Genez

Re: AC receptacle burn in
« Reply #60 on: 12 Nov 2017, 04:02 am »

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #61 on: 12 Nov 2017, 04:39 am »
Had the opposite...
An orange faceHospital receptacle I installed..
Well after a few months I was wondering what was wrong..
I took the receptical out and replaced it with a regular one.
KABOOM. great sound was back

I broke open the odd sounding receptacle, and it had some sort of oil in it.
(I guess to repress sparking?) Anyway. It certainly is possible to hear an outlet.
LOL.
When I mentioned it on a website at the time. Other folks chimed in with the same problem with that brand and type of receptacle

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #62 on: 13 Nov 2017, 02:24 pm »
If your system allows you to hear the burn in process, sometimes a new receptacle will need some burn in.  I believe someday a scientist will learn what takes place on the microscopic atomic level.   I am right now burning in a new piece of equipment and its sound has changed very noticeably over the last four days of constantly being turned on.  And, my NuPrime ST-10 amp sounded not so good out of the box.   But leaving it on for a few days changed its sound considerably. 
....................................... ..............
I have had systems where I would not have heard equipment burning in.  I am wondering if that may be the case for the naysayers.
Right now, scientists & engineers can measure changes and differences orders of magnitude smaller than anything in hi-fi.
Anything that changes will matter more in sensitive medical, scientific and engineering circuits, than in hi-fi.

« Reply #63 on: 13 Nov 2017, 04:00 pm »
There's enough heat and smoke on this thread to cook a whole school of red herrings. Meanwhile, the light is so dim I'm not sure how anyone can tell how much ad hominem sauce they're squirting onto their fillets.

It's so easy to lay something like this to rest. Install two identical receptacles behind your stereo rig.  Plug in to one of them and run your rig that way for a month or two while running nothing on the other receptacle.

Then invite your audio buddies over, unplug everything, clean all contacts carefully, and spend an evening setting up and conducting any experiment you like – double blind, single blind, etc.

Right there behind your stereo is a burnt in receptacle and a non-burnt in receptacle.

No more red herrings. No more personal attacks. Just listening and learning.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #64 on: 13 Nov 2017, 05:38 pm »
  Again my challenge. I have a PIAudio Digibuss with a Voodoo all copper cryo treated receptacle and a Furutech GTX Rhodium installed. One can easily discern a difference when compared directly.  Last time I offered this nobody came except my audio buddies who were impressed with demo and now understand the difference heard. Wonder why ?? Afraid to learn or admit your just wrong ??
After awhile with so many subjective opinions of they sound different would that not be enough for science to start testing of such ?

charles

Genez

« Reply #65 on: 13 Nov 2017, 06:13 pm »
There's enough heat and smoke on this thread to cook a whole school of red herrings. Meanwhile, the light is so dim I'm not sure how anyone can tell how much ad hominem sauce they're squirting onto their fillets.

It's so easy to lay something like this to rest. Install two identical receptacles behind your stereo rig.  Plug in to one of them and run your rig that way for a month or two while running nothing on the other receptacle.

Then invite your audio buddies over, unplug everything, clean all contacts carefully, and spend an evening setting up and conducting any experiment you like – double blind, single blind, etc.

Right there behind your stereo is a burnt in receptacle and a non-burnt in receptacle.

No more red herrings. No more personal attacks. Just listening and learning.

An audio system is like a marriage...  If you have a sensitivity born by love you will notice small changes in your spouse.  If you married for utilitarian purposes?  Marriage will only serve a practical purpose and you will become dull to the other once the novelty wears off. Some marry for prestige. Like that high end system is for those who buy for the love of their self esteem... Some marry to be like others around them who are getting married, and get what is commonly accepted because you must have one too.  And,  some marry because of a love that will grow over time. They understand burn in...  Burn in?   "Hah!... a wife is for this, or that.... you know.  What's the big deal?    Just get spend enough money on an expensive system considered a good system, and be happy with it."   :wink:

« Reply #66 on: 13 Nov 2017, 06:22 pm »
  Again my challenge. I have a PIAudio Digibuss with a Voodoo all copper cryo treated receptacle and a Furutech GTX Rhodium installed. One can easily discern a difference when compared directly.  Last time I offered this nobody came except my audio buddies who were impressed with demo and now understand the difference heard. Wonder why ?? Afraid to learn or admit your just wrong ??
After awhile with so many subjective opinions of they sound different would that not be enough for science to start testing of such ?

charles

I don't think this thread is about whether better receptacles improve sound. It's about whether a receptacle sounds better after "burn in."

A ridiculously easy way to test the assertion is to install two identical receptacles behind your rig, "burn in" one as long as you like while leaving the other one unused, and then doing controlled listening tests comparing the two.

Same could/should also be done with completely different receptacles, but the burn-in assertion is the one put forth here so the tests would need to be between otherwise identical receptacles, one a virgin to plugs and the other well-used.

Genez

« Reply #67 on: 13 Nov 2017, 06:23 pm »

Hey!    The world is flat!  Just look around you!~    Now go back in your hut and be quiet!  :surrender:

Because?   If I can't hear it!  YOU can't hear it!   

Don't be naive with them.   :nono:

They will never "listen." 

Baseball legend Ted Williams had such keen eyesight he used to be able to actually see the seams of a baseball that was being pitched to him.  Was he imagining things?    Some will say its obviously untrue because they can not. 

Meaning?   Some can hear things that others can not. 

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #68 on: 13 Nov 2017, 06:42 pm »
I don't think this thread is about whether better receptacles improve sound. It's about whether a receptacle sounds better after "burn in."

A ridiculously easy way to test the assertion is to install two identical receptacles behind your rig, "burn in" one as long as you like while leaving the other one unused, and then doing controlled listening tests comparing the two.

Same could/should also be done with completely different receptacles, but the burn-in assertion is the one put forth here so the tests would need to be between otherwise identical receptacles, one a virgin to plugs and the other well-used.

Yes agreed. However I did that first. Had one broken in and one not. Just offering the point that different ones sound different not better.

charles

« Reply #69 on: 13 Nov 2017, 07:04 pm »

Some can hear things that others can not.

Well duh.

So "burn in" one receptacle, leave another identical receptacle beside it virgin, invite folks over, and make controlled comparisons. Let science confirm what you think you're hearing.

Genez

« Reply #70 on: 13 Nov 2017, 07:51 pm »
Well duh.

So "burn in" one receptacle, leave another identical receptacle beside it virgin, invite folks over, and make controlled comparisons. Let science confirm what you think you're hearing.

It all depends on the system... and if they have ears like you. Seriously.... there is a major rift in audio between the two camps.  There must be a reason for it.  Those who do not hear anything dismiss it as an aberration and delusion of those who do,  because they know there exists suggestible people in this world.  Its an insult to astute audiophiles when that tact is pulled in ego-defense by the ones who just simply do not have that gift to hear that way.

Do all people like classical music?   No.   Do those who do not like it find themselves unable to hear it?  No.  They just do not connect.  Yet its there just the same.

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #71 on: 13 Nov 2017, 08:08 pm »
I don't know if I hear it.  All I know is that mine must be burned in by now after many years.   :thumb:

MttBsh

« Reply #72 on: 13 Nov 2017, 08:19 pm »
I wonder what the almost 1 billion people who don't have access to enough food to maintain proper health would have to say about this argument. They likely don't have internet access either, so we're unlikely to hear from them.

« Reply #73 on: 13 Nov 2017, 08:32 pm »
Science can measure hormones but it can't measure love.
Audiophiles who love their systems hear better than folks who don't feel the same affection for their gear.
Some people don't like classical music and some do.

Therefore, suggesting controlled comparisons as a way to test whether AC receptacles can actually "burn in" makes me either deaf or in need of a good audio system or both.

Makes sense to me.

Genez

« Reply #74 on: 14 Nov 2017, 01:10 am »

In what year was the condition color blindness discovered?  1794.  Up until then?   Was anyone color blind?   

There may be something going on right now that we should not be fighting over...

« Reply #75 on: 14 Nov 2017, 01:39 am »
I'm not fighting over anything. I'm just pleading for clear thinking free of fallacy, and for being willing to put subjective perceptions to the test.

It would be so cool to do the test on my system. My amp will play music for about 20 seconds UNPLUGGED so you could switch receptacles without interrupting the music at all.

At my house I could install two identical receptacles, burn one in for two or three months while leaving the other alone, then have folks over to listen while, behind a screen, I could switch back and forth between receptacles without anyone knowing when or whether. If the burn in is real the folks over for the test would find themselves saying, "OK, now that just got better," and, "Wait, it's blurred (or grainy, or harsh, or whatever) now." And I would be back behind the screen plugging and unplugging and taking notes.

What could possibly be objectionable about such a session? What could possibly be the problem with putting "receptacle burn in" theory to such a test?

Genez

« Reply #76 on: 14 Nov 2017, 01:45 am »

Audiophiles who love their systems hear better than folks who don't feel the same affection for their gear.

Similar thing with automobiles.

Some people by their design simply want a "utility" vehicle that gets them from point A to point B. Some car manufacturers even design cars specifically for such a person.  Others want to feel connected to the road when they drive.

Will both like, or notice, the same things when test driving a vehicle?  No. Likewise?  For those who do, and do not,  discern breaking in a component? 

Genez

« Reply #77 on: 14 Nov 2017, 02:37 am »
I'm not fighting over anything. I'm just pleading for clear thinking free of fallacy, and for being willing to put subjective perceptions to the test.

It would be so cool to do the test on my system. My amp will play music for about 20 seconds UNPLUGGED so you could switch receptacles without interrupting the music at all.

At my house I could install two identical receptacles, burn one in for two or three months while leaving the other alone, then have folks over to listen while, behind a screen, I could switch back and forth between receptacles without anyone knowing when or whether. If the burn in is real the folks over for the test would find themselves saying, "OK, now that just got better," and, "Wait, it's blurred (or grainy, or harsh, or whatever) now." And I would be back behind the screen plugging and unplugging and taking notes.

What could possibly be objectionable about such a session? What could possibly be the problem with putting "receptacle burn in" theory to such a test?

I do not want to even talk about receptacles.   I did once take the plunge and got a modest level (about 25.00) audiophile high grade receptacle.  It was definitely better made than the typical inexpensive types which are flimsy in comparison.   

Why did I do it?   Because I had already witnessed to noticeable improvements with power cords.  And, with better fuses.   So..  It seemed logical to give it a try.

With the receptacle?  I can not say I noticed anything...

Well.. I got it.  So now it stays in the wall.  Definitely not getting another one.

« Reply #78 on: 14 Nov 2017, 03:23 am »
I do not want to even talk about receptacles.

Then I suggest you read the title of this thread and take your musings elsewhere. What a strange thing to write after posting so many comments on a thread dedicated to questions about receptacles.

Genez

« Reply #79 on: 14 Nov 2017, 03:45 am »
Then I suggest you read the title of this thread and take your musings elsewhere. What a strange thing to write after posting so many comments on a thread dedicated to questions about receptacles.

I so often see naysayers speaking about those who think burn in is a delusion that I got caught up wrongly.  OK...   

and, to be fair.. Now that I thought about it.. ...   It might just be that I heard no major difference with a receptacle in my case because all my system runs through an Audience Adept Response conditioner.