New Klipsch RP-600M MK2

jrocks29ms@gmail.com

Re: New Klipsch RP-600M MK2
« Reply #20 on: 23 May 2022, 04:01 am »
I understood the increases in the voice coil size of the rp-600m 2 to be in width, is this not the case?
I hadn’t thought about the possibility of the tweeter being recessed from the larger/deeper waveguide. Same for the woofer voice-coil depth.

BicycleJoe

• It's all in one note
    • BicycleJoe Lo-Fi Sound and Vision You Tube Channel
« Reply #21 on: 23 May 2022, 06:41 am »
@Hobbsmeerkat thanks for your reply, I assume if I replaced the LE14H's with more efficient woofers a redesigned crossover would be necessary as well, is that correct?

Here is the service manual with the diagram of the speakers and crossover just in case that helps
https://servicemanuals.us/jbl/audio/240-ti.html

Shives

• I like French fries
« Reply #22 on: 23 May 2022, 11:10 am »
Few things I’ve learned, and this forum has helped it sink in again.

Metal cone drivers suck. Good on Klipsch for making a version 2 of a speaker that needed a ton of help.

No matter how much you spend on the Klipsch, you’ll still want more! It’s still a horn tweeter, I bet it still has a  x-over dip where the mid and tweeter meet, and it will need a phase flip. You’ll still have to spend more money to fix it.

Buy the AV123 stuff first, or the GR-Research speakers first. Or Tyler acoustics, something other then Klipsch. They are nice looking, yes… Sound wise they won’t be able to compare to paper cone, nice tweeter and better network components. Just facts.

799 a pair, and then spend money and time upgrading, or go right to the GR stuff! My vote, GR…

Good luck to all the new Mk2 owners and a new set of issues to find. Lolol.

slefley

« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2022, 04:23 pm »
Which models have you heard to base these opinions on?  I’ve only listened to the large corner horns, but those were very impressive.

NoahH

« Reply #24 on: 23 May 2022, 11:08 pm »
Which models have you heard to base these opinions on?  I’ve only listened to the large corner horns, but those were very impressive.

Heritage line and the consumer stuff are basically different companies. They don't have a lot of commonality.

Metal drivers also are a more widely polarizing thing too; a lot of folks find they prefer a certain material over time (I mean more generally than Klipsch). Most people land on paper cones eventually, but there are definitely exceptions of both people who prefer other materials and drivers that are not paper that many folks like. But the orange cones from Klipsch are definitely not one of the latter. ;)

jrocks29ms@gmail.com

« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2022, 12:47 am »
Shives your not wrong, but. Ive already landed on the Klipsch,  and done the work to upgrade the crossover and drivers, for my moderate system its okay for me. Just meets my needs but, if a simple woofer swap with increased performance was possible why not. Turns out the voice coil changes could change time alignment which is a problem not worth the cost of 99 a woofer. Price quoted by the Speaker exchange on new v2 woofers. There’s also the fact that they aren’t available as spare parts that i can find just yet.
In this case its not a sub 100 experiment.

I can’t justify doing a kit without a premium crossover and finish when I have the 1500-1800 and the time, sure. But for now I could use a better source, possibly an amp, there’s always something. I’m also in college and have a zillion other things that could use my attention, not least of all my student loans.
I just want to pause and enjoy for a while.
Doing a wooden dowel stripped hole fix on my speakers at the moment.
Danny is not wrong that the MDF in klipsch speakers is super cheap, took my drivers out 3 times, and the screw holes were demolished.