 am »
Correct.  Not sure I see a need for turning off the AC.

I did put in an AC switch, but on the back - only use it if going away for a longer time, or in case of a thunderstorm.

Thanks for all the help.

Sure! Good luck with the build!

SGK

« Reply #761 on: 26 Aug 2013, 11:05 am »
From the "Show us your N-Core thread"...

Maybe something like this:

Doesn't this mean the light is off when the amp is on?  I understand that nAmpon needs to be connected to chassis in order for the amp to be working (otherwise it is muted). When the left connection is made nAmpon is connected to ground but the light is off.  Or am I reading this wrong?

Julf

« Reply #762 on: 26 Aug 2013, 11:15 am »
Doesn't this mean the light is off when the amp is on?  I understand that nAmpon needs to be connected to chassis in order for the amp to be working (otherwise it is muted). When the left connection is made nAmpon is connected to ground but the light is off.  Or am I reading this wrong?

When the switch is in the "normal" position, C1 is connected to NC1, and the amp is on (nAmpon is connected to ground), and C2 is connected to NC2, so the LED is on (aux power fed to the LED "+"). In the other switch position, C1 is connected to NO1 and the amp is muted, and C2 is connected to NO2, and the LED is off.

alfi66

« Reply #763 on: 20 Sep 2013, 11:24 am »
hello friends

im new here on the forum, but i like it a lot. very many smart people here, and a lot of good advice for a beginner.
i am going to build a ncore400 stereo power amplifier, and need some advice. i have ordered most of what i need, but im missing one part. i want the poweramp to have two sets of balanced xlr inputs. one will be from my pioneer lx86 receivers preout, for my fronts, and one directly from my oppo 103, using its xlr out.
i need a switch between them, it only needs these 2 positions, and hopefully dont break the bank
im thinking in the 40-100$ range.
i will put it in the back, for short cables, and use a extention from a button in the front.
i have no idea what to look for in the switch information to find a suitable one, only that it should be a shorting type.
i would really appreciate any help. maybe there is a product in the RS catalog i could use? i have a account there, and they are very fast to deliver.

kind regards
alf david

waver

« Reply #764 on: 22 Sep 2013, 12:31 pm »
how about gold point selectors:

http://www.goldpt.com/selector.html

Julf

« Reply #765 on: 22 Sep 2013, 12:35 pm »
how about gold point selectors

Are they the shorting type? That was pretty much the only criteria the OP specified...

Julf

« Reply #766 on: 22 Sep 2013, 12:44 pm »
i will put it in the back, for short cables, and use a extention from a button in the front.

So that means it would have to be a rotary switch - I would have used a rocker switch. 2-position make-before-break rotary switches are somewhat rare, as rotary switches tend to have more than 2 positions.

Another possibility is to use a relay.

alfi66

« Reply #767 on: 22 Sep 2013, 04:11 pm »
Hi guys

I have been looking around, and do find some elma switches, and others that would do the job. Some of Those you can put stops on, so you can have from 2 to 10-11 ways.
But from what i understand, i need a 2 way, 4 pole mbb, if i want rotary switch. Is this correct?
I have ordered a cheap 2 way, 4 pole switch to test it out, and then i can upgrade it later, when i get the other things up and running.
Im ordering a black aluminium chassis from china, rounded corners, full width and depth, 80 mm high, 10mm front, sides and back, 5mm top and bottom. On/off switch from hypex, and good quality xlr, iec, speaker posts.
Im really looking forward to build this, and maybe if things work well, and the sound is good, i will get 2 more and bridge them, i should have place enough.
Maybe my pioneer lx86 will do a better job with the rest of the channels to, when it dont have to drive the fronts.
Alf david

Julf

« Reply #768 on: 23 Sep 2013, 08:16 am »
from what i understand, i need a 2 way, 4 pole mbb, if i want rotary switch. Is this correct?

Yes, if you are using a differential/balanced setup. If you are doing unbalanced, you can get away with a 2-pole switch, but I would definitely recommend you keep things balanced as much as possible.

yertletheturtle

Ordering
« Reply #769 on: 22 Dec 2013, 05:29 pm »
Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find the answer.......

When ordering from hypex what do I need.
Nc400
Smps600
Signal cable? Or is this included in amp module?
Thanks

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
Re: Ordering
« Reply #770 on: 22 Dec 2013, 07:10 pm »
Sorry if this has been answered but I couldn't find the answer.......

When ordering from hypex what do I need.
Nc400
Smps600
Signal cable? Or is this included in amp module?
Thanks
All cables come with the modules so just order them and you're good to go.   :thumb:   

SGK

« Reply #771 on: 29 Jan 2014, 04:34 pm »
It's interesting to come back to this after some time and re-read the linear PSU debate that began on pages 34/35. For the NC400 what are the required power supply voltages and current capabilities?

I guess Dave Reich at Theta Digital would beg to differ with respect to whether it's worth investing in a linear power supply for the NC1200 module...?

Julf

« Reply #772 on: 29 Jan 2014, 04:50 pm »
For the NC400 what are the required power supply voltages and current capabilities?

Main supply voltage should be between +-35 and +-75 V. The Hypex SMPS has overcurrent protection at 7 A.

SGK

« Reply #773 on: 29 Jan 2014, 06:05 pm »
Ok so +/- voltages anywhere within that range? Other voltage needs? Standby etc?

Julf

« Reply #774 on: 29 Jan 2014, 06:08 pm »
Ok so +/- voltages anywhere within that range? Other voltage needs? Standby etc?

Yes to both - the other voltages are specified in the nc400 data sheet, at http://www.hypex.nl/downloads/product-downloads.html

boffellid

« Reply #775 on: 6 Feb 2014, 12:03 am »
Hello,

I am new to the forum. I am planning two build monoblocks, and I am looking for advice. For each monoblock, I am thinking of using two cases, one for the SMPS and one for the NC400. To have a compact layout, the two cases would be stacked, with the NC400 on top and a hole to let the umbilical connector through.

Any reason to avoid this configuration? EMI from the SMPS could affect the NC400 above it? There would be two layers of aluminum between the two components.

Dario

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #776 on: 6 Feb 2014, 12:50 am »
Any reason to avoid this configuration?
Yes, Bruno says it will not do anything. 

Julf

« Reply #777 on: 6 Feb 2014, 06:26 am »
Any reason to avoid this configuration?

No reason to avoid it - it should be perfectly OK. As stated by jtwrace, Bruno has specifically said it is OK.

OzarkTom

« Reply #778 on: 6 Feb 2014, 06:39 am »
There were a couple of recent listings on the AC trading post of used finished Ncore 400s for sale.

greenkiwi

« Reply #779 on: 19 Mar 2014, 06:40 am »
No reason to avoid it - it should be perfectly OK. As stated by jtwrace, Bruno has specifically said it is OK.

Actually, I read @jtwrace's comment to imply that while it don't hurt to do it like this, it won't cause an improvement.  e.g. if you like the look of separate cases, great... otherwise, just put them in once case and save money/time/space.