BDP-1/2 Recommended Interfaces

Don_S

Re: BDP-1/2 Recommended Interfaces
« Reply #460 on: 11 Feb 2015, 03:42 pm »
HI

Just type the IP address of the BDP when you hook it up to your router and the interface will show up on your computer - use Chrome if you have it as a browser.

james

James,  Thanks for the response.  That seems real slick.  :thumb:

I do not have Chrome.  Choices are IE or FireFox.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #461 on: 11 Feb 2015, 04:13 pm »
James,  Thanks for the response.  That seems real slick.  :thumb:

I do not have Chrome.  Choices are IE or FireFox.

They may work but we find Safari and Chrome work best.

james

Rod_S

« Reply #462 on: 11 Feb 2015, 05:00 pm »
Why would you not design it so it's fully compatible with IE? Isn't that the most common broswer used, by a large margin?

Phil A

« Reply #463 on: 11 Feb 2015, 05:24 pm »
Why would you not design it so it's fully compatible with IE? Isn't that the most common broswer used, by a large margin?

Yes by about 3-1 (but I do like Chrome better):

http://www.forbes.com/sites/antonyleather/2014/08/04/google-chrome-browser-market-share-tops-20-leaves-firefox-in-its-dust/

It is very frustrating though when something favors one over the other.  I've had to go to websites which did not work with Chrome but did with IE.  That's just why I prefer something less proprietary as far as audio or other software.  We all have favorites and I prefer JRiver as it is just so easy to use.

Don_S

« Reply #464 on: 11 Feb 2015, 06:12 pm »
HI

Just type the IP address of the BDP when you hook it up to your router and the interface will show up on your computer - use Chrome if you have it as a browser.

james

Can't find the IP address.

Dave Jameson

« Reply #465 on: 11 Feb 2015, 06:15 pm »
I'm using IE to control my BDP2 and all appears to be working 100%. So before we all start making comments about what might "possibly" be wrong with the Manic Moose control software and interface, let's all try it out an report official benefits and problems. It doesn't help BDP users, potential or otherwise, to speculate that one method is better than another unless we can post facts.

Phil A, I agree that JRiver can be very good but can also be a huge pain for the uninitiated. But this is a BDP forum so I'm not sure what help JRiver can be to anyone here; just confuses matters, no?

FYI, Firefox has been a huge pain in the past (for a variety of programs including the web browser for the BDP), Google Chrome pretty much rock solid, and Safari has the odd hiccup but overall just fine.

One last rant: if you've purchased your BDP unit new or used from a retailer, likely they can offer you quick and succinct support solutions. Of course, if your retailer is a bit behind the digital times, then who better to ask then the folks at Bryston? But I notice a lot of the posts on these forums are a bit too short and sweet to be of any help if the end user is either new to digital audio or is stumped by some anomaly.

Cheers!

Dave Jameson

« Reply #466 on: 11 Feb 2015, 06:23 pm »
Can't find the IP address.

Hi Don,

First question is how is your BDP connected to your router? I apologize if you've already posted that somewhere else in this forum. If connected direct to your router or via a wireless hub, your BDP will have an IP address and you can find it by using the scroll down button on the front panel of your BDP. It should read four sequences of numbers like "192.168..etc or 10.10.. something or other". That is the number you type into the address search bar of whichever internet browser you use.

If you are not seeing an IP address and your BDP is in fact connected to your network, try rebooting the BDP. If the ethernet connection was made after the BDP was fully booted up, it may not acquire an IP address.

Don_S

« Reply #467 on: 11 Feb 2015, 06:36 pm »

Thanks to everyone for your for the prompt responses. 

Dave, You nailed it.  We connected the Ethernet cable after. Rebooted and working now.

Connected directly via Ethernet cable.

Dave Jameson

« Reply #468 on: 11 Feb 2015, 06:50 pm »
Beauty!

Now depending on the firmware you have installed, you should really explore some of the new features. There is also a way to download Bryston's latest beta firmware build which is really sweet! But you should be able to find out those details on the Manic Moose or other BDP forums. It does require a bit more knowledge of how the BDP is configured before it makes sense :)

Enjoy!

Phil A

« Reply #469 on: 11 Feb 2015, 08:03 pm »

Phil A, I agree that JRiver can be very good but can also be a huge pain for the uninitiated. But this is a BDP forum so I'm not sure what help JRiver can be to anyone here; just confuses matters, no?

Was just using it as an example nothing meant by it (sorry if you took offense - but I would disagree that JRiver is a pain, it is among the easiest software to use and you don't have page after page of problems) - could have just as easily put Microsoft Excel vs. using JRiver as an example of something standard

chuckworkb

« Reply #470 on: 11 Feb 2015, 10:57 pm »
James,
In regards to your question -  I am using 2.06 from Oct 2014.

Does the MPD version I'm using make a difference? I see there is version 17.x, and 18 on the unit.

Thank you.

Quote from: chuckworkb on Today at 12:38 pm

James, I tried that. I tried uninstalling the app on the phone and reinstalling it. This is just weird. Maybe I will try installing the app my another Android phone.

Ok let me know - and what version of software did you download?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #471 on: 11 Feb 2015, 11:08 pm »
James,

Does the MPD version I'm using make a difference? I see there is version 17.x, and 18 on the unit.

Thank you.

James, I tried that. I tried uninstalling the app on the phone and reinstalling it. This is just weird. Maybe I will try installing the app my another Android phone.

james

Hi

No the version does not matter.  Have you tried another Android app?

james

chuckworkb

« Reply #472 on: 11 Feb 2015, 11:20 pm »
Not yet, Got a suggestion on one to use?

Thanks for getting back to me.

Hey, I just restarted my bdp tonight and now it is telling me there is a firmware update. I just updated??

all this odd stuff started after I just updated.

Dave Jameson

« Reply #473 on: 11 Feb 2015, 11:31 pm »
James,

Thank you.

james

MM S2.06 was the last stable firmware release but one can easily upgrade to MM 2.10 using the "Update Firmware" section of your BDP's web browser. But this is where it can get a little difficult and I don't want to step on Bryston's toes by recommending you upgrade to an "unofficial" firmware revision....even though it seems to work perfectly :) Hopefully James Tanner or Chris Rice can chime in here with their thoughts on upgrading to MM2.10.

But to answer your question regarding the MPD version, once you've upgraded to MM2.10 2015-02-03 or later (all beta versions) you will need to change MPD to 18.21. I don't believe there is an audible difference between MPD version but I think 18.21 is more compatible with AIFF music files.

chuckworkb

« Reply #474 on: 11 Feb 2015, 11:45 pm »
Thanks for the info, Dave Jameson.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #475 on: 11 Feb 2015, 11:48 pm »
Try Mupeace

James

chuckworkb

« Reply #476 on: 12 Feb 2015, 01:16 am »
That worked.  Thanks

Don_S

« Reply #477 on: 12 Feb 2015, 03:29 pm »
They may work but we find Safari and Chrome work best.

james

Max worked very well with FireFox on my desktop.  :thumb:

Not so well with my iPad 3. Max kept freezing up when the iPad went into time-out.  Getting it going again required clearing, back key, refreshing the page, and reloading but not necessarily in that order.  I never did figure out the magic combination to get Max going again with minimal manipulation.

The unit was only visiting so I do not have the opportunity to explore using the iPad more.

Marius

« Reply #478 on: 12 Feb 2015, 04:23 pm »
HI All,

Just found out about Cantata on https://code.google.com/p/cantata/ running it on my Macbook right now. Seems a very nice interface, with all sorts of online services (Tunein!)

Preferences:

Its updating the database for a first time, so taking a while, but all seems very promising. Very quick response, although it looses connection during the process.

Anyone with Cantata experience on this board?

small miniature interface option:

full interface, with some apparent online background info:

Cheers,
Marius

Marius

« Reply #479 on: 14 Feb 2015, 10:36 pm »
some extra info on Cantata MPD player: http://www.maketecheasier.com/cantata-new-music-player-for-linux/
only issue, and quite annoying, is it loses connection a lot. Chris, would you happen to know this software, and have a fix for that, maybe in the settings?

the online services are a big plus on this Cantata interface, and album art is showing nicely.
would really be wonderful to have it keep its connection to the BDP  :scratch:

btw Chris, would you consider enabling the radiostations http://www.listenlive.eu to the bRadio index? Amazing site, very nice index.

Thanks, Marius