Magnestands come to visit

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
Re: Magnestands come to visit
« Reply #60 on: 11 Mar 2013, 01:38 pm »
Does anyone recommend getting 3.7s Magnestanded (or whatever the term is)?

Frankly, no – unless PG has changed his strategy of converting the 3-ways to 2-ways. I don't know how to put this gently, but the concept of running the ribbon along side the midrange is, well, objectionable to me. It also seems a bit risky – as designed, it's protected from an excess of 18 watts, which is fine for the treble. Asking it to operate in the midrange will be demanding that it survive being subjected to more than it was engineered to handle – which it may do (for a while). It also forces the midrange to operate at treble frequencies, which it's much too wide to do properly – that narrow ribbon has 'magical' (just simple physics, really) imaging properties (by itself). Besides the separate objections of running the aforementioned drivers outside of their designed ranges, running them next to each other in that context invites all sorts of issues. I'm sorry, but I'd be happy to have him put them in a gorgeous set of frames, but I'd ask that he leave the crossover alone – which, I sincerely doubt he'd do (hey, if he wants to mess with it, then he could just reproduce the design with higher end components).

I hope this is read in the spirit in which it was written – not as an attack or any form of slander. It was written in reply to a direct question and it is my honest opinion (based upon technical objections). To be honest, I have no idea where he places the crossover points - the bass section probably handles the lower end of the midrange section's former duties (to which I also object). In my opinion, the 3-way Maggies should be left as 3-ways.
« Last Edit: 11 Mar 2013, 05:16 pm by kevin360 »

josh358

« Reply #61 on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:01 pm »
Josh,
Come clean - you're actually building a triple engined Norton dragster but are using 850 motors, aren't you? 
I still don't think the DMV is going to give you a tag for it no matter how many lights and mirrors you stick on there.Magnepan repair center)[/center]
Damn, how did you know?

A friend of mine actually rebuilt an Indian.

rw@cn

« Reply #62 on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:39 pm »
Frankly, no – unless PG has changed his strategy of converting the 3-ways to 2-ways. I don't know how to put this gently, but the concept of running the ribbon along side the midrange is, well, objectionable to me. It also seems a bit risky – as designed, it's protected from an excess of 18 watts, which is fine for the treble. Asking it to operate in the midrange will be demanding that it survive being subjected to more than it was engineered to handle – which it may do (for a while). It also forces the midrange to operate at treble frequencies, which it's much too wide to do properly – that narrow ribbon has 'magical' (just simple physics, really) imaging properties (by itself). Besides the separate objections of running the aforementioned drivers outside of their designed ranges, running them next to each other in that context invites all sorts of issues. I'm sorry, but I'd be happy to have him put them in a gorgeous set of frames, but I'd ask that he leave the crossover alone – which, I sincerely doubt he'd do (hey, if he wants to mess with it, then he could just reproduce the design with higher end components).

I hope this is read in the spirit in which it was written – not as an attack or any form of slander. It was written in reply to a direct question and it is my honest opinion (based upon technical objections). To be honest, I have no idea where he places the crossover points - the bass section probably handles the lower end of the midrange section's former duties (to which I also object). In my opinion, the 3-way Maggies should be left as 3-ways.

I am thinking about just getting a wood frame, not the electronics. He does beautiful work and the price is pretty good. I would love to have my 1.7s or especially 3.7s look great.

Not an attack or a troll.  :D

Rclark

« Reply #63 on: 11 Mar 2013, 06:50 pm »
I'm sure he would do the frame. Don't really like putting words in his mouth, but I'm pretty sure he isn't a fan of  .7 anything and only does mods on .6 and below.

Both Peter Gunn and Tonepub have said the .7 series of speakers are not as good as the previous gen and are going for more of a hifi sound these days. It is possible to ruin a good thing. Other people say otherwise. The truth must be somewhere in the middle.

But if you only just do the frame on your 3.7's, you at least get that sonic benefit, and yeah, they'll be gorgeous.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #64 on: 11 Mar 2013, 08:57 pm »
Drop him a line and see if he'll just do wood frames.
The worst he can do is say no.

I've spent a couple of years with 1.6s and 3.6s and jumped on the 1.7 and 3.7s - to my ears they were worth the extra money, especially the 3.7s. 

medium jim

« Reply #65 on: 11 Mar 2013, 09:08 pm »
If you read or google enough things, you will find what you're looking for, this is especially true with audio reviews.  It becomes a matter of personal preferences in some instances.  I love the new .7's, but have a preference for my older .5 Maggie's.

Jim

josh358

« Reply #66 on: 12 Mar 2013, 01:53 am »
I'm sure he would do the frame. Don't really like putting words in his mouth, but I'm pretty sure he isn't a fan of  .7 anything and only does mods on .6 and below.

Both Peter Gunn and Tonepub have said the .7 series of speakers are not as good as the previous gen and are going for more of a hifi sound these days. It is possible to ruin a good thing. Other people say otherwise. The truth must be somewhere in the middle.

But if you only just do the frame on your 3.7's, you at least get that sonic benefit, and yeah, they'll be gorgeous.
Well, speaker preferences will always be a bit idiosyncratic, but I thought the 3.7 was a significant improvement over the 3.6 and I've yet to meet anyone who felt differently, except for one guy on Audiogon who complained that the improvement wasn't enough to justify the money.

Also, I suspect that Wendell would turn green if he heard that comment about going for hi fi sound. In the course of many conversations I've never heard him discuss sound in those terms or anything like. I found this true of the other people I spoke to at Magnepan as well. They speak in the same terms we do and listen for the same things.

kevin360

• án sǫngr ek svelta
« Reply #67 on: 12 Mar 2013, 02:08 am »
Well, put me in the 3.7 fan camp. To my (not yet :wink:) aging ears, they were a significant upgrade to the 3.6s - more dynamic and more cohesive. Regardless, preferences are all about personal taste and there should be room in this world for differences in matters of taste. I just want to go on record as one who likes what the good folks at Magnepan did with what was already an excellent speaker. Heck, there are folks still digging their IIIs - nothing wrong with that! :thumb:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #68 on: 13 Mar 2013, 12:22 am »
Heck, I still like my ancient MMGs.
When I was a teenager I had Large Advents and they always just sounded good; it's the same thing with the MMGs.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #69 on: 20 Mar 2013, 11:39 pm »
I'd like to apologize to Marc for:
taking such poor pictures of his speakers (I didn't realize that I'd flipped a lever down on the camera by accident - stupid newfangled auto focus lenses, an invention of the Devil if ever there was one)
and
for such a poor showing with the 20.7s (I didn't realize that I needed to retube the preamp from one end to the other).
When tubes get beat they do it so gradually that you don't notice just how bad it is until you replace them with good ones.

pansixt

« Reply #70 on: 21 Mar 2013, 01:17 am »
Hell Mr. Ford, Uh I mean Steve,
At least they were actual pictures. Made me go to PG's website to see more pics.

Wish I had been there for the listen. Old tubes or not. And by the way, I love your descriptions of Stupid this or that. I read that post about
I don't remember what where you alliterated about your dog and the " Stupid Inbred Rodent" and I think there was maybe one about a cat.
Or maybe that was someone else. But it reminded me of me and a description I might offer about something I have that was problematical. :thumb:
James

Oh and I'll be ordering new MMG's tomorrow or Friday. jarcher said he would be happy to loan me an SS amp to run them until I can make a move on that.
But before I hook that up I will try my Ultimate 70, for the hell of it.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #71 on: 21 Mar 2013, 09:38 am »
Congratulations!
Let us know how it goes with the MMGs.

medium jim

« Reply #72 on: 25 Mar 2013, 03:15 pm »
Hell Mr. Ford, Uh I mean Steve,
At least they were actual pictures. Made me go to PG's website to see more pics.

Wish I had been there for the listen. Old tubes or not. And by the way, I love your descriptions of Stupid this or that. I read that post about
I don't remember what where you alliterated about your dog and the " Stupid Inbred Rodent" and I think there was maybe one about a cat.
Or maybe that was someone else. But it reminded me of me and a description I might offer about something I have that was problematical. :thumb:
James

Oh and I'll be ordering new MMG's tomorrow or Friday. jarcher said he would be happy to loan me an SS amp to run them until I can make a move on that.
But before I hook that up I will try my Ultimate 70, for the hell of it.

Well, how do you like them? 

Jim

pansixt

« Reply #73 on: 25 Mar 2013, 09:11 pm »
I ordered them this past Friday. I was told that they would be "Making some up" this week, and would be shipped straightaway.
So I am anticipating their arrival sometime late next week, and trying not to be impatient  :hyper:.

I will follow up with what I'm finding in as much as break-in, powering, etc. and of course with questions.
Thanks for asking Jim.

James

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #74 on: 26 Mar 2013, 12:09 am »
Have them shipped to me, I'll break them in and save you the drudgery...

andyr

« Reply #75 on: 30 Sep 2017, 07:05 am »
I can answer the bit about the ribbon integration on the Mini Maggies - it's smooth from top to bottom.
There's nothing that jumps out as being out of place (other than the sound is coming from such a ridiculously little rectangle)!

Steve, are you sure the mini Maggies have a true ribbon?  I would've thought they were too small for this ... so have a quasi-ribbon?

Andy

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #78 on: 2 Oct 2017, 12:04 pm »
Asleep at the wheel here but yes, true ribbon.
http://www.magnepan.com/model_mini_maggie

Impressive sounding little guys.

josh358

« Reply #79 on: 2 Oct 2017, 06:31 pm »
Aren't they. I was blown away -- 3.7 on your desk really isn't an exaggeration.