AVA/Parasound mini-review

Nuance

Re: AVA/Parasound mini-review
« Reply #20 on: 25 Sep 2009, 07:59 pm »
^ Good to know, Terry.  Thanks. 

I think I'll start a thread and inquire of Salk owners whether they leave their amps and preamps on.  I'll be leaving the DAC on, though, no doubt.  Or maybe I will post in an already existing thread. 

K Shep

« Reply #21 on: 25 Sep 2009, 11:57 pm »
Vintagebob and I will compare my Parasound A21 to his AVA amp when all of his new toys arrive, then we will have some serious opinions to chew on!

Kirk

I look forward to this.  I'd love to hear what you guys think.

And when I mentioned "sexy" in my previous post, I was thinking of your CJ preamp.  That thing redefines sexy!

My preamp is blushing.

Kirk

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #22 on: 26 Sep 2009, 12:03 am »
You should leave your audio components on all the time for the same reason that you leave your toaster oven and blender on all the timel :)

Mainly to be a friend of OPEC.

Long term heat is the enemy of electronic parts.  My idea of taking care of great and durable audio equipment is not to feed it all the heat it needs long term.

We will start listening to solid state equipment as fast as we can get from the power switch to the volume control.  With tube and hybrid stuff, we wait a minute for the tubes to heat fully and the high voltage capacitors to form.  Anything more than that is a waste of energy, time, and a source of joy to the Saudi oil ministers.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

K Shep

« Reply #23 on: 26 Sep 2009, 01:06 am »

With tube and hybrid stuff, we wait a minute for the tubes to heat fully and the high voltage capacitors to form.

Frank Van Alstine

After pressing the power button on my Conrad Johnson tube preamp a time delay auto-muting circuit is incorporated into the preamp to suppress on/off transients.  It also gives the vacuum tubes time to warm up.

Kirk

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #24 on: 26 Sep 2009, 01:17 am »
SNIP         Late night post--I shouldn't do those. 
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2009, 12:41 pm by DMurphy »

Nuance

« Reply #25 on: 26 Sep 2009, 05:30 am »
Dennis, Frank -

Thanks for the tips guys.  I didn't want to leave everything on, so now I have an excuse to make my wife turn them on/off herself.  :lol:  Or maybe I can program the remote to turn on/off the amp.  I'll leave the DAC on, though, since it goes into standby. 

Thanks again!

Wayner

« Reply #26 on: 26 Sep 2009, 11:57 am »
If you had an AVA preamp, you'd have 3 convenience outlets to plug things in like DACs, FM tuners and CD players. One flick of the switch and all would be on (except the amp). It is not recommended to power the amp  through the preamp because of tremendous inrush current.

Wayner

avahifi

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.avahifi.com
« Reply #27 on: 26 Sep 2009, 01:20 pm »
I should note that all new AVA preamps and DACs do have a protection circuit  - - - a time delay turn-on and instant turn off to protect the power amplifier and speakers from any on or off transients from the small signal components connected to the preamp or DAC switched AC outlets and from the preamp and DAC itself of course.

That means, although we still recommend that the safest way is to turn the power amp on last and off first, that if this rule is ignored the system still will be protected from any on or off transients from or ahead of the AVA equipment if used properly.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Paul K.

Re: Ahhh, the voice of common sense...
« Reply #28 on: 26 Sep 2009, 02:25 pm »
I have only solid state equipment and it is on only when I'm using it.  I did think at one time that my CD player sounded a bit better with a more-extended warmup period, but I decided I was just kidding myself.
Paul

You should leave your audio components on all the time for the same reason that you leave your toaster oven and blender on all the timel :)

Mainly to be a friend of OPEC.

Long term heat is the enemy of electronic parts.  My idea of taking care of great and durable audio equipment is not to feed it all the heat it needs long term.

We will start listening to solid state equipment as fast as we can get from the power switch to the volume control.  With tube and hybrid stuff, we wait a minute for the tubes to heat fully and the high voltage capacitors to form.  Anything more than that is a waste of energy, time, and a source of joy to the Saudi oil ministers.

Best regards,

Frank Van Alstine

Nuance

« Reply #29 on: 26 Sep 2009, 02:47 pm »
Awesome.  Again, thank you guys so much.  This really helps.  Although I did find out the Universal remote doesn't power on the amp...  I'll just have to teach my wife.

K Shep

« Reply #30 on: 26 Sep 2009, 11:32 pm »

See pipe, this is what you should do when you wake up in the morning and read one of your late night posts...just "SNIP" it. 

TJHUB

« Reply #31 on: 26 Sep 2009, 11:42 pm »
Awesome.  Again, thank you guys so much.  This really helps.  Although I did find out the Universal remote doesn't power on the amp...  I'll just have to teach my wife.

I just use the 2100's trigger to power my main 2-channel amp on and off.  I also power on the 2100 for HT bypass as well.  You may not. 

TJHUB

« Reply #32 on: 26 Sep 2009, 11:43 pm »

See pipe, this is what you should do when you wake up in the morning and read one of your late night posts...just "SNIP" it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nuance

« Reply #33 on: 27 Sep 2009, 01:01 am »

I just use the 2100's trigger to power my main 2-channel amp on and off.  I also power on the 2100 for HT bypass as well.  You may not. 
I'll have to use the trigger to do the same. 

I don't power on my 2100 for HT bypass.  Any advantages to doing that over just leaving it off?

TJHUB

« Reply #34 on: 27 Sep 2009, 02:46 am »

I'll have to use the trigger to do the same. 

I don't power on my 2100 for HT bypass.  Any advantages to doing that over just leaving it off?

The only advantage is laziness.  :D  Using the remote to turn on the 2100 and having it's trigger fire up the amp is better than having to push the power button on the amp manually all the time.  8)

oneinthepipe

• Trainee
    • Salk Signature Sound/Audio by Van Alstine two-channel system
« Reply #35 on: 27 Sep 2009, 04:43 am »

True, so true.  Of course, I shouldn't have been writing anything that time of night anyway.  I also mistakenly used the wrong manufacturer in my little rant, not that I should have ever written anything.  Dennis is smarter than me, anyway.  He also was able to SNIP his post before anyone replied.  I think I will go back and SNIP my post now.  :D Regardless, I still feel like I am having a Southwest Airlines "Want to Get Away?" moment.  :oops:

K Shep

« Reply #36 on: 27 Sep 2009, 01:16 pm »

True, so true.  Of course, I shouldn't have been writing anything that time of night anyway.  I also mistakenly used the wrong manufacturer in my little rant, not that I should have ever written anything.  Dennis is smarter than me, anyway.  He also was able to SNIP his post before anyone replied.  I think I will go back and SNIP my post now.  :D Regardless, I still feel like I am having a Southwest Airlines "Want to Get Away?" moment.  :oops:

Oh No...I wanted to read that classic post once more before you snipped it. 

Pipe,
Nuance, TJHUB, and I (your friendly Parasound owners) know you didn't mean any harm.  I just wanted to call you on your stuff, I expect you to do the same if I post something that you find questionable.   In the end your post made me laugh and got us all interacting.  I try to be sarcastic at times to take the edge off, I know I can be a little tough at times.   

Kirk

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #37 on: 27 Sep 2009, 03:45 pm »
Every 6 months or so I post something bemoaning the lack of science behind another post.  And then I wake up and ask myself: What makes you think you're so freaking scientific?  You're an economist.    SNIP.   

K Shep

« Reply #38 on: 27 Sep 2009, 04:43 pm »
Dennis,

You have coined a new phrase that gives us the opportunity for a do-over or if you're a golfer a mulligan.

Kirk

srb

« Reply #39 on: 27 Sep 2009, 04:59 pm »
Oh snap!  I could have snipped!

Steve