Crossover assembly 101

Danny Richie

Re: Crossover assembly 101
« Reply #40 on: 13 Sep 2010, 10:24 pm »
If you want to build out the crossovers yourself don't worry. I'll walk you through it, show you pictures, and everything.

Hot glue doesn't hurt the caps either.

bfr1992t

« Reply #41 on: 13 Sep 2010, 10:30 pm »
I am glad that the LS6 crossovers are hidden; my soldering isn't that good.

Practice on scrap materials!

I'd also suggest you pick up a eutectic solder. It melts and flows much more smoothly and IMO would be much better for a beginner so long as you're working with new clean components.

Guy 13

« Reply #42 on: 5 Nov 2010, 12:26 pm »
If you want to build out the crossovers yourself don't worry. I'll walk you through it, show you pictures, and everything.

Hot glue doesn't hurt the caps either.
Hi Danny and all AC members.
I think it would encourage and motivate DIYfers if you would supply crossover kits with printed on the board (Wood, plastic or PCB) the shape of the components and even have some holes for the TieWraps and wires...
How about supplying a small tube of glue for customers overseas, not easy for us to find good products overhere.
As for me, I would buy the crossover kits unassembled and do the welding myself.
Guy 13

face

« Reply #43 on: 5 Nov 2010, 05:59 pm »
That would take the seller more time to prepare the kits and cost us more in the long run, not worth it IMO. 

Hot glue isn't available overseas?

Guy 13

« Reply #44 on: 6 Nov 2010, 12:11 am »
That would take the seller more time to prepare the kits and cost us more in the long run, not worth it IMO. 

Hot glue isn't available overseas?
Hi.
The first time or initialy it would take more time for the seller, but later on, it will save time for the buyer. Yes, it would cost a little more, because the initial design cost, but that extra would be spread over many kits.
Offering two options is always good, for example. cabinets flat pack and assembled units. I don't think I am the only one looking for some help in building kits.
Here in Vietnam, they have hot glue, but you have to run around the city to find it, there are no Home Depot here where you can find everything you need under one roof. On my next trip to METRO (German investment) a large super market where you can find, rice, motorbike, cooking oil, tools, soap, TV and more... I will look to see if they have any hot glue, who knows, I might be lucky.
Guy 13
AKA : The lucky man.
It's not because you don't need or want something, that everybody else don't needed it. Needs and requirements vary from person to person, thank God we are not all the same on this planet.

kramertc

« Reply #45 on: 17 Nov 2010, 02:56 pm »
What is the recommended way to secure the crossover board inside the speaker cabinet?  In my case, this is the crossover for the N2X in a PE cabinet (the rectangular one).

Danny Richie

« Reply #46 on: 17 Nov 2010, 03:26 pm »
I use screws. That way if you need to remove it then you can do so easily.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #47 on: 17 Nov 2010, 03:28 pm »
I use screws. That way if you need to remove it then you can do so easily.

I used heavy duty 3M velcro (locking).  It works great. 

Is this ok Danny?

kramertc

« Reply #48 on: 17 Nov 2010, 03:56 pm »
I used heavy duty 3M velcro (locking).  It works great. 

Is this ok Danny?

What a good idea.  The brace of the PE cabinet splits the internal enclosure in half which forced me to have a small crossover board so I don't have a lot of finger room to do screws.

Danny?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #49 on: 17 Nov 2010, 04:27 pm »
You can always go external too.

kramertc

« Reply #50 on: 17 Nov 2010, 04:45 pm »
You can always go external too.

Too complicated!  I'd have to hide the crossover somewhere since the N2X pair will be on stands or, gasp, build an enclosure for it.  Thanks for the suggestion, though... :green:

django11

• Canuckistani
« Reply #51 on: 18 Nov 2010, 10:34 pm »
A soldering lesson/instructions would be great too!
The first two tutorial movies here are great starters for anyone with no knowledge of soldering.  They got me started...

hesster

« Reply #52 on: 21 Jan 2011, 01:30 am »

Here is another idea.

rockdrummer

« Reply #53 on: 3 Oct 2011, 07:40 pm »
I have studied this post so many times putting it together like a puzzle in my head, it's almost embarassing.  However, I am having so much fun!! 

There are small things attached to each cap in the pictures in the first post.  Not sure what they are.  I'm guessing a bypass?  Not sure where I picked that up.  I don't see them anywhere else in this post. 

Anyone know a good argument to convince my wife I need to order a V2 kit? :icon_twisted:

ben

WC

« Reply #54 on: 3 Oct 2011, 07:56 pm »
Well how will she feel about two speakers sticking out into the room by 3 feet.  :wink:

rockdrummer

« Reply #55 on: 3 Oct 2011, 08:03 pm »
I already have her used to that.  My current speakers are out that far, and I could move more.  I have been moving them a few inches every now and then to see if I am hearing an improved sound.  I have moved about 18 inches out in the last year.  If she notices, she doesn't say anything.  She is a wonderful singer and piano player, so she is pretty understanding about the placement.  Just not the payment. Ooh, bad joke.

Ben

kp93300

« Reply #56 on: 4 Oct 2011, 12:51 am »

Anyone know a good argument to convince my wife I need to order a V2 kit? :icon_twisted:

ben
Hi Ben,
i completed the V2 about a month ago.
The speaker is very good with the vocals and piano . It is very realistic and the low note from piano is excellent.
Maybe bring your wife for an audition and somebody in this forum may be able to arrange that.Unfortunately, I am from malaysia !

regards

kp93300

allfortheloveofmusic

« Reply #57 on: 9 Nov 2011, 04:55 am »
Boy it sure would have been nice if some pictures like these were taken of the crossover boards for the Super V. I can see how these photos showed a more step by step approach, as well as mentioned little things like twisting the wires with two pairs of needle know pliers. Here these pictures clearly show where and how all the leads end up and the sequence of installing parts with the silicon and tie down.. Yes this looks easy, but from what I have seen for photos for the wiring of the crossover for the Super V has completely taken the wind out of my sail on that topic, nothing worth a darn. A simple step by step deal would be amazingly helpful to someone that has never done this before.
As far as putting the rest together I'll probably need to seek out more help as well. DIY, that really mean do it yourself, everything. The orientation of the schematic likely perfectly aligns with a completed board, thus completely unraveling all the mysteries that lie ahead of a novice.

Danny Richie

« Reply #58 on: 9 Nov 2011, 03:58 pm »
This post was made in a Super-V build thread back in September:

See pics.  :green:

Yes, I mirrored the crossovers.

And a close up of one after adding the wiring.

And yes, that big Brown square thing is a Jupiter cap.

Danny Richie

« Reply #59 on: 9 Nov 2011, 04:21 pm »
While the Super-V is clearly not a beginner level kit, it has been successfully built by everyone that has tackled it. Not only do you have my full support but the help of many other builders here in the GR Research circle.

There are people available like Sean (the Skiing Ninja) that offer crossover assembly services. I even built out the crossovers for one customer too.

There are also several people that can build out cabinets for these speakers as well. It can be as easy as mounting the crossover and plugging it all in.