looking to build an N3...

scc135

looking to build an N3...
« on: 4 Nov 2009, 09:32 pm »
OK, I'm still a bit new to audio, but having owned Onix Ref 1s, and AV123 525Ms, I wanted to go with some towers next. I've been eying the N3, and even though I consider myself relatively handy, I don't own table tools, so don't even know where to start. I do have a cordless drill, batt operated circular saw, a jigsaw, and a dremel. I figured I would need a table saw, and a router if I want some nice rounded edges, and a bunch of clamps. Suggestions or any help? Or maybe someone in NYC wants to give me a hand?

cujobob

Re: looking to build an N3...
« Reply #1 on: 4 Nov 2009, 11:14 pm »
There are several sources for flatpacks....I'd go with something like that.  I think eD offers them at decent prices.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 4 Nov 2009, 11:20 pm »
I've built the AV-3's that are nearly identical.  It is a project that a beginner can do, but I'd suggest a table saw and a decent blade.  You can do it with a circular saw with guides, its just a bit more tedious.  Let us know how it turns out.  It's a great value speaker.

Almost forgot, you'll need a circle jig for the router, or make one yourself. You can do the woofer cutouts with the jigsaw, but the tweeter cutout needs a router and jig.

scc135

« Reply #3 on: 4 Nov 2009, 11:29 pm »
I really wanted to make it a DIY thing instead of actually buying a flat pack, although that is also an option as I've been talking to denny at custom concepts. I've built things before for work, so I don't think I'm gonna be in over my head, it's just that I don't have the tools for this project, and need to know what's a good table saw and router. Mind you, this is not what I do on a day to day basis, nor do I want something that'll just fall apart midway though. Something I can use a few times a year...

And if I deem this all too expensive, I might drive over and pick up those ref 2s you're selling bob...

dvenardos

« Reply #4 on: 5 Nov 2009, 05:06 am »
If you do decide to do flatpacks the N3 was hard for ED to transfer to their CNC machine and they were pretty high. I have been told that http://www.meniscusaudio.com/ has good prices on the N3. I have decided that flatpacks are a pretty good deal and still give you plenty of DIY satisfaction.
I had ref 1s and just having had the demo N2x I can say that the Neo line is stunning.

iskandam

« Reply #5 on: 5 Nov 2009, 07:43 am »
I had ref 1s and just having had the demo N2x I can say that the Neo line is stunning.
Can you share your impressions of them with us? :thumb:

dvenardos

« Reply #6 on: 6 Nov 2009, 05:50 am »
I am no audio reviewer but I will try my best.The Ref 1s have good detail but are pretty clinical which is why most people tend to pair them with tubes to get the best result. Currently I am using stock av123 strata minis as my main speakers these also have good detail and are a lush sounding speaker. The Neo 2x with the sonicap and mills resisters far outperforms both the ref 1 and the strata mini. The amount of detail in the Neo 2x is just plain amazing, in fact, at first it can be almost too much detail. As far a character they lie in between the mini and the av123. They are uber detailed without being dry or lush. They are an all around fabulous speaker and with a good sub you can't really go wrong with them.

Can you share your impressions of them with us? :thumb:

chip

« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2009, 02:25 am »
Let us know who you go with. I have the Neo 2x and I have been thinking of maybe going to the N3.

emac

« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2009, 04:18 am »
I am no audio reviewer but I will try my best.The Ref 1s have good detail but are pretty clinical which is why most people tend to pair them with tubes to get the best result. Currently I am using stock av123 strata minis as my main speakers these also have good detail and are a lush sounding speaker. The Neo 2x with the sonicap and mills resisters far outperforms both the ref 1 and the strata mini. The amount of detail in the Neo 2x is just plain amazing, in fact, at first it can be almost too much detail. As far a character they lie in between the mini and the av123. They are uber detailed without being dry or lush. They are an all around fabulous speaker and with a good sub you can't really go wrong with them.

The Neo 2x's are also better than the Ref 1's w/ the Ninja crossover that was designed by Danny Richie.  And they are better than the Paradox 1's that I own as well.  Though I'm not so sure if I would consider the Neo's to be better than the Mini's that I have w/ the Ninja crossover and Sonicap Platinum bypass caps.  Roughly equal since they do different things very well.