Stand mount loudspeakers

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Stand mount loudspeakers
« Reply #20 on: 13 Apr 2018, 11:31 am »
I like Fritz and his speakers (more full bodied and easier to live with than most) but need big ballsy power to get the most of the them.

MtnHam

• Industry Participant
  • SoundLab and Fritz Speakers Dealer
« Reply #21 on: 13 Apr 2018, 02:29 pm »
I like Fritz and his speakers (more full bodied and easier to live with than most) but need big ballsy power to get the most of the them.

Pass Lab XA-30.8 (30 watts Class A power) doing a fantastic job. Ballsy?

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #22 on: 13 Apr 2018, 07:52 pm »
I went way off the reservation to pursue the ultimate in a small speaker using scan speak drivers. Don't know if it's the ultimate, most likely not, but very dang good, with stunning bass out of the small woofer, equalling or beating most 8" woofers in power.

-SA Pandion    https://system-audio.com/product/sa-pandion-2-2/

Going active is an excellent way to go and what I would do starting fresh.

Rocket_Ronny
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2018, 11:11 pm by Rocket_Ronny »

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #23 on: 13 Apr 2018, 09:38 pm »
I went way off the reservation to pursue the ultimate in a small speaker using scan speak drivers. Don't know if it's the ultimate, most likely not, but very dang good, with stunning bass out of the small woofer, equalling most 8" woofers in power.

-SA Pandion    https://system-audio.com/product/sa-pandion-2-2/

Going active is an excellent way to go and what I would do starting fresh.

Rocket_Ronny

Similar to North Creek (now defunct) Kitty Kat Revelator series:

http://www.northcreekmusic.com/Retired/Kitty_Kat/kitty_kat.html

Best,
Anand.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #24 on: 14 Apr 2018, 02:00 am »
Cool, never heard of them. Leave it to a true junky to find such a find. You have to be the most intense gear head I know, that's a compliment. I don't like their 2-8 inch from the wall design though.

I had a musician over who mixes his own stuff on some good $1,000.00 dollar active pro monitors, forget the make, model, and he was shocked at the bass output of the SA Pandions. The only 2 way monitors I have heard with a deeper bass was the Volents VL 2s I had, but it was not better or much more impactful than the SA's? Going on memory here. We are talking floor stander volume of bass.

Bass of course is not the whole story. As over achieving as the 5.5 inch, long throw, woofer is in itls delivery, so is the entire speaker. The only thing I don't like about it is the inflated price. Had I not gotten a great deal on some demos I would not own them as I would not have paid the retail. Just more than I want to spend. Even with the deal they were way high in price. Glad to have them though.

Rocket Ronny

P.S. These are not off the shelf Scan Speak drivers used, but are custom designed for SA to their specs.

dburna

« Reply #25 on: 14 Apr 2018, 03:17 pm »
I have a pair (in San Francisco) and have to agree with Jerry.  If any AC members would like to hear them, send me a PM.

+1 on the Fritz Carrera BE's. I heard them at AXPONA yesterday and was very impressed. Coherent, musical, and -- as stated -- without any significant sonic errors. I talked with Fritz at-length yesterday (very nice guy, and super-knowledgeable and passionate about his work) and learned a lot. I don't understand fully the serial crossover he uses, but I can attest to the fact that his speakers sound great, better than many over-priced competitors. If I was in the market for a passive standmount monitor, my search would likely begin and end with Fritz. Throw in that he can source a large selection of veneers and it's a no-brainer IMO. Dunno how they produce a metal-based tweeter that I like, but the treble is airy and extended. I wouldn't be able to tell this was a metal dome unless you told me.

I also heard the Dynaudio Special 40 yesterday and liked it, but it got somewhat congested when they tried to push the decibels on it. Fine speaker for low and sane listening levels, though.

I wanted to like the Raidho monitors I heard yesterday, but they were also cranked too loud and started to break up IMO. Some of these dealers just don't know how to show their wares to best effect.

The TAD monitors at AXPONA (can't recall the model number) were lovely, but their price tag puts them well out of my consideration. The pair they had was lovely, however, in a muted shade of green-grey. Always nice to see manufacturers produce a color other than white, black, or brown (wood veneers) that actually looks tasteful.

If you want to go to a somewhat bigger standmount, the Tekton speakers at AXPONA (in a vibrant shade of electric orange!) demoed with Parasound gear sounded mighty fine....and they sport a sane price tag as well.

Now, if the choice was between passive and active standmounts/monitors, that might be a different decision. Ultimately, I think that is where I will end up when we downsize. Given my good experience with the KH120's, the Neumann KH310 might be the first place I start to look. I liked some of the ATC actives I heard at AXPONA yesterday, but they start at a stratospheric price and go up from there, so they are a non-starter for me unless I find a pair of ATC 19 Actives used at a "can't refuse" price.

Regards,  -dGB

seadogs1

« Reply #26 on: 17 Apr 2018, 12:54 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. Sorry for not posting sooner but I've been busy digging out from all The snow up here. A quick question for all the active speaker enthusiasts, WHY? Could you give me the reasons why you are so assured that if I heard an active loudspeaker I would never go back to passive. Thanks Again!

dB Cooper

« Reply #27 on: 17 Apr 2018, 03:10 pm »
One of the reasons may be that you can control crossover characteristics to a much greater degree with actives and thus get optimum performance from the individual drivers.

dburna

« Reply #28 on: 17 Apr 2018, 03:22 pm »
One of the reasons may be that you can control crossover characteristics to a much greater degree with actives and thus get optimum performance from the individual drivers.

dB Cooper has the primary gist of it -- digital crossovers and DSP allows for a more precise crossover design, plus then you can design amps that are optimised for just the frequency range for that particular driver. Nothing separating the amp and speaker (theoretically) means a more copacetic design. That, plus the designer should be able to tailor the combination of amp/driver, whereas we civilians are just "mixing-&-matching" amps and speakers at random, sometimes resulting in a good match, sometimes not.

Drawbacks:
1. Customers don't have the option to mix-&-match amps and speakers -- I would assert this is a plus, not a minus. Most of us do *NOT* know more than a designer.....I know I don't.
2. If a designer makes an overly cost-saving choice on amp/speaker, you are stuck. This can happen, but that's what home demos are for.
3. Amp/DSP located in the cabinet is subject to more vibrations. Yes, I would agree with this, but doesn't the same thing happen to (most) crossovers in a passive crossover design speaker also? That is, unless you have an external crossover box, but to me that's just another headache and space hog.

Just my $0.02,  -dGB (I added the G recently)

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate

seadogs1

« Reply #30 on: 17 Apr 2018, 05:11 pm »
THANKS KEEP 'EM COMING!

seadogs1

« Reply #31 on: 4 May 2018, 05:36 pm »
Okay with all the new stand mount loudspeakers out there which ones specifically should I audition for a smaller room? Please give details. Thanks!!!! I'll be looking at a whole new system so I'll be matching the rest of the system to the speakers I choose.

Letitroll98

• Facilitator
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #32 on: 4 May 2018, 06:26 pm »
Price range?  Sub or not?  Room size?  Musical preferences?  System preferences, i.e. warm, analytical, soundstage?

seadogs1

« Reply #33 on: 4 May 2018, 07:31 pm »
Room size 15x 12 8 ft ceilings. Undecided about subs. Type of music, all kinds. Price range to $15000.00. System preferences, wide and deep soundstage, Good piano, violin and great female voices and NO head in a vice.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #34 on: 4 May 2018, 09:06 pm »
$15k for speakers, or the system?

My first thought before seeing the price tag was a pair of KEF LS50Ws. Fantastic little speakers for a small room. All you need is a good source.

jhm731

jonbee

« Reply #36 on: 4 May 2018, 10:50 pm »
The best reasonably priced standmounts for a medium room I've experienced would be the Selah Tempestas or one of the variants. $3500 and up, more or less. In a room the size of yours you should have good bass into the mid 30s. A good sub would extend that, of course.
Take a look at Rick's stuff here on AC. Very impressive parts and design quality for the $. He's a great resource here.

mresseguie

• SW1X DAC+ D Sachs 300b + Daedalus Apollos = Heaven
« Reply #37 on: 4 May 2018, 11:36 pm »
Hello, seadogs.

I hope your quest produces some great suggestions since I’ve been thinking about the same thing (except my max budget is lower) for a while now.

I’ve read great things about the Tempestas, but never heard them.

The standmount speakers that were responsible for my eventually buying Daedalus Apollos were Aldcoll’s (Alan) Daedalus Pans. They are three-way standmounted speakers sporting an eight inch woofer, a five inch full range driver (limited to a specific frequency range), and a one inch soft dome tweeter. The Pans (94db(??), 8 Ohm) are Lou Hinkley’s entry level models and they perform extremely well in small and medium sized rooms (in my opinion). They benefit from the addition of one or two subs, but they’re not necessary for most music. I believe a pair will run you approximately $6500, but this price may be dated. 
Perhaps, Alan will chime in.

In addition to the above speakers, I have played with the idea of having a pair of stand mounted three-way kits made to my specs with flat packs made for them. The idea is to get the flat packs to Taiwan in my luggage, purchase the drivers in Taiwan and assemble them here. If Lou would agree to this scheme (he won’t), I’d probably buy a pair of Pan kit speakers. As it is, I have approached both Rick at Selah Audio and Kerry at CSS with very rough ideas, but I have not gotten serious enough to discuss solid designs with either of them.

I’ll melt back into lurk mode to see what develops. Perhaps LesterSleepsIn will offer some insight. He’s been searching for something similar for a while. [It makes me wish I were his neighbor!]

Best of luck,

Michael

Carl V

« Reply #38 on: 4 May 2018, 11:52 pm »
Stand mount monitors?
I just heard SELAH Epico.
Very nice.  Nice detail. And with his dsp
On board very accomadating. Nearfiield
With your room size these are a contender.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #39 on: 5 May 2018, 04:43 am »
There are some good ideas in this Thread, too.   :scratch: