MiniReview Musical Fidelity XLPS v Perreaux SXV-1 phonostage

Rocket

Hi Guys,

I've been chomping at the bit to have my friend over and compare his vinyl system to mine.

Over the last couple of months i've purchased a perreaux sxv-1 phonostage which cost me $420au, i believe it sells for $350us(in the states), i purchased it for a good price from my local hifi dealer.  I also purchased my Bluenote Piccolo Turntable which i believes sells for about $1200us(states), i imported mine from singapore which cost me $1400au.

My system:

Bluenote Piccolo Turntable
Perreaux sxv-1 phonostage
N.E.W. P3 (tube preamp with remote control)
Aksa 100 (nirvana amplifier)
W.A.R. Audio speakers (mtm design 2 x 7 inch Focal mid/bass drivers and raven 1 ribbon tweeter)
cables:  bolder digital and ic's.  axon speaker cable.

My friend has an old Acoustic Research EB101 turntable, it sold for $1000au in the early 90's and was favourably compared to the rega 3 by hifi magazines at the time (i actually sold this turntable to my friend for a bargain price  :( ).  My friend also has the musical fidelity xlps and power supply which costs $1000au as a combination.

First up we played my perreaux for about 1 hour and we both thought it sounded quite good.  We played mostly reasonable quality rock albums (sorry this is my preferred music on vinyl).  During our time with the perreaux phonostage hum was audible from the seated position (about 8').

My friend and i swapped out the perreaux for the musical fidelity (it had been warming up for about 1 hour prior to this) and both of us agreed we thought the mf was more refined in the top end and had a less aggressive sound compared to the perreaux phonostage.  The sound stage was comparable between both units and we couldn't really notice any differences except as stated previously.  

We both agree that the musical fidelity had a slight edge sonically compared to the perreaux, however the hum issue of the perreaux is unacceptable imo.

Okay we now removed my Bluenote Turntable from the system and placed the Acoustic Research TT and started playing it.  We both immediately agreed that the AR tt sounded more refined again compared to the piccolo.  it had a deeper soundstage and was again more refined in the top end compared to the piccolo tt.

I'm not surprised the Bluenote tt did not perform as good as the old trustworthy Acoustic Research tt, as my tt has very cheap audio technica cartridge which was thrown in as a deal sweetener.  The AR tt had installed a shure 97he cartridge which i bought when i had the turntable and which i always thought was a good performer for the $$$.

You might think that i should be feeling a bit depressed but i'm not (although my friend was happy).  It has confirmed my opinion that i have to replace the cartridge in my turntable as soon as possible to get the best possible sound.

I will also contact my dealer and perreaux and find out why i have so much hum in my system.  it must be grounding issue.  The perreaux has always just been a fill in job until i can afford something better.

Anyway that is the conclusion of my mini-review, hopefully it will give some help to prospective purchasers of these 2 units.  I do believe (even though i hate to say so) that i have been as honest as possible with my opinions.

Regards

Rocket

Rocket

Mini-Review Mf v Perreaux
« Reply #1 on: 11 Jan 2004, 01:00 am »
BUMP may'be we need to turn audiocircle into a Religious forum :o , seems like there is more interest in this type of discussion  :P .

regards

rocket

mgalusha

« Reply #2 on: 11 Jan 2004, 01:33 am »
I read and enjoyed your post Rod, just didn't have anything to add. :)

Mike G.

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #3 on: 11 Jan 2004, 02:19 am »
Rocket,
thanks for the review.  It finally rang a bell about the hum--the Stereophile article points out that the Perreaux is susceptible to picking up
60 cycle AC hum, so placement of the unit is critical.  Fremer must have had a hummer as well since he pointed out that the unit was dead quiet
after finding its best location.

For everyone's benefit, the Stereophile review suggests mating a warmish cartridge like the $300US Grado Platinum with the Perreaux.

Rocket

Shootout Mf xlps v Perreaux sxv-1
« Reply #4 on: 11 Jan 2004, 11:54 am »
Hi TY & Mgalushu,

Thankx for the reply to my mini shootout.  After looking at the Religious post and seeing 98 odd replies (sorry i am a Bush Baptist and won't reply) i couldn't help but have a swipe  8) .

Anyway the shootout really did give me an indication of component cababilities and i probably agree that for flexibility the pereeaux phonostage it is a good quality product.  However the Musical Fidelity really is slightly better sonically and has No hum compared to the perreaux phonostage.

As Mike suggested previously to me I may have to try and build the hagerman technoligies bugle diy phonostage and compare the 3 units again.

Also a new cartridge (probably the shure v15) will have to be considered as well.

Best Wishes

Rocket

mgalusha

« Reply #5 on: 11 Jan 2004, 01:30 pm »
The Musical Fidelity is dead quiet using the MM inputs in my system but hums badly using the MC inputs. I was able to get enough gain using the MM inputs  in combination with the preamp gain and this was much quieter. I also tried the Lundahl step up transformers and the MM inputs and that was even better. Just as quiet plus not having to run the preamp nearly wide open seemed to provide better dynamics.

In my system the Hagerman Bugle was quite a step up from the Musical Fidelity. IMO you would be well rewarded for your efforts if you build one.  :)

Mike

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #6 on: 11 Jan 2004, 01:46 pm »
Quote from: mgalusha
The Musical Fidelity ..... . I was able to get enough gain using the MM inputs  in combination with the preamp gain and this was much quieter. I also tried the Lundahl step up transformers and the MM inputs and that was even better. ......
Mike

Isn't there a question of impedance matching in addition to supplying enough gain???  Wonder if using the Lundahl made for better mating of impedances as well as providing more gain??
(I'm just thinking aloud since I don't know the specifics of cartridge used or the specs of the MF).

nature boy

« Reply #7 on: 11 Jan 2004, 02:03 pm »
Hey Rocket,

Thanks for posting the comparisons.  Based on the coverage that I have seen from CES and THE SHOW it appears that a lot of manufacturers have new phono preamps out on the market.  It does appear that the vinyl bug is catching.

While it is good to have more choices, it certainly does make decisions a little more difficult.  

I have been struggling with a new phono preamp decision for a couple of months.  After listening to a half dozen from local dealers or in friends systems (including the Musical Fidelity phono preamp), I just did not have the urge to plunk down my cash for a buy.  Don't get me wrong, they sounded nice but nothing really special.

I finally decided on a Dynavector P-75, based on a very limited listening session and discussions with a few vinyl junkies from across the pond.  Boiled down the P-75 or an assembled Hagerman Coronet premium phono preamp.  Unfortunately I could not get a listen to the latter.

Thanks for taking time to do the comparison.  :D   Now we can waste it looking for good used vinyl finds.

NB

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #8 on: 11 Jan 2004, 03:55 pm »
I'm not sure if this needs to be pointed out, but there ARE three different MF XLP phono stages.  Rocket is talking about the first one in the single cylindrical tube, there's also the three can dual-mono X-LP2 (which retialed for about $800??) and now there's a more normal looking box with V3 in its model number.  For a prospective buyer, I'm not sure how easily a X-LPs can be obtained on the used market.

One was on eBay recently for $210.

Rocket

phonostage comparisons
« Reply #9 on: 12 Jan 2004, 01:35 am »
Hi Natureboy,

I don't want to dissuade you from buying the dynavector phonostage but have you considered the Plinius Jarrah phonostage?

That particular phonostage has been getting great reviews.

In a month of so i will buy the bugle from jim and possibly try and retrofit it into my n.e.w. preamp.

regards

rocket

nature boy

« Reply #10 on: 12 Jan 2004, 02:59 am »
Rocket,

I have heard great things about the Plinius, but did not get a chance to give it a listen.  It was a tad out of my price range.

NB

Rocket

phonostage recommendations
« Reply #11 on: 12 Jan 2004, 03:03 am »
Hi Natureboy,

I know how you feel as i always have a tight budget.

I have wine tastes but beer money  :lol: .

I hope the dynavector works well for you, please let us know what you think of it.

regards

rod

mgalusha

« Reply #12 on: 12 Jan 2004, 04:15 am »
Quote from: Tonto Yoder
Isn't there a question of impedance matching in addition to supplying enough gain???  Wonder if using the Lundahl made for better mating of impedances as well as providing more gain??
(I'm just thinking aloud since I don't know the specifics of cartridge used or the specs of the MF).

TY,

I'm sure that had something to do with it although the MC inputs on the MF should have been more in line with what the cartridge was expecting. I am currently using a Grado statement series Platinum. Grado's website lists the desired loading at 47KΩ. I'm not sure what the MC loading on the XLP-S is. If I remember correctly the MC input was noisy even without the TT connected. I'll have to pull it out and check. :)

With the step up transformers the cartridge is seeing about a 4700Ω load since the turns ratio is 10:1. I'm certainly no expert on cartridge loading but it does sound very good with the step up's and the Cornet. :D

Mike

Tonto Yoder

« Reply #13 on: 12 Jan 2004, 05:11 am »
Vinyl Engine has the MF X-LPS manual online and gives the specs as:

MM input
     Sensitivity                3mV
      Input impedance      47K ohms
      THD                        <0.01%  @ 1Khz
      Input overload         27 dB
      S/N ratio                  >80dB "A" weighted

MC input