Dumb wireless questions

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Dumb wireless questions
« on: 27 Jun 2013, 09:21 am »
Looking to possibly move into the 21st century starting with an AirPort Express or AirDAC feeding the living room system (upstairs from the new iMac/main audio rig). 

- Can the iMac (without lots of gyrations) feed different signals to main rig and living room system?

- How can I control remotely (I don't own an iTouch/iPad/iPhone so I suppose I'd need to buy that too) again without lots of gyrations with access to my ripped CDs, internet streaming of favorite radio stations, and iTunes?

-  Opinions? AirPort Express (cheaper, offers digital or analog output) versus NuForce AirDAC?  BTW our router is located 15 feet above the living room system in a loft open to the living room.

- Note I tried a Squeeze Box years ago, super cool concept but it was far too glitchy, so I went back to spinning CDs.  I want to enjoy music, not be frustrated.

TIA

srb

Re: Dumb wireless questions
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jun 2013, 05:53 pm »
iTunes does not support playing different music streams to different locations, nor can multiple instances of iTunes run simultaneously.

The best solution would be to install another music player such as J. River Media Center.  JRMC could access the iTunes library and be used as the player for the main system, and iTunes could be used as the player to stream different content to Airplay devices.

Because you would probably want an iPhone/iPod/iPad (we'll refer to that as iDevice) for remote control, another possibility would be to use the iDevice to also share the Mac's iTunes library and using the iDevice internal iTunes player to wirelessly stream content from it to an Airplay device.  This could be used to stream yet another different content to an additional location.

If you have a decent router and little interference you should have good stable performance.  I have three Airport Express and each signal goes through two walls with distances of ~ 25 feet with no dropouts (Netgear WNDR3700).

Steve

PMAT

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jun 2013, 06:38 pm »
It took me a long time to find a remote app for I-devices. I was down for hip replacement and needed music therapy to help with the misery of being bed ridden. Its called Tango. You put it on  2 of your I-devices and they can control each other and sync remotely with your Itunes library. You will need a mini to rca adapter (Best Buy) to plug one device into your stereo if it doesn't have USB, HDMI or wireless inputs. It works remarkably well. I have an I-pad plugged into my stereo and I used my I-phone to control selection, volume etc. I have a huge library on there and I love to put it on mix so I dont know whats coming next. When I get a song that Im not in the mood for I just touch next to get the next song. You can pick artists, songs, albums etc. I also got a Denon Headphone digital EQ app for my phone and that is really cool to play with. You can knock out a room mode with a free app! Yes you puritans are scoffing but you should hear how good it is. I store in Lossless and it is great quality. I just keep the I-pad plugged into the wall for power.

JLM

« Reply #3 on: 28 Jun 2013, 09:47 am »
For $400 I could pick up a 64GB iTouch and load 300 albums in AAC format plus have internet streaming via iTunes (plenty for the living room system) and be done/simple.  I'd rip my collection on both AAC and ALAC formats and have AAC version for iDevices.

Can you rip CD's into iTunes on your computer?  I wanted to rip and use Pure Music/Amarra for my main rig.

Seems like the 21st century is still too complicated for me.  Maybe I'll just buy a cheap receiver to replace the one that recently died for the living room.

srb

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2013, 10:17 am »
For $400 I could pick up a 64GB iTouch and load 300 albums in AAC format plus have internet streaming via iTunes (plenty for the living room system) and be done/simple.
You could also get a less expensive 16GB or 32GB iPod Touch and access your complete library on the iMac via iTunes Sharing with full 16/44.1 resolution sent to an Airport Express (of course the iMac would have to be running with iTunes open).

I'd rip my collection on both AAC and ALAC formats and have AAC version for iDevices.
If you prefer to have your music stored on the iDevice, iTunes has an option to convert higher bit rate songs to 128 kbps, 192 kbps or 256 kbps AAC automatically when synchronizing to the iDevice, which would eliminate having to also rip a separate AAC version.

Can you rip CD's into iTunes on your computer?  I wanted to rip and use Pure Music/Amarra for my main rig.
Absolutely, just make sure to check 'Use error correction when reading Audio CDs' under Import Settings.

Seems like the 21st century is still too complicated for me.
It's actually pretty easy, just a matter of getting familiar with it initially and you always have the support of AC if you have questions.

Steve

JLM

« Reply #5 on: 29 Jun 2013, 01:36 am »
I'm getting really confused, I'll have to go back and re-read John R's tutorial for setting up my iMac as a music server.

Yes, I had thought a 16GB iTouch with AE would be all I needed, but if I can't listen to two different selections at once (one on the main rig in the basement man cave and the other in the upstairs living room) without adding a 3rd device, that option is less appealing as it would involve more complication/cost.