No baffle speaker (edit: some baffle speaker)

Polarbear

Re: No baffel speaker
« Reply #20 on: 4 May 2010, 10:34 am »
Hi, this idea really appeals to me, it doesn't look like the wood is supporting the driver baskets, if so, what was the idea of the wood following the shape of the baskets? Is the clamp on the magnet the only support for the drivers? You were talking about using a baffle for the augie, I think that defeats the object really, as  surely point of this is its looks and its a case of working around the problem of having no baffle. A plexi glas baffle not connected to the driver would be better like you suggested. I am working on something like this myself, holding the drivers by the magnet but with a different support, haven't figured it out just yet but will post when I have.  paul

Hi Paul. Late answer but better than never :)
The thought of the  wood following the shape of the basket, is to ensure that the only connection to tha baffle is via the magnetmount (which is all there is). I agree with you regarding baffle, but it's all about controlling and isolating the transfered vibration energy. A heavy spine gives me a good start, and from there, I may try different solutions when it comes to baffle. Maybe I still need a heavy, thick baffle.
Looking forward to you pictures. :)

Bj

Polarbear

« Reply #21 on: 4 May 2010, 10:44 am »
stilig Bjørn!  :thumb:
your good with baffles!

im thinking about purchasing one of the bastanis kits along with augie`s for the summer, when i get back from Bergen.

i remember you used the digital behringer earlier, so i take it that the current cx2310 is good enough?
the cx3400 is availible online for a mere 1000kr. i could possibly go with that one?

still very happy with the bastanis wideband? :)

the guy i borrowed the tube dac with, (cant remember his name right now) what kind of sollution is he running now, did he get the sterling edition of hawthorne or something like that?

thx

Hi Einar

Still happy with the bastanis yes :)
I sold the behringer DCX3400 as a package with a six channel remote. Otherwise I would have used that one. To use the CX2310 is just a quick easy solution to cross the bass, but you miss all the eq. possibilities and such. But the Augie is quite ok cause the high Qts, and don't all that Eq anyway. You may use the DCX3400 but I would not use it unmodified :)
The guy you borrowed the dac from, has not yet bought any upgrades to the SI and Augie driver. The speaker is a bit on hold, but will come stronger later i think :)
Stop by sometime when you are home, and have a listen :)

Bj

Polarbear

« Reply #22 on: 4 May 2010, 10:51 am »
Hi Polarbear ~

Let me also add my compliments... your work is beautifully realized... I can only imagine that the sound has a remarkable "presence".

While I was looking at some of your posted images Deborah walked into my studio... she was immediately captivated by some of the images and thought at first that your work was a sculpture (Deborah is a very sophisticated artist)... she is as impressed as I am.

Please let us know how things unfold for you as you learn more about the sound.

Warmest Regards ~ Richard

Thanks for your kind words Richard, and your dear Deborah :) The beauty about diy is to decide all from parts included to the shape and design. Glad you liked it  :thumb:
I'm will not go into describing the sound too much (I'm too biased :)), but I think it's free from the speakers. Very open and transparent, yet musically. Both on low and high levels, with all kind of music. That's the best way I can describe it :)

Cheers
Bjørn

scorpion

Re: No baffle speaker (edit: some baffle speaker)
« Reply #23 on: 4 May 2010, 02:16 pm »
Hi Björn,

Simply marvellous. There is a risk that we will get an endless baffle - no baffle, constant directivity, power response discussion a bit leading away from the basic OB 'rights'. And as so very much of forum debate it is subjective, more so than is argumentally recognized. Not many of us will have the resourses to match Stig-Erik Tangen's vigorous display.  I have no doubt that your setup tops what you tried earlier including the MJAO, in hindsight midunit was too small or crossover too flat to allow ultimate performance. We are all amateurs but you certainly has been an OB devotee as long as I. I still remember the intriguing IKEA OB bass-sub of yours. However, even if OB sounds good with almost any unit, it will sound better with the better units. And I suppose that the speakers will come out a bit in the room for critical listening. Cheers !

/Erling

painkiller

« Reply #24 on: 4 May 2010, 03:43 pm »
I really think these some baffle speakers look beautiful. Actually better than the no baffle speakers.   :thumb:

Polarbear

« Reply #25 on: 4 May 2010, 08:20 pm »
Hi Björn,

Simply marvellous. There is a risk that we will get an endless baffle - no baffle, constant directivity, power response discussion a bit leading away from the basic OB 'rights'. And as so very much of forum debate it is subjective, more so than is argumentally recognized. Not many of us will have the resourses to match Stig-Erik Tangen's vigorous display.  I have no doubt that your setup tops what you tried earlier including the MJAO, in hindsight midunit was too small or crossover too flat to allow ultimate performance. We are all amateurs but you certainly has been an OB devotee as long as I. I still remember the intriguing IKEA OB bass-sub of yours. However, even if OB sounds good with almost any unit, it will sound better with the better units. And I suppose that the speakers will come out a bit in the room for critical listening. Cheers !

/Erling

Hei Erling

Thanks for your kind words. You are right, there is no answer for what gives the best sound. For me not having the measurement resources as some others, I'll just have to try and listen :)
The Mjao was not bad, but I saw more potential in the Bastani driver, and don't have space or time for more procjets :) Have you seen what happened with the Mjao kit I recently sold? : http://www.hifisentralen.no/forum/index.php?topic=47033.0
I guess it's going to turn out to be a fine speaker :)

Cheers
Bjørn

Polarbear

« Reply #26 on: 4 May 2010, 08:22 pm »
I really think these some baffle speakers look beautiful. Actually better than the no baffle speakers.   :thumb:

Thanks. It certainly doesn't draw as much attention :) It integrates quite nice in my living room.

Bj

Hebrew Hammer

• Industry Participant
  • www.Randall-K.com
« Reply #27 on: 28 May 2010, 01:36 pm »
very cool no baffle setup... after experiencing it myself.. I preach the Gospel of going dipole