Well, I pulled the trigger on building a pair of NX-oticas

Endo2112

• Particularist
Re: Well, I pulled the trigger on building a pair of NX-oticas
« Reply #20 on: 10 May 2024, 04:34 am »
Again, I beg to differ with Danny on the path resistors, with my trials, they were consistently better than the duelands time after time.

Don

Huskerbryce

« Reply #21 on: 10 May 2024, 05:11 am »
I really appreciate all the diy people and everyones opinions, not only on this forum but all the forums.  I am not an audio or electrical engineer.  I am a guy who appreciates more for less.  I was once an audio salesman of high end stuff.  Now, I prefer to build my own.  If there was a perfect speaker, or perfect amplifier, or perfect crossover, someone would have invented it, and everyone would have employed it by now.  This hobby is awesome because we have different ears, different likes, different ideas and all that difference makes the hobby fun.  It’s not the money, not the quality, not the equipment that makes it fun.  It’s the ability of people to come together with different ideas.  Not only to move the hobby forward, but to educate the next generation and garner friendships through it all.  We all read things, and have opinions, and through all the disagreements, it would be boring if we all thought the exact same things.  Heres to more audiophile fun!  Lets push the boundary.  I have learned so much from these forums, I hope I can give something back.  Heres to building better speakers.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #22 on: 10 May 2024, 02:00 pm »
I appreciate the kind words.  I used rhodium plated copper posts to try to minimize the loss.  I have really nice cables that utilize banana plugs that wont fit in the electra connectors.

I have some Anticable speaker wire with the "Z-plug" banana connectors.  They were are a very tight fit into a fresh tube connector.  What I found was that after inserting the Anticable banana connector, the female part of the tube connector expanded a bit.  Now when inserting a male tube connector into that same female tube connector, it is no longer snug fitting.  Point being... the female part of the tube connector adapted to the very slightly larger size of the Anticable banana. "Banana" is supposed to be 4mm.  I haven't taken my calipers to them to see which ones are a bit small / large. 

Huskerbryce

« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2024, 03:12 pm »
I tried to fit the banana into the electra tube connectors and pushed hard enough that I was afraid I was going to break something so I abandoned the idea of using the tube connectors.  I decided to try some higher quality rhodium plated copper binding posts.  Hopefully they work without too much signal/electrical loss.  Not sure there is any real way to ever know.

I suppose I could cut the ends off.  Then, hard solder them to the inputs of the crossover.  I think both destroying the look of the nicer cables and ruining the look of the crossover, for what is likely a very negligible difference, would not make much sense.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2024, 03:41 pm »
I think your binding posts are good.  Not as good as the tube connectors of course but still, they are fine. 

If you ever do want to change them for something better then the WBT low mass binding post is the best ‘regular’ post I’ve heard. 

KLEI Naked Harmony is also excellent.  As is ETI Research.

Usually I just buy whichever one is on sale.

But again it’s not urgent.  Your current posts are fine. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 10 May 2024, 03:55 pm »
Again, I beg to differ with Danny on the path resistors, with my trials, they were consistently better than the duelands time after time.

Don

They do sound good but I have a different problem with them.

My main problem with them is the steel ends they use on their resistors, which is false advertising best I can tell, since they advertise them as "non-magnetic."

Huskerbryce

« Reply #26 on: 10 May 2024, 09:27 pm »
Tyson, thank you for the input. I’ll have to check out those binding posts. I’m always open to upgrades. The design I went for allows upgrade options to be wide open for making these things better.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #27 on: 10 May 2024, 10:07 pm »
they advertise them as "non-magnetic."

I noticed that as well.  It seems odd they make a point to mention that when a magnet will stick to the end caps.  A friend has had 2 instances of receiving broken Path resistors and he recommended to ask for them to be tested prior to shipping. 

Even so, he also said they sound great...

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 11 May 2024, 03:27 pm »
I appreciate the kind words.  I used rhodium plated copper posts to try to minimize the loss.  I have really nice cables that utilize banana plugs that wont fit in the electra connectors.  These are the best option for me to fit what I currently employ.  I hope the loss of performance is very very very small.  Ive tried to think of everything I can to minimize loss while maximizing form, functionality and performance!  I have high hopes that improvements will happen over time.  I tried to build them with upgrades and future improvements in mind.  Im excited to hear them.

Standard banana plugs fit right into the tube connectors. Then again, the whole point in using tube connectors is getting things like banana plugs out of the signal path.