Open Baffle speakers+Apple computer+iTunes+Airport with Equalizer=Fabulous!

srb

I don't think you want to be controlling volume using the volume control in iTunes. It works by dropping bits and will reduce sound quality

The volume control in iTunes has been a 24-bit control since iTunes 7.x, and would provide up to 48dB of attenuation before it would start to affect 16-bit sound file playback.

As far as DVD playback, Alwayswantmore has already ackowledged that it is a compromise and he would just like the convenience of remote volume control.

I'm trying to figure out if I could control the volume for DVDs runing throught the Macbook as a way to eliminate a pre from the config. I know it's a compromize., but 2ch is my top priority.

Steve

panomaniac

I don't know how iTunes does volume control, // edit: (oops, missed the post above) // but not all players degrade the sound when reducing volume.

For Example:  I use JRiver jukebox and its internal volume control is done in 32 bits. Then converted to 16 or 24 bit depending on what output format I choose.  That's very fine control. The number of steps in a 32 or 24 bit signal is very high.  It does not sound worse to me than a volume pot.

As for control, JRiver and many of the others have remote functions.  I have a couple that I can use on a PocketPC.  Not as nice as the iPhone version, but they work well.

-Richard-

Yes,  well... once we have our Open Baffle speakers nicely worked out (fine-tuning the baffles, placement, drivers, crossovers, cables)... then the whole issue of "sounds better" as it applies to a "source"... such as a CD player (in whatever format one likes) becomes a terribly subjective experience.

Some music lovers like their music highly detailed, others like a smooth all-over "organic" gestalt to the presentation, others like a holographic sound, or prefer harmonic "weight" and richness, or value transparency above everything else, or they like their music on the warm-side of "neutral" and so on... enough variations to keep the Audio magazines printing issues with endless articles on CD-player-comparisons for a very long time... or at least until the format changes.

Anyone who has not used an equalizer to hear what it can do to "modify" or adjust the sound of any particular musical offering through their OB's (no matter what the source format), would further deepen their audio education playing with the built-in iTunes equalizer.

With the equalizer in-play, you can adjust the music's all over frequency range, so that it sounds quite different in terms of the emphasis of where the music "plays" on your OB's (ever wonder what the BBC "bump" would sound like on your OB's for example?)... you can bring out the voice... or a particular instrument... or set of instruments... or help a weak recording to sound more robust... or more detailed in a particular frequency gamut, or deeper in the bass, for example. All of this translates beautifully within the intensely dynamic and responsive performance capabilities of Open Baffle speakers!!

And that means that you can also make the music sound somewhat like it might sound through many different brands of high-end CD players... each of which, for the most part, emphasis a particular set of sound parameters that appeals to a particular listener.

Many years ago I learned that there are no stand-alone "best" components... it is rather the synergy among one's audio gear that makes music come alive in our home audio experience. Changing cables, for example, has, again for the most part, become just another way of getting around not having bass and treble controls on our preamplifiers or amplifier-receivers. A most unfortunate result of audio engineers getting lazy and fewer and fewer buyers making demands on them.

I did not mention in my original post, that with iTunes, you get hundreds of "internet" radio stations that cover a very wide-range of different musical genres. Some stations have a fairly high resolution musical signal. With the ability of using the built-in equalizer, I can fine-tune the music being played on the internet radio, that is being sent directly to my OB's... so that the music sounds very convincing!!! It may be a bit shy of CD quality... but I do not always listen "critically"... and so Deborah and I find ourselves listening to internet radio through our OB's much more now than from our stored (on the internal Apple Hard-Drive and using iTunes) CD collection. And sometimes the music on internet radio is truly sublime!

Several months ago I was going to buy an FM radio and began to research my options... around the same time, I began to listen to internet radio... and then it became so obvious that my options for listening to all kinds of music through internet radio was vastly richer than what I could "receive" through a traditional FM player. It was like having a gold-mine in one's backyard and thinking it would be nice to buy some gold coins!

Also, using the volume control on the built-in equalizer in iTunes is terribly handy... I leave the volume control alone on my amplifier once I set it to a convenient level (a redesigned 1950's EL 84 Heathkit 151A... thanks Dr. Rayle, for your helping me to choose this Open Baffle friendly, audio masterpiece) and the bass and treble controls as well... then I use the iTune volume control and fine tune the frequency gamuts from the equalizer... it is simple and incredibly effective. I like simple!!!!

With Warmest Regards ~ Richard

ga foo 88

Is there a way to buy apple lossless music files on i tunes?  I just got an i pad and recently bought an album on i tunes, so I was curious how you convert files to lossless or if you can purchase them....

srb

Is there a way to buy apple lossless music files on i tunes?  I just got an i pad and recently bought an album on i tunes, so I was curious how you convert files to lossless or if you can purchase them....

iTunes only sells 128kbps or 256kbps compressed protected AAC files.  Protected files cannot be converted to other file formats, including Apple Losseless, and since they are highly compressed anyway, it would accomplish nothing.

To maintain full fidelity your choices are:

1.  Buy physical CDs and rip them to Apple Lossless

2.  Buy and download uncompressed files from sites other than iTunes and convert them to Apple Lossless.  If you download FLAC files (a lossless compression similar to Apple Lossless), you will need to convert them with a third party conversion program, as iTunes does not recognize the FLAC file format.

Steve

scorpion

Richard, thanks for pointing to this solution.
I now use it with my PC and Internet sources together with the Airfoil programme. It works great if you secure good bandwith in home and also for Internet sources.
I have acces to my system via the Behringer SRC2496 unit which accepts analog sources like Tuner FM and the regular Dual Grammophone unit via my preamp, SPDIF coaxial input from my CD-player and now this Optical Interface for PC and Internet sources. Quality is very good.  :)

/Erling

-Richard-

Richard, thanks for pointing to this solution.
I now use it with my PC and Internet sources together with the Airfoil programme. It works great if you secure good bandwith in home and also for Internet sources.
I have acces to my system via the Behringer SRC2496 unit which accepts analog sources like Tuner FM and the regular Dual Grammophone unit via my preamp, SPDIF coaxial input from my CD-player and now this Optical Interface for PC and Internet sources. Quality is very good. 

/Erling

Hi Erling, it sounds like your approach is very sophisticated. I am not familiar with the Airfoil program. Does that plot wing lift, drag etc? How is the program used for audio?

I assume the Behringer SRC2496 does A/D to D/A conversion (according to the information sheet it also enables you to transfer digital audio signals between devices with different sample rates, formats or interfaces and remove dropouts or jitter from digital media... sounds like it is used in a recording process).

I have read that the Behringer (not sure which one) may add its own (digital) signature to musical signals... but I have not had direct experience with it myself. If you are using it, it must be a very high quality device.

Thanks for sharing your information and experiences, Erling.

With Warmest Regards ~ Richard