• The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #680 on: 27 Jan 2024, 11:58 pm »
Hi Vic - email Adam - atanner@bryston.com

alanford69

« Reply #681 on: 30 Jan 2024, 08:06 pm »
Hello, I would like to ask a few questions about some MM features I cannot understand,
hope anybody could help (thanks in advance!):

1) what is this audio device for?

2) why none of the usb disk command is working? what could be wrong?

bokko

« Reply #682 on: 30 Jan 2024, 11:01 pm »
The area you are in is to connect to a network drive.

From Dashboard click services, make sure USB mount and MPD are checked and started. 
In order to check MPD, Roon Ready must be off. I am no expert though I use Roon to listen to music.
Samba is only used for connecting to a network drive.

alanford69

« Reply #683 on: 30 Jan 2024, 11:54 pm »
The area you are in is to connect to a network drive.

From Dashboard click services, make sure USB mount and MPD are checked and started. 
In order to check MPD, Roon Ready must be off. I am no expert though I use Roon to listen to music.
Samba is only used for connecting to a network drive.

Thanks, but that part is ok as I enabled the services I need. I do not use roon and I do not use network drives, only a 512gb ssd connected via usb and qobuz.

From time to time I connect my MacBook with Audirvana using the usb-b input and it works even if the “BR-20 audio 2.0” device is disabled. So I was wondering what that deivice was intended for

bokko

« Reply #684 on: 31 Jan 2024, 12:22 am »
Yah sorry that looks like drive mounting and formatting screen my mistake.
Need a bigger phone screen.   :duh:

Contact atanner@bryston.com he handles tech support.
USB 2.0 is also off on mine, but I do have USB Mount enabled want to try the replacement for Manic Moose once its released.

Wye Valley

« Reply #685 on: 1 Feb 2024, 02:48 pm »
Have successfully changed the names of inputs and suffer no input lag on volume.
Make sure you only connect a network cable to the streamer ethernet input. DO NOT connect to SVC Ethernet input it is only to be connected during updates when instructed for that process. 
I found it took about 100-125 hours for low bass to return let me know if you notice this.

Enjoy the music

Jerry
Hi Jerry,
Sorry for slow response, not been on the forum for a while, life getting in the way!

Thanks for tips, curiously I have not had the volume issue since I post the problem on the forum.

Will make the changes now, and see if i get the low bass issue.

Cheers

Graham

alanford69

« Reply #686 on: 1 Feb 2024, 09:13 pm »
Contact atanner@bryston.com he handles tech support.
USB 2.0 is also off on mine, but I do have USB Mount enabled want to try the replacement for Manic Moose once its released.

Thanks, I just did! Given that nobody replied I am assuming I am the only one with such defects.

By the way I found another unexpected behavior in MM:

alanford69

« Reply #687 on: 2 Feb 2024, 05:10 pm »

Update: I am in touch with Adam and he told me that this error is because they are working on the new OS3 so it can be ignored.

I am assuming also the other disk utilities errors can be generated by the fact that MM is way ahead in its sunset.

bcugk

« Reply #688 on: 12 Feb 2024, 08:57 pm »
hello all,
new to the BR20 I'm connected to my network and all is good except the BR20 sees my 1TB Toshiba drive attached but not the music or at least i can't see the contents on the right hand section of media player, i have a directory called music, then artist, then album,
for example
F:\Music\Beatles\Beatles 1967-1970 CD1

this drive worked on my old BDP-1 but not on the new machine. is there a certain file structure i need to use instead
many thanks in advance

Also Rigelian says no drive connected?
I guess I have to mount the drive and the usb mount is checked off on services, but I have no idea how lol
Derek

jcn3

« Reply #689 on: 13 Feb 2024, 03:45 pm »
hello all,
new to the BR20 I'm connected to my network and all is good except the BR20 sees my 1TB Toshiba drive attached but not the music or at least i can't see the contents on the right hand section of media player, i have a directory called music, then artist, then album,
for example
F:\Music\Beatles\Beatles 1967-1970 CD1

this drive worked on my old BDP-1 but not on the new machine. is there a certain file structure i need to use instead
many thanks in advance

Also Rigelian says no drive connected?

I guess I have to mount the drive and the usb mount is checked off on services, but I have no idea how lol
Derek

what kind of drive is it?  remember that the usb port can generate only 500 ma of current which often isn't enough to power usb-connected drives.  bryston recommends only usb thumb drives be connected, otherwise use a nas.

bcugk

« Reply #690 on: 13 Feb 2024, 03:56 pm »
It is a Toshiba 1TB USB drive and it is the exact drive with the exact files (about 30 albums worth of music) that worked on an old BDP-1 i had.

Logic suggests that it should work on the brand new streamer right?

I have input/advice from Mr Rice at Bryston that i will try later on and report back.

Basically i plug the drive in and it flashes for only a few seconds and isn't updating/indexing the contents

Thanks,
Derek

what kind of drive is it?  remember that the usb port can generate only 500 ma of current which often isn't enough to power usb-connected drives.  bryston recommends only usb thumb drives be connected, otherwise use a nas.

jcn3

« Reply #691 on: 13 Feb 2024, 04:03 pm »
It is a Toshiba 1TB USB drive and it is the exact drive with the exact files (about 30 albums worth of music) that worked on an old BDP-1 i had.

Logic suggests that it should work on the brand new streamer right?

I have input/advice from Mr Rice at Bryston that i will try later on and report back.

Basically i plug the drive in and it flashes for only a few seconds and isn't updating/indexing the contents

Thanks,
Derek

not necessarily . . . . the symptom you described certainly seems to lean towards not getting enough power from the usb port.

bcugk

« Reply #692 on: 13 Feb 2024, 04:30 pm »
if it doesn't work i'll pop the files on a mini stick drive and try that.
Thanks,

not necessarily . . . . the symptom you described certainly seems to lean towards not getting enough power from the usb port.

bcugk

« Reply #693 on: 13 Feb 2024, 09:44 pm »
Made a call to Bryston, the 2TB drive had locked it up big time
After a few resets it found a 16GB thumb drive and all is well
The largest they recommend is 1TB but were amazed my old BDP1 handled the 2TB
Fantastic service from Bryston
Thanks

if it doesn't work i'll pop the files on a mini stick drive and try that.
Thanks,

bokko

« Reply #694 on: 23 Feb 2024, 02:55 am »
Bryston replaced my BR-20 and new one has been great haven’t had a single crash or power pull since Christmas.
Thanks for making Christmas Merry.

Just purchased a used 4b SST C series. WOW sound quality just went up another level.
Now use the 5b st thx for center and surrounds. The surrounds haven’t sounded that good yet ADP-470’s.
My Studio 100’s have also not sounded this good yet.

Now on USB drives i had success with 1tb WDC Blue m.2 ssd card in an Startech enclosure SM2NGFFMBU33. It is critical you not buy M.2 NVMe. Must be M.2 SSD.
2.5" unclosure Vantec Nexstar 3.1 with a Samsung 850evo 1tb drive. both are 3-4 years old though. The above are available presently.
For larger drives think you are better to purchase a usb enclosure that has a power supply. Cover led with black tape.
Make sure its USB 3 with a type A connector. It needs to support the size drive you plan on putting in.
Ones for 3.5” drives are easier to buy but have seen some for 2.5” drives as well.
Don’t buy special high performance drives they run hot draw more power. I prefer metal or aluminum cases helps with keeping drive cool. With mechanical drives (spinning vs solid state) you have to be careful near bass. (Don’t put on sub) remember its there, if it falls down while spinning…not good.

Maybe we could start a side topic on drive enclosures.

« Last Edit: 24 Feb 2024, 01:38 am by bokko »

Sam S

« Reply #695 on: 24 Feb 2024, 03:25 am »
Bryston replaced my BR-20 and new one has been great haven’t had a single crash or power pull since Christmas.
Thanks for making Christmas Merry.

Just purchased a used 4b SST C series. WOW sound quality just went up another level.
Now use the 5b st thx for center and surrounds. The surrounds haven’t sounded that good yet ADP-470’s.
My Studio 100’s have also not sounded this good yet.

Now on USB drives i had success with 1tb WDC Blue m.2 ssd card in an Startech enclosure SM2NGFFMBU33. It is critical you not buy M.2 NVMe. Must be M.2 SSD.
2.5" unclosure Vantec Nexstar 3.1 with a Samsung 850evo 1tb drive. both are 3-4 years old though. The above are available presently.
For larger drives think you are better to purchase a usb enclosure that has a power supply. Cover led with black tape.
Make sure its USB 3 with a type A connector. It needs to support the size drive you plan on putting in.
Ones for 3.5” drives are easier to buy but have seen some for 2.5” drives as well.
Don’t buy special high performance drives they run hot draw more power. I prefer metal or aluminum cases helps with keeping drive cool. With mechanical drives (spinning vs solid state) you have to be careful near bass. (Don’t put on sub) remember its there, if it falls down while spinning…not good.

Maybe we could start a side topic on drive enclosures.

Wow! That's great! ...

Nitsuave

« Reply #696 on: 29 Feb 2024, 12:09 am »
Picked up a BR20 yesterday.  It’s a great match with my 4B3 and Paradigm Personas.

bokko

« Reply #697 on: 1 Mar 2024, 12:36 am »
Nice, newer versions of my speakers and amp.
hope you get 20+ years out of your speakers.
Know the amp will