Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

Dan H

Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #660 on: 19 Nov 2023, 07:06 pm »
I have my new-to-me BR 20 configured the same way; hardwired ethernet, and the full boat Tidal subscription. MM set to lossless.

I routinely see a bit rate of just under 1K and don't think that's an issue. But, like you, what I don't see is a sampling rate over 44.1K, even if Tidal is showing a particular track at 192K. I've also tried BRadio and some of the 192K selections there and the 20 is still locked on at 44.1.

Oddly, when I first received the 20 (I'm the 2nd owner), the first thing I did was set it up on my desk and connected it to my router (but not to my system) to play around with it and get it set up. I'm almost certain I saw it lock onto BRadio 192K selections. Then downloaded and installed the latest BR20 software and MM versions, moved it into my system, and haven't seen it lock onto 192K since.

So, still scratching my head. But still, even at 44.1, oh boy does it sound good.

gwhphoto

« Reply #661 on: 19 Nov 2023, 09:08 pm »
I updated the firmware when I received mine as well.  It is running the latest.

I subscribed to qobuz and I'm getting the higher sampling rates (up to 96).   Sounds much better than the Tidal. 

So, we need to solve the mystery of getting the best out of Tidal.

Also, since Apple Classical is not a built-in option in MM, it seems I may have to directly hardwire the iPad to the BR 20 to use that since I cannot figure out how to stream wirelessly  from the iPad to the BR 20.

And although the Tidal sounded good, it does not really sound any better than my CDs.  I am also going to get a touslink or S/PDIF cable to send the digital output of my CD directly to the BR 20's DAC.  That should equalize everything.  Also be interesting if there is an improvement in the sound (right now I am running a Meridian 508 from the early 1990s to the analog inputs of the BR 20).

If anyone can offer advice on these things, please feel free to do so!!

Thanks

I am going to get a CD and find the exact same recording on the streaming services, and that will let me know for sure.

bcugk

« Reply #662 on: 20 Nov 2023, 10:00 pm »
Bokko, I ordered a Sony ubp x800m2 on Black Friday sale

Now I await my new BR20
James  Tanner if you see this post, can you advise on my order status please
Thanks
Derek Barton

Derek noticed you mentioned you were ordering BR20 with phono.

So tested the Sony with DVD-Audio on SPDIF, I had to go in audio setup menu on Sony force digital audio to PCM (from auto) (which affects HDMI/SACD wouldn't matter to you)

Then limited to 48khz on Digital out with 96khz/192khz it made ticking sounds if disc defaults to 5.1 audio. BR20 supports PCM only not Bitstream which was cause of ticking sounds.

The above settings allowed three disks to play fine but they didn't sound right until I forced stereo audio. (of course)

The BR20 only supports PCM so audio was bitstream being send.

Jerry

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #663 on: 20 Nov 2023, 11:08 pm »
Hi Derek - I know they were waiting for some proprietary parts so should be soon.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #664 on: 20 Nov 2023, 11:12 pm »

bcugk

« Reply #665 on: 20 Nov 2023, 11:16 pm »
Thank you James
Can’t wait 😊

Hi Derek - I know they were waiting for some proprietary parts so should be soon.

james

Wye Valley

« Reply #666 on: 29 Nov 2023, 05:24 pm »
Hey Bokko, How do you setup HT Bypass?

Graham

bokko

« Reply #667 on: 1 Dec 2023, 12:15 am »
Hey Graham

Make sure firmware is updated contact support@bryston.com if you need help with that.

You must use Pre Out from a Home Theater Receiver (HTR) or Preamp for front Left and Right into one of the Analog inputs either XLR or RCA (don't convert XLR to RCA stick with what HTR outputs). (I am assuming you are already using line outs of BR-20 to stereo power amp and your front left and right speaker wires are already connected to that power amp).
Once connected make sure volume on HTR is turned down low. Then select that analog input you connected HTR to. I use RCA 2 which Bryston would refer to as Single 2 in Dashboard.
You push down code button on remote hold down until light blinks white quickly (5 seconds) then quickly enter D2, D2, D10 on BR-20 remote, the input light you selected should turn red (was green) or pink (was blue). The volume control light will also be at 2 o'clock position. (if it failed you might find one of buttons on remote is stuck down unstick and retry).
You only need to do this one time, once you have converted the selected analog input it will always be HTR Bypass until you reset unit. If you connect a fixed output device like a CD-Player to that input you will likely blow speakers, if you don't give someone in house a heart attack SO BE CAREFUL.
You can undo HTR Bypass by selecting the analog input you converted and repeating the Code 220 until input light reverts and volume control lowers from 2 o'clock position.

FYI sometimes need to redo after a firmware update. Bryston firmware update instructions will be clear on that make sure to follow to letter for the version of firmware you are updating (instructions are in same directory as firmware).

Then select an active input on HTR, increase volume slowly and you will have sound.

I highly recommend you output some test tones from the HTR (or use a setup disk) and use a Sound Pressure Meter to adjust volume on different channels so everything is balanced and level. I do not find these setup Mics connected to HTR do a good job of this, its a place to start but not very accurate. I never use the EQ settings of setup mic just the level adjustments. I have had a Radio Shack unit for decades. (buy an expensive Lithium battery if you get one they never leak like regular batteries).

I am using a Marantz 7012 which like many high end units has Pre Out and 7.1 input so confirm connections are Pre-Out Left and Right to selected analog input.

James if you rather people contact you for this info let me now I'll edit post.

I have a 9.1 setup so two pairs of Dolby Atmos speakers in addition to regular 5.1. Some movies and the Br-20 in stereo, really freak the poor dog out, he can't figure out where the sound is coming from. If a dog barking he looses it stops searching and goes upstairs. (Pink Floyd - Animals)

Playing Diablo 4 on TV too, lots of dogs barking in rear surrounds.

Jerry

FYI my first HTR a Denon I bought used, he said the bass was terrible, I updated firmware and proceeded to use my SPL meter to setup channels, bass was -20db it wound up at -3db so much for setup mics. My sub volume or level was about 11 oclock so just under half. Even if his sub was at full level he should have been at -10 to -8.
« Last Edit: 6 Dec 2023, 10:41 pm by bokko »

Melting735

« Reply #668 on: 12 Dec 2023, 04:13 am »
Can now BR-20 outputs be configured variable and fixed volume?

Melting735

« Reply #669 on: 16 Dec 2023, 05:34 pm »
Hi Folks. I received my BR-20 this week. While enjoying its sound, I also have some issues.

I use my BR-20 trigger out to BHA-1 trigger in. The BHA-1 will only be turned on when BR-20 is on some certain inputs, e.g. for Trigger out 1, SPDIF 1, ethernet and a couple of HDMIs can work but SPDIF 2 and others cant. The trigger 1 work on some inputs and trigger 2 work on the others. Is there anyway I can setup triggers according to which inputs I prefer?

Another is the volume control lag. When I use the remote or volume knob, the volume will respond for a couple of dbs and then start lagging. The volume can get stuck for over 20 secs to start responding again. The volume control on "My Bryston" page works okay tho. Do anyone else experience this?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #670 on: 16 Dec 2023, 07:00 pm »
Hi Folks. I received my BR-20 this week. While enjoying its sound, I also have some issues.

I use my BR-20 trigger out to BHA-1 trigger in. The BHA-1 will only be turned on when BR-20 is on some certain inputs, e.g. for Trigger out 1, SPDIF 1, ethernet and a couple of HDMIs can work but SPDIF 2 and others cant. The trigger 1 work on some inputs and trigger 2 work on the others. Is there anyway I can setup triggers according to which inputs I prefer?

Another is the volume control lag. When I use the remote or volume knob, the volume will respond for a couple of dbs and then start lagging. The volume can get stuck for over 20 secs to start responding again. The volume control on "My Bryston" page works okay tho. Do anyone else experience this?

Hi Melting - please email Adam on this - atanner@bryston.com

Wye Valley

« Reply #671 on: 2 Jan 2024, 06:36 pm »

Hi I have the same issue and emailed Adam, but got no response. Have you made any progress with this?

Graham

Melting735

« Reply #672 on: 2 Jan 2024, 06:55 pm »

Happy new year!

I did a factory reset in the main menu on my BR-20 unit (not through mybryston webpage). This resets all trigger settings and the volume control lag also disappeared

I figured that the volume control lag was due to input name change through the mybryston webpage. A factory reset clears all these changes. If I change the names again, the lag will happen again. I reported this to Adam, and he confirmed that this was an known issue and would be fixed in a coming firmware update.

I hope these work for you!

bokko

« Reply #673 on: 5 Jan 2024, 01:56 pm »
Have successfully changed the names of inputs and suffer no input lag on volume.
Make sure you only connect a network cable to the streamer ethernet input. DO NOT connect to SVC Ethernet input it is only to be connected during updates when instructed for that process. 
I found it took about 100-125 hours for low bass to return let me know if you notice this.

Enjoy the music

Jerry

Melting735

« Reply #674 on: 5 Jan 2024, 05:28 pm »
Have successfully changed the names of inputs and suffer no input lag on volume.
Make sure you only connect a network cable to the streamer ethernet input. DO NOT connect to SVC Ethernet input it is only to be connected during updates when instructed for that process. 
I found it took about 100-125 hours for low bass to return let me know if you notice this.

Enjoy the music

Jerry
Ah, this make sense. I always left 2 cables plugged in for convenience. I will give it a try.

I didn't notice any thing wrong with the low bass.

Clive197

« Reply #675 on: 11 Jan 2024, 01:05 pm »
Question to Bryston, what’s happening to the new operating system that’s supposed to replace MM? I’ve been watching this space for ever (well months actually).

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #676 on: 11 Jan 2024, 01:09 pm »
Hi Clive - it is still being worked on but not finished yet.

james

alanford69

« Reply #677 on: 13 Jan 2024, 10:06 am »
Thanks for the update James, I am sure it’s not an easy task at all to redesign an OS from scratch! Any new target date to release it?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #678 on: 13 Jan 2024, 11:56 am »
Thanks for the update James, I am sure it’s not an easy task at all to redesign an OS from scratch! Any new target date to release it?

Not yet but I know the beta is still being tested.

Victor BR20

« Reply #679 on: 27 Jan 2024, 11:56 pm »
Hello Everyone, new BR20 user and member to this post. Where can one find the best documentation on how to use MM?

Vic