Damping component cases

John Gallup

Damping component cases
« on: 5 Oct 2020, 10:32 pm »
I just purchased a pair of Vandersteen M5-HPA monoblock amplifiers and noticed during the installation that the sheet-metal cases were damped (inside) with some squishy material, presumably to reduce ringing. When you tap on the case you get a satisfying low-frequency thud.

So now I'm thinking I need to do the same thing to the large expanses of sheet metal across the tops of my pre-amp and phono stage. Audioquest sells a sheet of sorbothane, and there are various thicknesses and sheet sizes available on Amazon. Anyone have any thoughts on what the material should be, and how thick?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Damping component cases
« Reply #1 on: 5 Oct 2020, 11:08 pm »
Rubber and similar materials may have a limited life I have used felt sheets what is a longo life material.

SET Man

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2020, 01:56 am »
Hey!

I have play sand in zip top bags on my CD play, Pre and power regenerator for years now. Not covering any heat vents of course. But I've been thinking of getting Dynamat sheets and put some in my CD player and etc.

Anyway, if you want to try something cheap, if there's room put a heavy book on top of your component and see.

Buddy

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2020, 02:05 am »
I have used AQ Bigfeet Sorbothane and have noted no improvment on top of a CD player só Herbie advice me against Sorbothane.

eichlerera1

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2020, 03:35 am »