BDP-1 REVIEWS

Alpha10

Re: BDP-1 REVIEWS
« Reply #140 on: 20 Aug 2011, 12:29 pm »
"I can tell you that in the last two years I have heard a lot of CD players, music servers, and streamers.  The BDP-1 for me is clearly at the top of the heap, regardless of price point, and by a wide margin."

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-media-servers/music-servers/bryston-bdp-1-digital-file-player.html

james

Sounds like he intends to buy one?

James I think your sales to reviewers would keep your production team busy without anyone else....

:D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #141 on: 20 Aug 2011, 12:54 pm »
Sounds like he intends to buy one?

James I think your sales to reviewers would keep your production team busy without anyone else....

:D

Yes it certainly has been an interesting journey for me these last few months with the BDP-1.  It really has affected the reviewers in a very positive way. It is funny though how initially their first reaction to the BDP-1 player is -"what the hell is it and why do I care" - then they hear it and play with it and say "OK now I get it James" :thumb:

james
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2011, 01:56 pm by James Tanner »

BrysTony

« Reply #142 on: 20 Aug 2011, 01:39 pm »
"I can tell you that in the last two years I have heard a lot of CD players, music servers, and streamers.  The BDP-1 for me is clearly at the top of the heap, regardless of price point, and by a wide margin."

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-media-servers/music-servers/bryston-bdp-1-digital-file-player.html

james

At least at my home the BDP-1 has made CD players obsolete.  I received two CDs yesterday from Amazon and before I could play them I spent a few minutes ripping them and loading them on to the BDP-1.  I have been using the BDP-1 daily for 9 months now and I could not be happier with it.  :thumb: :thumb:

Tony

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #143 on: 20 Aug 2011, 02:23 pm »
At least at my home the BDP-1 has made CD players obsolete.  I received two CDs yesterday from Amazon and before I could play them I spent a few minutes ripping them and loading them on to the BDP-1.  I have been using the BDP-1 daily for 9 months now and I could not be happier with it.  :thumb: :thumb:

Tony

Tony,

What you are describing happened to me over five years ago when I committed to computer based audio and said goodbye to dealing with cd players forever.

The BDP-1 just makes the "discless" experience better!

George

Alpha10

« Reply #144 on: 20 Aug 2011, 02:27 pm »

Tony

Same here, my CDs get played once, to rip them and then go in the cupboard. The irony being I have never bought so many CDs as I have since buying the BDP-1, to then not actually play them! :duh:

Much to my Wife's shock I have also not played any vinyl since the BDP arrived! I have now mostly ripped them to 24/96 FLAC and enjoy them easily on the BDP.

Just need more storage now...

Cheers

headshrinker2

« Reply #145 on: 21 Aug 2011, 12:59 am »
Congrats James.  Another wonderful review.  So pleased that some of the most recent reviews have focused on sonics.   :thumb:

james

Marius

« Reply #146 on: 21 Aug 2011, 10:20 am »
to be honest I find it to be a useless and inadequate review. Great to see it likes the BDP, but we all do over here....justly so.
Hope it does Bryston any good, but suspect potential buyers to be a lot more inquisitive than this review, and many others for that matter, answers for.

I feel that mentioning the review on this forum is more to the benefit for the magazine and its commercial partners, and based upon this review unjustly so, than the review is for the BDP.

Utterly enjoying the BDP/BDA
Sorry.

Marius

Congrats James.  Another wonderful review.  So pleased that some of the most recent reviews have focused on sonics.   :thumb:

headshrinker2

« Reply #147 on: 21 Aug 2011, 03:43 pm »
Marius,
Interesting point of view.  For you, what would have made it a more useful review?

to be honest I find it to be a useless and inadequate review. Great to see it likes the BDP, but we all do over here....justly so.
Hope it does Bryston any good, but suspect potential buyers to be a lot more inquisitive than this review, and many others for that matter, answers for.

I feel that mentioning the review on this forum is more to the benefit for the magazine and its commercial partners, and based upon this review unjustly so, than the review is for the BDP.

Utterly enjoying the BDP/BDA
Sorry.

Marius

Marius

« Reply #148 on: 21 Aug 2011, 04:00 pm »
well it's not that easy to explain, but when I read the Stereophile's or the 6moons reviews, I feel that the reviewers do make an effort to try to measure the systems they review. They give a professional view, based on at least some 'objective' aspects.
Can still agree to disagree of course, but there seems to be at least some professional ethos.

this latest review does nothing but mention the BDP and say it sounds great. How easy is that. I really get the feeling they try to get "read" by google en attract visitors by mentioning the name Bryston only.

Be honest, what did you read in the review that was of some technical or musical interest.....What was the use for you reading this review. None whatsoever.

just my 2 cents of course.

Marius

Marius,
Interesting point of view.  For you, what would have made it a more useful review?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #149 on: 21 Aug 2011, 04:06 pm »
Thats interesting because the criticism I have gotten on preveous reviews was the reviewer spent to much time on the interfaces and technical stuff and not enough on the sound - which is the whole point of course.

Time to write a review Marius :thumb:

James

Marius

« Reply #150 on: 21 Aug 2011, 04:34 pm »
Hi James,

Indeed I think reviews ought to tackle all criteria: interface, technical stuff and sound. Of course I do. Don;t we all? the latest review did not really touch any of those. Merely saying it sounds better than machines "I auditioned the last 2 years" is  not very to the point...

We all know how websites try to attract visitors. Mentioning Bryston does attract. Justly so. You make great gear!

I think you wrote yourself that the demo is everything. And why. to get to know the reviewer and his/hers expertise on the subject. I missed that in the review we are discussing.

but: utterly enjoying Bach's Hohe Messe right now in 24/192: http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-j-s-bach-mass-in-b-minor-breitkopf-hartel-edition-edited-by-j-rifkin-2006.aspx

let us talk about music.

Marius

Thats interesting because the criticism I have gotten on preveous reviews was the reviewer spent to much time on the interfaces and technical stuff and not enough on the sound - which is the whole point of course.

Time to write a review Marius :thumb:

James

BrysTony

« Reply #151 on: 21 Aug 2011, 04:36 pm »
When I first looked at this review I scanned through it quickly and thought "yeah, yeah another great BDP-1 review.  I already know that stuff."  When I read Marius' post I decided to reread it more carefully.  My second take is that it is really an excellent review for the person who is not a BDP-1 owner and is researching info on the player.  Lots of good information about the player and its operation while emphasizing how it sounds.  It also includes good information provided through an interview with James as well as specifications and details on the review systems.  My conclusion is that it is an excellent source of information for the prospective BDP-1 buyer and that is really the primary value of any review.

Tony

DaveNote

• Without music, life would be a mistake. Nietzsche
« Reply #152 on: 21 Aug 2011, 05:54 pm »
Yes it certainly has been an interesting journey for me these last few months with the BDP-1.  It really has affected the reviewers in a very positive way. It is funny though how initially their first reaction to the BDP-1 player is -"what the hell is it and why do I care" - then they hear it and play with it and say "OK now I get it James" :thumb:

james

James, you may not remember, but when you announced the BDP-1 before it was shipped, you had to work like hell to explain what it was, saying mostly what it wasn't. I wrote you early on telling you that I simply couldn't see its advantage. But I bought is sight unseen (ser, no. 13) on faith I haven't been disappointed. But it shouldn't be surprising if reviewers ask "what the hell is it and why do I care."

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #153 on: 21 Aug 2011, 08:06 pm »
Hi Dave

Yes I think you are correct :duh:. When you go a different direction than everyone else some amount of criticism is common I guess. I remember reading a comment on an English forum after I announced the BDP and the poster said " Bryston must have some of the dumbest engineers in the world". Of course it was my idea not the engineers - I was crushed :duh:

James

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #154 on: 21 Aug 2011, 08:33 pm »
Hi Dave

Yes I think you are correct :duh:. When you go a different direction than everyone else some amount of criticism is common I guess. I remember reading a comment on an English forum after I announced the BDP and the poster said " Bryston must have some of the dumbest engineers in the world". Of course it was my idea not the engineers - I was crushed :duh:

James

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”

Theodore Roosevelt

terrycym

« Reply #155 on: 22 Aug 2011, 08:28 am »
Hi Dave

James
Unfortunately, a lot of people blindly go by what the "reviewer experts" say and base their buying decisions on they's, which I find astonishing.
A lot of people ask dumb questions in forums asking for advice from total stangers on what equipment to buy and they go out and buy it sight unseen (or unheard).
This is also happens in a lot of the camera forums.
Unfortunately, a lot of these "experts" have their own agendas which they don't publish, like take commisions and contracts from competitors.

There have been a number of damning reviews in the British press of the BDP-1. I listen to mine and smile! These guys loose my respect and I now longer take them seriously.
After all, what do I know, I spent my money on a BDP-1

DaveNote

« Reply #156 on: 22 Aug 2011, 12:21 pm »
Hi Dave

James

James: You can take full credit for the great idea in creating the BDP-1, and the decision after its introduction to make changes users were asking for, a number of whom made their wishes known on this circle. Clearly, you can't do all that all users may want, but if being an audiophile means keeping your ears open, being an audio manufacturer surely must mean keeping them open wider still.

But I think you would agree that the main point is to learn from past experience, which is one of Bryston's strengths.

One new product that you're soon to introduce is the BHA-1 headphone amp. On the plus side, you have responded to those potential buyers who need a balance control. What has yet to be known is how much the product will be responsive to the headphone market. You have been acquiring headphones to test the unit, but I wonder if you have been as aggressive in researching what the headphone market wants, and above all, if have you looked at the real competition, namely the many headphone amps available, some of which are priced well above the BHA-1's tentative price and others well below.

From what I've read, it appears that the headphone amp market seems to want powerful amps, not only because they drive orthodynamic headphones better, but also because they would appear to drive all headphones better. And IMHO, this market demand is driven to a large extent by enthusiasts for whom professional and consumer reviews are important - perhaps more important even than in other audio markets because it is rare to be able to demo some of these amps (see the Demo is Dead thread).

Enthusiasts would like to know how the BHA-1 compares to other headphone amps - Woo, Burson, Schiit, HeadRoom, etc. etc.? Maybe you can't acquire all these, but looking at Headphone Mania on AC would tell you what the respected and hot ones are?

In the run up to the shipping of the BHA-1, a number of potential buyers have been asking for "detailed" descriptions about how the BHA-1 performs especially with hard-to-drive cans, and especially when compared to other amps. Saying they sound nice or good, with respect, doesn't help much.

You know that I am a long-time Bryston customer, and one of your most satisfied customers because the company always executes well and service is impeccable. And I'm sure that the BHA-1 is likely to be outstanding. But in developing and setting the stage for its introduction, the things I've mentioned here, could help you in avoiding the uphill "explanation" battle that you encountered with potential customers and reviewers that you had with the marvelous BDP-1. This time, my guess is that the big question to answer now is, "Why does the world need another headphone amp, and why does Bryston think it has something to offer that other headphone amps don't deliver?"

Dave

SHV

« Reply #157 on: 22 Aug 2011, 02:58 pm »
A lot of people ask dumb questions in forums asking for advice from total stangers on what equipment to buy and they go out and buy it sight unseen (or unheard).
Including me.  Without local dealers for "high end" gear,  seeing and hearing is difficult.  I bought my BDA/P combo after reading about the BDP here.  As an owner of other Bryston products, I was confident that I was buying high quality at a fair price and ordered on-line without a second thought.

Steve

DaveNote

« Reply #158 on: 22 Aug 2011, 03:58 pm »
Including me.  Without local dealers for "high end" gear,  seeing and hearing is difficult.  I bought my BDA/P combo after reading about the BDP here.  As an owner of other Bryston products, I was confident that I was buying high quality at a fair price and ordered on-line without a second thought.

Steve

Steve, I'm right with you on this! I just finished ordering something where there was just no way to kick the tires first. I spent several days reading and asking a lot of questions - often really dumb ones - before deciding what to buy and where to buy it. And then there is a lot of crossing of fingers waiting for stuff to come and wondering if it's going to be right. This is why I wrote the long message on this thread to James this morning about the BHA-1, because like so many on this circle, we have a lot of trust in him and Bryston, and are crying out for lots of information (in effect, pre-release reviews in the case of the BHA-1) more than just to satisfy our curiosity - it is what we need to make buying decisions.

Dave

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #159 on: 22 Aug 2011, 04:20 pm »
James: You can take full credit for the great idea in creating the BDP-1, and the decision after its introduction to make changes users were asking for, a number of whom made their wishes known on this circle. Clearly, you can't do all that all users may want, but if being an audiophile means keeping your ears open, being an audio manufacturer surely must mean keeping them open wider still.

But I think you would agree that the main point is to learn from past experience, which is one of Bryston's strengths.

One new product that you're soon to introduce is the BHA-1 headphone amp. On the plus side, you have responded to those potential buyers who need a balance control. What has yet to be known is how much the product will be responsive to the headphone market. You have been acquiring headphones to test the unit, but I wonder if you have been as aggressive in researching what the headphone market wants, and above all, if have you looked at the real competition, namely the many headphone amps available, some of which are priced well above the BHA-1's tentative price and others well below.

From what I've read, it appears that the headphone amp market seems to want powerful amps, not only because they drive orthodynamic headphones better, but also because they would appear to drive all headphones better. And IMHO, this market demand is driven to a large extent by enthusiasts for whom professional and consumer reviews are important - perhaps more important even than in other audio markets because it is rare to be able to demo some of these amps (see the Demo is Dead thread).

Enthusiasts would like to know how the BHA-1 compares to other headphone amps - Woo, Burson, Schiit, HeadRoom, etc. etc.? Maybe you can't acquire all these, but looking at Headphone Mania on AC would tell you what the respected and hot ones are?

In the run up to the shipping of the BHA-1, a number of potential buyers have been asking for "detailed" descriptions about how the BHA-1 performs especially with hard-to-drive cans, and especially when compared to other amps. Saying they sound nice or good, with respect, doesn't help much.

You know that I am a long-time Bryston customer, and one of your most satisfied customers because the company always executes well and service is impeccable. And I'm sure that the BHA-1 is likely to be outstanding. But in developing and setting the stage for its introduction, the things I've mentioned here, could help you in avoiding the uphill "explanation" battle that you encountered with potential customers and reviewers that you had with the marvelous BDP-1. This time, my guess is that the big question to answer now is, "Why does the world need another headphone amp, and why does Bryston think it has something to offer that other headphone amps don't deliver?"

Dave

Hi Dave,

So far I have checked out these:

http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa22.html

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/headroom-balanced-ultra-desktop-amp-buda.php

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Phoenix/PH1.jpg

http://aphroditecu29.com/Violectric/V181.aspx

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/b-52

http://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/products/apache

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=31

james