X3 Review by Marcus

Desertpilot

• Retired
X3 Review by Marcus
« on: 1 Dec 2021, 10:25 pm »
It’s important to note that I am a consumer audiophile.  I have no technical training; music theory training nor am I a musician.  I strive for high quality sound from my system because it help me become more emotionally connected to my music.

My X3s arrived mid-May, 2021.  As many of you know, I own three X3s (L, C, R, up front) for multichannel audio and home theater.  I am using two SVS Ultra Bookshelf speakers for rear surrounds (not the best solution but I can’t afford two more X3s).  I have two additional subwoofers but use them only for movies limited to 40Hz and below.  I am not using any special wiring (most all cables from Bluejeans Cable).  However, I do have several dedicated 20 Amp outlets.  My system is all solid state.  Music flows from my computer (Gosh, I need a new music server worthy of this equipment) via USB (AudioQuest Cinnamon A to B USB cable) to my DAC and then direct via XLR to my amplifier.  Movies flow from a different computer via HDMI to my Marantz AV8805 Pre/Pro then via another set of XLR cables to my amplifier.  I use a Coleman XLR 7.1 switcher to switch between my DAC for music and my Pre/Pro for movies.

Stereo (two channels):  A lot of my music is stereo (including Qobuz).  Initial positioning of the left and right speakers is very forgiving.  But, dialing in the position for best phantom center image will take some time.  My effort is as follows: I ended up with moderate toe-in of about 15 degrees.  Speakers are about 5 feet from my front wall and 9 feet apart.  Distance to my listening position is between 10 and 11 feet.  The X3s produce an extremely accurate center image.  It is so convincing that anyone listening to my system will swear my center channel speaker is active.  Soundstage (width) seems fairly easy to achieve.  Depth is dependent on speaker distance from the front wall.

Multichannel (five channels):  I own lots of multichannel classical music.  All music is on my server and is typically DSD or FLAC.  Lately, I have become impressed with DXD.  The X3s handle all of this music with complete authority.  A center channel speaker locks in the center image even for folks sitting beside the MLP.  Additionally, if properly mixed/mastered, a center channel speaker will improve instrument clarity and positioning all around the soundstage.  Many music reviewers prefer multichannel sound over stereo.  The surround image puts you in an orchestra seat about mid way back in the concert hall.  The rear surrounds are mostly to give concert hall ambience.

Music listening:  Stereo or multichannel, the X3s produce an incredibly accurate sound.  Soundstage is wide with great depth.  Yes, the speakers disappear.  A surprise to me is how every instrument is faithfully reproduced.  Just as in a concert hall with instruments across the entire stage, you will hear the full spread of instruments both near and far.  They are all there, right before you, enveloping you in sound.  None are drowned out or lost.  Even the delicate ring of a triangle comes through.  Each instrument stands out in a very satisfying way, the plucking of a double bass, decay of piano notes, a bow caressing a violin string, horns, even a tuba, in fact all of the wind instruments, are reproduced without any hint of distortion.  You will hear instruments you never heard before in your music collection.  It amazes me how I can literally see the position of instruments as they are positioned in the orchestra.  This speaks volumes about the X3s.

Another surprise to me is the detail in each recording.  For example, many composers will have a dominant melody.  It’s the melody you are familiar with when listening.  But, composers often have another melody playing more softly and in counterpoint to the main melody.  When I am listening, I can now distinctly hear these sub melodies which were lost to me before I got the X3s.  It is a sublime musical experience.  Vocals are a treat.  Close your eyes and the singer(s) stands before you.  Male and female voices including choirs all come through perfectly.  For example, I can hear and locate the female chorus off to the left and near the rear of the stage. The Male chorus is to the right and again towards the rear of the stage.  Another nice surprise was listening at low volume levels.  The X3s give you satisfying sound no matter what volume level you choose.  Tracks I chose for listening tests included both Jazz and Classical.  I will add these tracks in a follow-on post.

Home theater:  We do watch movies.  The X3s handle all of it.  Center channel voices are clear and robust.  An interesting experience for me was watching Blu-Ray operas.  Each actor is precisely placed along the soundstage.  Vocals, of course, are perfect.  I could never go back to watching opera with my old box speakers.

If the X3s are this good, what could go wrong?  My room is not ideal.  It’s a huge great room and our system is in a small part of it.  Wall on one side and none on the other, etc.  I recently watched an Audioholics YouTube video in which Gene installed his favorite new speakers RBH SVTRS tower speakers and in-wall center channel.  Even though his room is well treated, the price of the speakers, $50,000 a pair, includes installation and two days of room analysis and construction of DSP filters.  What this means to me is that even if I love the sound of my X3s, I am certain my final task is room measurements and developing DSP filters.  You can watch the video here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZEPgvPSo1E&t=50s

I listen to music every day (a perk of being retired).  There is never any hint of listening fatigue.  I can move around our great room and the music always sounds superb (a benefit of having that center channel speaker).  After all these months of owning the speakers, I am still enthusiastic to sit down and listen to more music.  Burn-in is truth.  The speakers, crossover and subwoofer amplifiers all need time to settle in.  But, the journey is breathtaking.

Marcus
« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2021, 12:22 am by Desertpilot »

Desertpilot

• Retired
Re: X3 Review by Marcus
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2021, 11:42 pm »
I know this is a lot of music but I wanted to post this list so you know how I judged the X3s.  I'll add comments as I get to it.

Opera:
Puccini: Tosca, Antonio Pappano, Conductor, Blu-Ray Video 1080P, Italian (DTS 5.1 Surround), Italian (PCM 2.0 Stereo) 2018, Subtitles in English.
Comment:  This recording is superb using the X3s.  I was not expecting this much detail and power, both the orchestra and the singers.  I absolutely love this scene at the end of Act 1.  Take a look on YouTube:  Te Deum (Bryn Terfel as a truly evil Scarpia, The Royal Opera) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0euYKIMfV4I
Piano & Orchestra
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 3, Hannes Minnaar, Piano, DSD 64, 2017 (I have both 2.0 & 5.1)
Comment:
Piano:
Wölfl: Eclipse, Vol. 1, Mattias Spee, Piano, DXD 24/352.8, 2021, (I have both 2.0 & 5.1)
Comment:
Oboe:
Vaughan Williams: Oboe Concertos, Nicholas Daniele, Oboe, DSD 64, 2015, (5.0)
Comment:
Double Bass:
Piazzolla, Rota, de Falla: BASSO BAILANDO, Rick Stotijn, Double Bass, FLAC 24/96, 2014 (5.0)
Comment:
Violin:
Kleiberg: Concertos, Marianne Thorsen, Violin, DXD 24/352.8 2021, (I have both 2.0 & 5.1)
Comment:
Orchestra:
Brahms: Symphony No. 4; MacMillan: Larghetto for Orchestra, Manfred Honeck, Conductor, DXD 24/352.8, 2021 (5.0)
Comment:
Choral:
Berlioz: 'Grande Messe des morts' Requiem, Op. 5, Antonio Pappano, Conductor, DXD 24/352.8, 2021 (5.0)
Comment:
« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2021, 03:30 pm by Desertpilot »

geerock

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2021, 11:54 pm »
I was just ignoring getting into streaming because I didnt know where to start with equipment for streaming. If you are looking to get off the computer get a hold of Andrew Gillis at Small Green Computer.  He has his own line of noiseless servers and he also sells the Sonore rendu equipment as end points.  Everything all pre configured for Roon, Qbuz, Tidal, etc.  Reasonable cost and lots of customer service.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: 2 Dec 2021, 12:16 am »
I was just ignoring getting into streaming because I didnt know where to start with equipment for streaming. If you are looking to get off the computer get a hold of Andrew Gillis at Small Green Computer.  He has his own line of noiseless servers and he also sells the Sonore rendu equipment as end points.  Everything all pre configured for Roon, Qbuz, Tidal, etc.  Reasonable cost and lots of customer service.

Thanks Geerock!  At the moment, I am preferring a Windows based solution so I can use JRiver Media Center.  I get my annual bonus retirement check in March so I am deferring a new server until then.  Most likely, I will build my own "fanless" PC.  If I can afford a prebuilt one, this is my choice:  fis Audio PC https://griggaudio.de/produkt/fis-audio-pc-konfig/.  About $5 or $6K.  Made in Germany.  All high quality components.  I just read a "Computer Audiophile" review of the Aurender N20 music server, https://griggaudio.de/produkt/fis-audio-pc-konfig/ but at $12,000 it is way out of my price range.

If I build it myself, this is the fanless case I plan to use:  HD Plex H5 https://hdplex.com/hdplex-h5-fanless-computer-case.html.

Marcus

TomS

« Reply #4 on: 2 Dec 2021, 01:02 am »
Thanks Geerock!  At the moment, I am preferring a Windows based solution so I can use JRiver Media Center.  I get my annual bonus retirement check in March so I am deferring a new server until then.  Most likely, I will build my own "fanless" PC.  If I can afford a prebuilt one, this is my choice:  fis Audio PC https://griggaudio.de/produkt/fis-audio-pc-konfig/.  About $5 or $6K.  Made in Germany.  All high quality components.  I just read a "Computer Audiophile" review of the Aurender N20 music server, https://griggaudio.de/produkt/fis-audio-pc-konfig/ but at $12,000 it is way out of my price range.

If I build it myself, this is the fanless case I plan to use:  HD Plex H5 https://hdplex.com/hdplex-h5-fanless-computer-case.html.

Marcus
If you're real serious about DSP in your future and also a high quality music server for JRiver, you really should speak with our very own Rich at Hollis Audio Labs (see his circle https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?board=71.0). He has worked with Clayton in the past and brings a lot to the table with the DSPNexus crossover/eq and music server (MS-6) products. They are very reasonably priced and complete customizable solutions.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 2 Dec 2021, 01:55 am »
Excellent review Marcus, I've read it completely through a couple of times now and you really capture what it is that makes the X3's so special - nice work! 

I'll add in my 2 cents as my experience echoes yours to a large degree.  With classical music, the thing the X3's bring to the table is all the subtle nuances that let you hear the difference between a good performance and a great performance.  The sense of touch and physicality and intelligence all come through beautifully and humanize the music in a way that very few speakers are able to achieve.

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: 2 Dec 2021, 02:23 am »
...  The sense of touch and physicality and intelligence all come through beautifully and humanize the music ...

I love this!  You are so correct.  Yes, humanize the music.  Isn't this what we want in our music?  It's more than hearing the notes, it's the emotional connection we get from it.

Thank you so much for your compliment.  Greatly appreciated.

Marcus

geerock

« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2021, 02:14 pm »
Case looks similar to what SGC uses in their fanless units.  I happened to mention to the queen of the house I was going to buy the I5 SonicTransporter from Small Green Computer and I did and slipped it into the system.  Well....she bought me the I9 with 4 T SSD storage a couple months before my birthday and never said anything.  She gave it to me on my BD and it was then that I told her I already had installed the I5.  It was too late for her to return it so here it sits.  Never used.  Never even hooked up.  Its top of the line model from SGC and can be had for less than the 3700 bucks it cost if anyone is interested.

WGH

« Reply #8 on: 2 Dec 2021, 04:32 pm »
Most likely, I will build my own "fanless" PC.  If I can afford a prebuilt one, this is my choice:  fis Audio PC https://griggaudio.de/produkt/fis-audio-pc-konfig/.  About $5 or $6K.  Made in Germany.  All high quality components...

$5K to 6K is grossly overpriced for a music server, I put together an excellent server for under 1K. If you add in the JCAT products then the price would skyrocket.

No need to buy a retail copy of Windows 10 or 11, it is still free. If you are replacing/rebuilding an older computer link your Windows license to your Microsoft account, my rebuilt music server registered automatically. I did a fresh install using the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool

How to link your Windows 10 product key to a Microsoft account

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-link-your-windows-10-product-key-microsoft-account

If you are building a new computer and don't have Windows 10 linked to a Microsoft account then entering the product key from a Windows 7 install CD will work too.

Building an Affordable High-End Silent Music Server with Pictures
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177495.0

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #9 on: 2 Dec 2021, 05:34 pm »
... I put together an excellent server for under 1K.

Thanks for the thread.  I'm looking at the Streacom case as well.  Appreciate the Acopian power supply tip.

WGH

« Reply #10 on: 2 Dec 2021, 06:19 pm »
Thanks for the thread.  I'm looking at the Streacom case as well.  Appreciate the Acopian power supply tip.

:thumb: When I was shopping all the HDPLEX cases and power supplies were out of stock which made deciding what to get easy.

Both the Intel i7 9700 and i7 11700 11th Gen processors are available in 65w versions, both will work with the stock heat pipes and then you can go DSP crazy. Get the processors with the integrated graphics.
The Asus Prime H570M-Plus LGA 1200 (11th Gen processor) has PCIe 4.0 so you can use the faster M.2 memory.
Not all motherboards have a VGA or DVI-D ports for a monitor.

Why a 9th or 11th Gen processor? So you can up grade to Windows 11. Windows 10 end-of-life is 10/14/2025, the date will probably be extended but I am hesitant about running Windows 10 without security updates if that date is fixed. Both my PC's are currently running W11, they are stable, fast with zero glitches.

AND the i7 11700/Asus combo can stream 2160p @ 60 Hz hi-def video and 7.1.4 Dolby Atmos sound (both compressed and uncompressed) over HDMI for the ultimate concert or movie experience.

« Last Edit: 2 Dec 2021, 07:55 pm by WGH »

DBT AUDIO

« Reply #11 on: 3 Dec 2021, 11:05 pm »
It’s important to note that I am a consumer audiophile.  I have no technical training; music theory training nor am I a musician.  I strive for high quality sound from my system because it help me become more emotionally connected to my music.

Marcus
That was an excellent review of your system!  Your opening statement is on point.  Thanks for sharing!

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #12 on: 4 Dec 2021, 12:19 am »
That was an excellent review of your system!  Your opening statement is on point.  Thanks for sharing!

You are most welcome.  I only rewrote it 800 times (LOL).

Marcus

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #13 on: 4 Dec 2021, 01:43 am »
Do you know the crossover points?

radarnyc

« Reply #14 on: 4 Dec 2021, 02:22 am »
Hi Marcus
I love your passion for Spatial Audio and I share it for sure! I went from having boxed speakers for 30 years to Spatials about 1.5 years ago and it's fair to say that I'll never go back to boxes. I recently had to send my LTA Z10 back to Linear Tube Audio so they could check it out (it's fine/great) and it was gone for a little more than one week so I decided to plug my Marantz solid state amp in. Frankly, it was like night and day and I just couldn't enjoy my X5s with the Marantz. I know that you have the 3 speaker thing and HT thing going on but if you have a friend with a tube amp, I'd encourage you to have him bring it over. If you're like me it will make a massive change in your system.  You seem like a curious and tinkering type so give it a try!
Meantime, continue to enjoy every minute

Desertpilot

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: 4 Dec 2021, 03:13 am »
Do you know the crossover points?
I believe Clayton set the subwoofer at 90Hz and below and the AMT driver at 1,000 Hz and above.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #16 on: 4 Dec 2021, 04:55 am »
Hi Marcus
I love your passion for Spatial Audio and I share it for sure! I went from having boxed speakers for 30 years to Spatials about 1.5 years ago and it's fair to say that I'll never go back to boxes. I recently had to send my LTA Z10 back to Linear Tube Audio so they could check it out (it's fine/great) and it was gone for a little more than one week so I decided to plug my Marantz solid state amp in. Frankly, it was like night and day and I just couldn't enjoy my X5s with the Marantz. I know that you have the 3 speaker thing and HT thing going on but if you have a friend with a tube amp, I'd encourage you to have him bring it over. If you're like me it will make a massive change in your system.  You seem like a curious and tinkering type so give it a try!
Meantime, continue to enjoy every minute

Agreed.  I was using my very nice Pass designed First Watt Burning Amp 3 for the last month to do the burn in for my X3's, it's a great amp, probably the best SS amp I've heard and certainly the best I've owned.  Today I took it out cause the speakers have over 600 hours on them so time to switch back to a tube amp.  Dropped in my very low powered Type 45 SET (1.5 watts of power), and it's just not fair how much better it sounds. 

abomwell

« Reply #17 on: 4 Dec 2021, 07:05 am »
I had a First Watt J2 solid state amp and compared it with a Carver Crimson 275 tubed amp. I greatly prefer the Carver. The First Watt, while an excellent amp, just sounds thin by comparison.

geerock

« Reply #18 on: 4 Dec 2021, 01:33 pm »
Spatials love tubes.  I run an el34 based LTA Reference 40 Plus, with a Don Sachs all in preamp, and a Musical Paradise MP D2 MK3 DAC with NOS tubes.  I'm presently running the finest system I've ever had.  Just stunning.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #19 on: 4 Dec 2021, 02:53 pm »
I had a First Watt J2 solid state amp and compared it with a Carver Crimson 275 tubed amp. I greatly prefer the Carver. The First Watt, while an excellent amp, just sounds thin by comparison.

abomwell had kindly invited me to his house where we compared the Carver to the First Watt and the difference was apparent immediately. The First Watt did sound thinner although a bit more finely detailed. I do wonder if a tube pre-amp would have made any difference. The Carver did sound very nice and gave a full, musical sound.