What tubes do you plan to use in your DHT?

Chris Adams

Re: What tubes do you plan to use in your DHT?
« Reply #60 on: 2 May 2017, 12:43 am »
Where did you order the KR PX4s? Thanks.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #61 on: 2 May 2017, 12:46 am »
All,

The KR Audio PX4's can be purchased from:

www.best300b.com/ (from Poland).

Thanks for posting your initial impressions, frankrondaniel! 

Vinnie

hi5harry

« Reply #62 on: 2 May 2017, 03:06 pm »
Thanks you for moving my post about the KR px4 tubes to the " for sale" area. What I was trying to convey was I built a preamp around 10 years ago consisting of a Bent Audio Tap passive feeding an all tube gain stage( Supratek Cabernet). The sound was glorious, but not until I found the KR px4's. Other px4's were so microphonic they interfered with the music. The KR's are VERY expensive but the quality is a lot better. Even the glass is thicker than other px4's. I know the Lio is a different beast, but if your going to roll px4's , the KR's were a lot better than cheaper brands.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #63 on: 2 May 2017, 03:15 pm »
Thanks you for moving my post about the KR px4 tubes to the " for sale" area. What I was trying to convey was I built a preamp around 10 years ago consisting of a Bent Audio Tap passive feeding an all tube gain stage( Supratek Cabernet). The sound was glorious, but not until I found the KR px4's. Other px4's were so microphonic they interfered with the music. The KR's are VERY expensive but the quality is a lot better. Even the glass is thicker than other px4's. I know the Lio is a different beast, but if your going to roll px4's , the KR's were a lot better than cheaper brands.

Hi hi5harry,

Thank you for your understanding about moving your post to the FS area.

I was really blown away by the KR PX4s at Axpona, and my pair is on the way.  I'll be using them in LIO at LAAS show and others!

Thanks for posting your experiences with them,

Vinnie

trcks

« Reply #64 on: 2 May 2017, 04:18 pm »
Hi,
just saw that Emission Labs also makes a PX4 mesh.
Any idea how it compares with the KR PX4?
Thanks, Tom

sbj23

« Reply #65 on: 2 May 2017, 06:00 pm »
Vinnie -

Are you able to provide more thoughts about how the KR PX4 compare to the SV 811?  And did you ever have a chance to try the Takatsuki 300Bs?

I'm also curious how the upcoming flagship app might affect tube matching - would it be better to wait until that is released to find the best tube for a user's system/ear? 

Thanks!

Vinnie R.

« Reply #66 on: 2 May 2017, 06:08 pm »
Vinnie -

Are you able to provide more thoughts about how the KR PX4 compare to the SV 811?  And did you ever have a chance to try the Takatsuki 300Bs?

I'm also curious how the upcoming flagship app might affect tube matching - would it be better to wait until that is released to find the best tube for a user's system/ear? 

Thanks!

Hi sbj23,

Once I receive my PX4s (as well as Psvane WE 101-DL's), I'll compare them to the SV811s, EML 2A3 mesh, and others I have here.

As far as tube matching to the rest of your system (including LIO modules), I recommend waiting until you have everything running together before deciding, as that is the only way you will know if you are getting the results that you are looking for.

Vinnie

Theobetley

« Reply #67 on: 2 May 2017, 07:46 pm »
I heard KRpx4 tubes at Axpona and loved them. As soon as I got home I ordered them. Received them late last Friday. After 40 hours of break-in they sound great. Lush mid range , more extended highs, tighter bass. They exceeded my expectations. The sound stage is enormous and everything is bigger in a good way. They are expensive but in my mind they are worth it. I whole heartedly recommend them.

decur

« Reply #68 on: 3 May 2017, 01:14 am »
I am really enjoying my kr px4 in my lio dht,they push all my right buttons,deep punchy bass,air,liquidity,rich sounding tone,and
Extended highs without sibilance.also dead quiet
The svetlana sv811s are really nice tubes for the money,with rich tone and deep bass,the problem i have with these tubes are microphonics. These tubes are noisy at low listening levels.
The kr px4,s are in another league,and worth every penny to me.

Vinnie R.

« Reply #69 on: 3 May 2017, 01:35 am »
Thanks for your feedback, guys - and special THANKS to decur for letting me try his KR PX4's at Axpona. 
I'm really glad I did!  8)

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

Vinnie

SteveKi

« Reply #70 on: 3 May 2017, 04:43 pm »
They are expensive but in my mind they are worth it. I whole heartedly recommend them.

Order placed.
Steve

frankrondaniel

« Reply #71 on: 3 May 2017, 06:38 pm »
Where did you order the KR PX4s? Thanks.

I ordered from the same place that Vinnie listed.  Very quick shipping - even from Poland!

Chris Adams

« Reply #72 on: 3 May 2017, 09:20 pm »
Thanks, I did the same. Should have them Friday. :D

TomS

« Reply #73 on: 8 May 2017, 02:04 pm »
KR Audio PX4's in da house  :green:

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #74 on: 8 May 2017, 02:09 pm »
KR Audio PX4's in da house  :green:

Oh my, someone has gone off the deep end!   :thumb:

Vinnie R.

« Reply #75 on: 8 May 2017, 02:15 pm »
Those are the ones!  8)

This is what I posted from my Axpona thread about using the PX-4's:

Enter the KR AUDIO PX-4 DHT

On Friday I was using SV811s (a show favorite with the SHL5's), but on Saturday morning a customer
surprised me with a new pair of KR Audio PX-4s that he just bought the week before and has fallen in
love with.  He was willing to let me borrow them for the rest of the show if I liked them, and I couldn't resist
trying a new DHT with the LIO.

Not an inexpensive tube (~ $800/pair ?), but they AMAZED us all!   :o  :singing:  :drool:

These tubes have the rich midrange of the SV811's, but with a more extended top end and more solid bass, .  It was
a tube that could play rock, jazz, classical, electronica... all equally well and left some LIO customers who visited wanting
to get a pair for themselves (myself included!). 

These tubes run on the 4V filament setting and only draw 1.1A of current each, so they run fairly cool
and should last a very long time in the LIO DHT PRE circuit.
---

So it looks like quite a few of you guys also have them (or they are on their way to you).  Enjoy them!

Vinnie

TomS

« Reply #76 on: 8 May 2017, 02:23 pm »
Oh my, someone has gone off the deep end!   :thumb:
10 bars into the first cut I knew, these things are ridiculous compared to the EH 2A3's  :thumb:

Can't add much more as Vinnie has described the sound perfectly, but trust me, it's more than a marginal improvement.

Chris Adams

« Reply #77 on: 8 May 2017, 09:28 pm »
So, I got a chance to listen to the KR PX4s today. :o I thought the WE 101Ds were good (and they are), however, the PX4s just do everything better. Some things like mids and staging, a little better, but bass and highs were significantly better IMO. This is with 5 hours on them. They sound clear, open, spacious, sweet, detailed, and have grunt. The bass is remarkable! Actually, the tubes are remarkable in that I heard no deficiency, so far.

frankrondaniel

« Reply #78 on: 10 May 2017, 02:15 am »
I've had the KR PX-4's for almost a week now.  Not sure how many hours but the LIO's been on most of the day each day.  I think these guys have only gotten better.  Initially I thought they were a little light on the low end but the sound now seems to have added some weight.  Could simply be my ears adjusting but I like the result!  I'm experiencing a smooth yet detailed sound that has tonal weight and a sound stage that seems that seems to extend well beyond my speakers (with the stock 2A3 and Gold Lion PX-300B the sound seemed more "localized" to the speakers).  They were a somewhat expensive buy but I have no regrets at all.  Hopefully I'm not over-hyping these guys but I'm very happy with what the KR PX-4's bring to the table.  Just hope they last so I don't have to buy them again soon!

kdbrink

« Reply #79 on: 31 May 2017, 03:21 am »
+1

SV811's sound so good with rock!  :guitar:

If anyone is interested, I have two pair for sale in the classifieds. They did not like being near my plasma TV!