Just thinking out loud here

drphoto

Just thinking out loud here
« on: 10 Mar 2010, 02:49 am »
What about the upper OB portion of the OB7, the Neo 3 and the two mids as a monitor? combined w/ the OB subs I have? Would that work? Should be fairly inexpensive (unless a custom crossover is needed) and pretty easy to build.

Danny, is this something you ever considered? Or am I just a doofus? (probably)

Or do I just need to pony up for the co-ax and have essentially a V1? (or whatever it's called now)

TomS

Re: Just thinking out loud here
« Reply #1 on: 10 Mar 2010, 03:02 am »
Joe, you need the Super-V top end  :green:

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 10 Mar 2010, 04:21 am »
I basically already built it a year and a half ago. But I added a M-130X woofer to each end of the MTM so it was basically a WMTMW all in open baffle and a pair of the dual servo subs below.

It sounded incredible!

The problem was keeping the narrow baffle for the M-130's and Neo and then to transition to the wider 12" subs at the bottom. I even drew up plans for a lower section as a stacked lamination.

It also had a custom Neo tweeter to play in open baffle as well.

The whole thing just went way beyond what the average or even the advanced builder could build that it just got to unrealistic.

Then to be honest, the higher sensitivity of the V-1 and Super-V just took it to another level, and it is a lot easier to build.

drphoto

« Reply #3 on: 10 Mar 2010, 04:27 am »
Well, just for argument sake. What if the upper baffle didn't half to integrate w/ the subs but but stood alone? The baffle could extend to the floor into a plinth w/ maybe a truss rod creating a triangle to brace it. The subs could then go where they sound best.

Crazy?

Danny Richie

« Reply #4 on: 10 Mar 2010, 04:34 am »
You might as well do an entire OB-7 front baffle and driver layout with them all in open baffle.

Then add the OB subs.

drphoto

« Reply #5 on: 10 Mar 2010, 04:50 am »
cool. How would that compare to the coax in performance and price If ya don't mind saying.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #6 on: 10 Mar 2010, 01:08 pm »
You might as well do an entire OB-7 front baffle and driver layout with them all in open baffle.

Then add the OB subs.

You can do that with the OB7?  Have you ever tried anything like that before?

Nick77

« Reply #7 on: 10 Mar 2010, 01:45 pm »
I basically already built it a year and a half ago. But I added a M-130X woofer to each end of the MTM so it was basically a WMTMW all in open baffle and a pair of the dual servo subs below.

It sounded incredible!

The problem was keeping the narrow baffle for the M-130's and Neo and then to transition to the wider 12" subs at the bottom. I even drew up plans for a lower section as a stacked lamination.

It also had a custom Neo tweeter to play in open baffle as well.

The whole thing just went way beyond what the average or even the advanced builder could build that it just got to unrealistic.

Then to be honest, the higher sensitivity of the V-1 and Super-V just took it to another level, and it is a lot easier to build.

Was this what had been coined as the "Super 7"?

Danny Richie

« Reply #8 on: 10 Mar 2010, 11:48 pm »
You can do that with the OB7?  Have you ever tried anything like that before?

So long as you aren't playing too low you can.

I haven't tried a full on open baffle OB-7, but it would not be a problem.

Was this what had been coined as the "Super 7"?

Yep.

ebag4

« Reply #9 on: 10 Mar 2010, 11:53 pm »
The MTM section of the OB5/7 is high passed at about 200Hz which is where you have the servo subs low passed in the V-1 and Super V, are the additional bass drivers that are low passed at about 200Hz on the OB series still necessary?  What is their function in this scenario?

Thanks,
Ed

drphoto

« Reply #10 on: 11 Mar 2010, 12:30 am »
What would be the easier, cheaper better sounding solution? I think I can guess the answer and that is the coax. Is that because the design is more sensitive and inherently more coherent?

What about an OB array of ribbon tweeters and cone mids? Don't even worry about bass....let the servo subs handle that.

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 11 Mar 2010, 01:12 am »
are the additional bass drivers that are low passed at about 200Hz on the OB series still necessary?  What is their function in this scenario?

First question: Not really.

Second question: A few more woofers helping to handle that range or share the load a little between them lowers exertion a little more and lowers distortion.

What about an OB array of ribbon tweeters and cone mids? Don't even worry about bass....let the servo subs handle that.

Two models like that have already been in the works as well.

drphoto

« Reply #12 on: 11 Mar 2010, 01:52 am »
Does that mean you'll bring them to market, or were they just an experiment?

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 11 Mar 2010, 02:18 pm »
Somebody might bring them to market.

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #14 on: 11 Mar 2010, 02:28 pm »
Which ribbon?

Danny Richie