Super V / V2

bayman

Super V / V2
« on: 29 Aug 2010, 12:14 pm »
Any reason not to make the V2 with servo subs, and remove the back chamber on the tweeter?
I was wondering, it should have a better midrange being 8"! And I do believe that both bas and tweeter measures better on the 8". Specially around the crossover point!   
Or am I totally of here?  :scratch:

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.gr-research.com
Re: Super V / V2
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2010, 01:47 pm »
Any reason not to make the V2 with servo subs, and remove the back chamber on the tweeter?
I was wondering, it should have a better midrange being 8"! And I do believe that both bas and tweeter measures better on the 8". Specially around the crossover point!   
Or am I totally of here?  :scratch:

Yeah, you'd think it would have the best mid-range.

But the 8 incher (BM12CXA) and the 12 incher (BM12CXA) are pretty close in that regard.

You could add the servo subs to the 8 and open up the tweeter cup making it all open baffle as well and it should give you the same sound quality top to bottom, but the sensitivity will be lower. It will be 93db verses 97db. The price will also be nearly the same.

The servo subs have WAY to large of a motor structure to let them be mounted at a 45 degree angle. So one drawback is that it would add excessive size to the front baffle and that will add some surface reflections that it doesn't have now. Currently the front baffle is only as big as the driver.

Then friends and colleges that are in the industry kept telling me that I had to hear this driver, the BM12CX38. So I finally gave one a try to see what all the talk was about. I initially dismissed it for use in the open baffle application because the response did not look as good, by the manufacturers measurements, and the Qts was low.

What I wasn't counting on was that the impedance rise at Fs was so high that you couldn't overdrive it in that range. Plus the response wasn't that bad and easily corrected with a network. That was not expected.

I also wasn't expecting how good it sounded. That driver is more expensive for good reason. They did a lot to that thing. All of the motor structure is Copper or Copper coated. They spared no expense on it and it shows.

That woofer has the best sounding mid-range of the bunch.

Since the 8 incher was less expensive (by quite a bit) I decided to use it in a much lower cost solution and see how far it could go while still trying to keep the price really low.

How's that?
« Last Edit: 29 Aug 2010, 08:14 pm by Danny »

bayman

« Reply #2 on: 30 Aug 2010, 06:16 pm »
Thats OK!  :thumb: Then I think I´ll try out the BM12CXA. I can`t find the CX38 her in Denmark,
and also the store where I´m getting it has a fine
return policy! I´ll post my thought latter on.

Thanks 

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #3 on: 30 Aug 2010, 07:08 pm »
I have had several people in Europe order V-2 kits minus the drivers.

bayman

« Reply #4 on: 30 Aug 2010, 08:13 pm »
You mean just the crossover plans?

bayman

« Reply #5 on: 30 Aug 2010, 08:15 pm »
And the amps off naturally! :lol:   

Danny Richie

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #6 on: 30 Aug 2010, 08:30 pm »
I mean they ordered EVERYTHING minus the drivers.

They got all the crossover parts, amps, wire, tube connectors, solder, floor spikes, etc.

Just no drivers.

bayman

« Reply #7 on: 31 Aug 2010, 09:07 pm »
 :D got my units to day, very nice I must say! And the sound way over my expectation. :thumb:
How could I have lived without these for so long. More later on!

jonnoshore

« Reply #8 on: 23 Feb 2012, 08:01 pm »
Any hints at where to get the drivers in Europe? :)

Q. Has anyone compared magneplan speakers the MMG and the V2?

John