Did Anyone Else Feel This Way, or... Only Me!?

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
Re: Did Anyone Else Feel This Way, or... Only Me!?
« Reply #20 on: 19 Oct 2012, 07:18 pm »
We will have organize and "reserve" a big table on the front left of the Lift Bar on Friday Next year.  We will also ask everyone to put AC and AC moniker on the RMAF badge.  I have had "woodsy" and Audio Circle on my badge for a few years now.   I was at the Lift Bar on Friday with several ACers but it was in the corner.  I wasn't there early enough to get a prime table.  I figured Lone Wolf would be there but he didn't make it this year. 

As for listening in the room, I probably made about 1/3 rd of the rooms in 2 1/2 days.  I only listened to rooms I was interested in.   I do agree that some rooms are little crowded but I got to talk to vendors in most rooms that had stuff I wanted.  If you have a focused question they will answer you.  In fact, sometimes you can't turn them off. :| 

Hope to see you next year.  It gets better every year as you build relationships!

standub

« Reply #21 on: 19 Oct 2012, 07:20 pm »
I made some of the same mistakes my first time at RMAF, mainly "hey I only need one day"..... :duh:  Also it is funny to hear the mega $$$$ systems for the first time and find out most of the print reviews are full of $&!#.  I remember going into the YG room as one of my first rooms and thinking "Are these 6 figure system suppose to sound like Freddy Kruger doing calculus on a chalkboard?"  Also it felt like to me there was enough non stratosphere priced gear there to enjoy, now how it compares to the full blown stuff, well that's up to you.

However as others have mentioned, there seems to be less vendors offering to play visitors music than in years past.

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #22 on: 19 Oct 2012, 07:45 pm »
I figured Lone Wolf would be there but he didn't make it this year.

I couldn't make it this year Rim...my wife had surgery.

Usually....if members spot me  (they all know what I look like :lol:).....I can point them to other AC members at RMAF.

Another helpful hint....wear this... :wink:

http://www.printfection.com/audiocircleshirt

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #23 on: 19 Oct 2012, 08:02 pm »
Thanks for the link, I've been wanting to order one of those for a while now!

Scott F.

« Reply #24 on: 19 Oct 2012, 10:57 pm »
Hiya Din,

Big shows a daunting task for sure. Like others have said, have a plan. I always spend an evening or two well ahead of the show and plan the rooms I want to visit. I always leave a bit of extra time so I can wander into rooms people mention sound particularly good that may not have been on my list. I also watch the boards to see who's going and usually drop the guys I know best a PM so we can catch up somewhere at the show. Also, at breakfast you usually see (and catch up with) lots of AC folk. And like others mentioned, start on the top floor and walk down to the lower floors using the stairs.

On the local front (Gateway Audio), we usually have a nice contingent show up. We usually grab a table in the lobby restaurant to have burgers and beers. More often than not a couple of the manufacturers, the occasional other writers and a few of the Colorado guys stop by and join in or at least say Hi. It's always a fun evening.

If you want to give it a try again, AXPONA is up in Chicago next spring. We're headed up. I'm pretty sure several of the 'locals' are headed up too. It should be a fun weekend in fact we're going to hang out for an extra day to two so we can 'play' in Chi-town.

...gimme a call if you want :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #25 on: 20 Oct 2012, 12:23 am »
My expectations for shows are rather low.  90% of the rooms get an immediate veto based the crappy sound (I allow no excuses, these are supposed to be audiophiles who do this sort of thing for a living and their purpose is to impress me enough to buy their stuff).

I only go to try to listen to speakers (again the 90% veto).  I don't understand how anyone can "hear" source/amplification outside their own system.  Speaking with vendors can be a hoot.  Most of what you can see or learn about features or design intent can be done from the net. 

And I agree regarding prices, most of the focus is on insanely expensive stuff that is way overmatched for whatever room you'll be listening in (if it can even be made to sound good).  And doesn't it strike you odd that the speakers you might be listening through at home are way, way "better" than the monitors used duriing recording/mixing?

retiredmxer

« Reply #26 on: 20 Oct 2012, 01:22 am »
I love the RMAF show. I've been every year except one :) I know going in that I'm probably not going to buy anything at the show, so I don't feel pressure to make any kind of decision. This year I planned on all three days so I could visit every single room..and I pulled it off  :green:

Most of the time I can walk into a room and decide within a minute or so if I wanna stay or come back. These rooms I just mark down, then move on to the next room. Regardless of whether I not I like the sound, I make sure to say 'thank you' to the vendor. I know it is expensive for them to get there, and no guarantee on a return for that investment.

If it wasn't for a large show like this, I wouldn't even get the chance to see/hear the vast majority of this gear, so I'm grateful that the show exist.

And yes..I always use the stairs :)

vinyl_lady

« Reply #27 on: 20 Oct 2012, 02:57 am »
Din,

I'm really sorry we didn't run into each other. I was looking forward to meeting you. As an experienced RMAFer I'll take responsibility because I know from previous experience that one must prearrange to meet, exchange cell phone numbers or meet in the bar on Friday evening. This was my 8th RMAF (I missed the first one in 2004). I went in 2005 to search out and find speakers to replace my B & W's. It was smaller then and easier to navigate then. I came back in 2006 to continue my speaker search and bought the Daedalus DA-1 show demos. RMAF was quite a bit larger that year. I keep coming back because of the fellow music lovers I've met at RMAF and through AC and to check out new gear, especially vinyl playback gear. I learned early on that one cannot make all the rooms and thus, as others have suggested, needed to make a plan and decide which rooms I want to visit.

I'm used to large conventions/trade shows as my employer hosts a 250 exhibits/2,800 attendee convention every December and that experience probably helps me navigate RMAF. I also volunteer to help with show set up on Thursday and Friday morning and that has given me a chance to meet many exhibitors and CO Audio Society members.

I enjoyed this year's RMAF because I got spend time with new friends, meet some ACers I hadn't met before, pick up some vinyl and listen to music on some really fine systems that aren't insanely priced. I plan to return next year for the same reasons and will do a better job to connect with other ACers.

Laura

George3

« Reply #28 on: 20 Oct 2012, 04:00 am »
I am also beginning to wonder if I attended the same show for my experiences were great and I thought it to be a wonderful show.  Certainly there are always some hiccups at any show, but what few there were appeared to be minor to me. Compared to last year, I thought or it appeared to me that attendance was down and I had no problem navigating the halls or even using the elevators.  The exhibitors also appeared to be a lot more responsive this year which for me was the highlight of the show. I brought my own music because after three years of trying to decide what speakers to replace mine with I had a short list of three and I was hoping to finally make a decision to purchase one.  All of the exhibitors went out of their way to accommodate me. Not once in the over twenty plus rooms I auditioned my CD did I get a frown, rolled-eyes or hiss when I asked if I could hear my CD. Granted, I had three cuts which totaled about four minutes so that I wouldn't disrupt other listeners and at my short list rooms I was there for hours on end.  Yet, I was indulged.

Perhaps the show was so spectacular because I did make a decision and bought a pair of speakers. Nevertheless, if I had come home empty handed I still would be of the opinion that this is one Great Show. I thank the show organizers, the CO audio society and most of all the exhibitors for a most enjoyable experience.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #29 on: 21 Oct 2012, 12:36 am »
check out some of the smaller shows.  come on down to next years lone star audio fest in dallas. :thumb:

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #30 on: 21 Oct 2012, 02:46 am »
I am trying to go to LSAF, CAF and RMAF next year! 

Hope to see everyone at all three shows.

TONEPUB

« Reply #31 on: 21 Oct 2012, 03:06 am »
It was great to finally meet you in person, Laura!

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #32 on: 21 Oct 2012, 03:08 am »
I am trying to go to LSAF, CAF and RMAF next year! 

Hope to see everyone at all three shows.
Hey, doing this retired doesn't count!!!  :P

vinyl_lady

« Reply #33 on: 21 Oct 2012, 05:01 am »
It was great to finally meet you in person, Laura!

Same here Jeff. Seems like everytime I went to your room you were out wandering. At least we ran into each other a few times. I enjoyed the conversation we had. I will make it to Portland soon and look you up.

Best,

Laura