Q-Sound recordings?

PhilNYC

Q-Sound recordings?
« on: 1 Jan 2007, 03:16 pm »
There's a recording technology/technique known as "Q-Sound" that creates surround-sound effects using only 2-channel stereo.  Apparently, it is widely used in some of today's video games, but it has also been used in the mastering process of a number of music recordings.

See here for more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Q-Sound

I'm looking for more recordings that use Q-Sound.  The Wikipedia page lists the following:

The Adventures of MC Skat Kat and the Stray Mob by MC Skat Kat (1991)
Amused to Death by Roger Waters (1992)
Broken China by Richard Wright (1996)
The Immaculate Collection by Madonna (1990)
Pulse by Pink Floyd (1995)
The Soul Cages by Sting (1991)
Spellbound by Paula Abdul (1991)

In addition, I know that Mino Cinelu's debut CD also uses it (great CD, btw!), and one of the first two CDs by Extreme also uses it (although I don't know which CD by them it is).

Anyone know of others?

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
Re: Q-Sound recordings?
« Reply #1 on: 1 Jan 2007, 05:14 pm »
PhilNYC,

I experienced Q-sound sometime in the early nineties. A sound engineer buddy gave me a CD to listen to commenting on the great production on the CD. So I popped it into my player and was listening, only to have this this high pitched lazer gun type sound start from the tweeter on my left speaker go whipping past my head to the opposite right rear corner of the room! It almost makes you duck!  :o

It is a freaky effect for sure. I read an article about Q-sound in a sound engineering magazine article. They explained how it works. It is a neat thing. I don't know why it didn't become more popular, and I kind of forgot about it. Have you heard any of the CD's you list? If so, what are they using the effect for? I'd like to know what Roger Waters might have done with it.

Cheers

PhilNYC

« Reply #2 on: 1 Jan 2007, 05:22 pm »
Dayglow...I have Roger Waters' Amused to Death and use it fairly regularly to "wow" my non-audiophile friends... 8)  The effects are very cool.  In my basement (which is 41ft x 19ft), I have a two channel setup in the middle of the long wall, and an AV system set up along the short wall to the left.  In Amused to Death, a lot of the Q-Sound effect is done to make it sound like a TV is on to the far left...and more than a couple of times, listening to this recording was almost "lifelike", sounding like my AV system was actually on...!

I also listen to the Mino Cinelu disc a lot; it's a favorite at our NY Audio Raves.  And I don't have the Extreme disc, but have heard it on a system played in a 3000sqft NY loft on a system that features Von Schweikert VR-7 speakers (huge!), and the Q-Sound made it sound like there was a helicopter about 40ft away...  :o

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #3 on: 1 Jan 2007, 05:35 pm »
It is a very neat experience. The sounds do sound as if they are coming from another sound source entirely. If I can find the article I mentioned, I'll post it. It explains how they synthesize the localization cues to make it sound the way it does. I don't know why it wasn't exploited more, or why it hasn't become a mainstay and been developed more. I think it was a revolutionary invention. If I'm not mistaken, it actually won a few awards for sound innovation when it was first introduced. Maybe Dolby surround sound made it obsolete.

Cheers

arthurs

« Reply #4 on: 1 Jan 2007, 05:37 pm »
What's the title of the Cinelu disc?

arthurs

« Reply #5 on: 1 Jan 2007, 05:39 pm »
Looks like they're still around....

http://www.qsound.com/2002/

PhilNYC

« Reply #6 on: 1 Jan 2007, 05:39 pm »

arthurs

« Reply #7 on: 1 Jan 2007, 05:42 pm »
Thanks Phil.

Looks like it might be fun to get their Qcreator and apply the affect to ripped music and then burn your own "Q" cd's...may pass the day doing this....

arthurs

« Reply #8 on: 1 Jan 2007, 05:45 pm »
check that, looks like it only works on mono wav files...

Gordy

« Reply #9 on: 1 Jan 2007, 06:03 pm »
The soundtrack for Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves was done with Q-sound. 

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 1 Jan 2007, 06:06 pm »
My first experience with Q-Sound was several years ago with a local dealer demo'ing his new speakers using The Immaculate Collection by Madonna. Impressive.

I later picked this disc up and often use it in the showroom. If you listen to the song Vogue, there are parts where you think Madonna is hidding in the side and rear walls. I never really experienced anything phenomenal from the other songs but maybe just haven't paid attention.

Gordy

« Reply #11 on: 1 Jan 2007, 06:09 pm »

csero

« Reply #12 on: 1 Jan 2007, 07:03 pm »
Q-sound is one of the many transaural methods, based on crosstalk cancellation (XTC).

Good XTC can be used very effectively for sound reproduction to process stereo sources for really wide, natural sound stage - like in ambiophonics and other stereo dipole methods.

The Q-sound method have a couple of inherent limitations which makes it useful mainly for individual short effects or moving sources. That's why it is studio added effect only in sound reproduction, not a widely accepted method for playback.

PhilNYC

« Reply #13 on: 2 Jan 2007, 03:41 am »
So I stumbled upon Madonna's "The Emmaculate Collection" among my wife's CD collection.  Decided to try it out, and whoa!  Q-Sound Galore!!!  :banana piano:

It appears that just about the entire CD has been produced to provide an all-enveloping 360 degree experience... :thumb:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #14 on: 2 Jan 2007, 04:16 am »
I gotta check that out again....I've told a couple of people about it over the years, but haven't heard it in as long...

Cheers

arthurs

« Reply #15 on: 2 Jan 2007, 04:19 am »
Geez, I'm really going to have to go out and buy that disc to hear the Q sound??? :duh: :duh: :duh:

Daygloworange

• Industry Participant
  • www.customconcepts.ca
« Reply #16 on: 2 Jan 2007, 04:24 am »
Yeah, you won't believe it. It's freaky.

Cheers

dB Cooper

« Reply #17 on: 2 Jan 2007, 07:18 am »
I detest that no talent hosebag Madonna. One channel of her is too much.

chadh

« Reply #18 on: 2 Jan 2007, 03:26 pm »

I'm going to go and listen to Sting's "The Soul Cages" now, and see what happens.  Haven't heard this in years, and will be interesting to hear what it sounds like now I have a decent system.

Chad

John Casler

« Reply #19 on: 2 Jan 2007, 05:20 pm »

I'm going to go and listen to Sting's "The Soul Cages" now, and see what happens.  Haven't heard this in years, and will be interesting to hear what it sounds like now I have a decent system.

Chad

For Q-Sound to work, you "MUST" be equidistance between the two speakers.