My next AVA upgrade

Komoyuki

My next AVA upgrade
« on: 30 Nov 2021, 11:58 pm »
So I decided to start a thread of my own. For a few months now I enjoy my AVA gears ( Vision SLR preamplifier & SET 400 power amplifier ) The main and only source is a Bluesound Node 2i which I use as a DAC and streamer for Tidal

I'm currently looking to upgrade my DAC for something that will equal the rest of my system. Speakers are Bower & Wilkins 706 S2.

A : Change my current pre amplifier for the new DVA digital amplifier ?
B : Keep the SLP premap and wait for the DAC MK5 until it becomes available again ?
C : What about the DVA A2D DAC ?

The goal is to still use the bluesound as a streamer only. I don't really care about MQA to be honnest.

Cheers !!

Wayner

Re: My next AVA upgrade
« Reply #1 on: 1 Dec 2021, 12:44 pm »
The AVA A2D is not a DAC. It's an analog to digital converter, not a digital to analog converter. (DAC).

Wayner

Komoyuki

« Reply #2 on: 1 Dec 2021, 01:21 pm »
The AVA A2D is not a DAC. It's an analog to digital converter, not a digital to analog converter. (DAC).

Wayner

Yeah that's what I saw after some reading. That leave me between the MK5 DAC and the new DVA digital preamplifier.

avahifi

« Reply #3 on: 1 Dec 2021, 02:23 pm »
Our DAC MK 5 remains in a suspended production status due to the unavailability of digital chips.

AKM, the vendor says  that replacements may be available late this coming winter.

The Digital Preamp is available. It has five digital inputs and is the best we have done.  Note that the A2D auxiliary box is to allow two analog sources to be used with the Digital Preamp.

We have a six weeks lead time right now to build these units for new orders.

Frank

RonN5

« Reply #4 on: 1 Dec 2021, 04:23 pm »
Frank, since the AVA Digital Preamp contributes to the sound of one's system by virtue of its DA conversion as well as its overall preamp performance, I'd like to ask a question...which may be a little too specific...but hopefully you can provide some guidance.

I'm currently running an oppo 205 with its (ES9038Pro DAC chip) using its analog output into a David Belles 22a (2- 12au7 tube) hybrid preamp https://www.mackenziehifi.com/belles-22a-hybrid-pre-amplifier-4631-p.asp .

With the AVA Digital Preamp, I think I'd be running the Oppo 205 digital output into the AVA preamp thereby bypassing the Oppo DAC chip.

I know that testers and reviewers love how the Oppo measures with very low SINAID, etc. but are mixed on how it sounds (Personally I've never found it to be overly bright or detailed).

So my question is how the Oppo/AVA digital preamp sound might compare to the Oppo Belles 22a preamp sound.

Again, I realize this might not be an easy question to answer but I hope you can take a stab at it.

whitebird

« Reply #5 on: 1 Dec 2021, 05:04 pm »
I am interested in the same type of comparison and should be able to provide some information when my digital preamp gets here (its been on order for two weeks now).

I use my 205 as a server with all of my music on a SSD hooked into the USB 3.0 port of the Oppo.  Currently I am using a LKV Research Line One preamp with no DAC in the system (Sonnet Morpheus had some issues). The amps are Frank's 225 monos. I will also have the Denafrips Gaia DDC in the chain.  Once the digital preamp gets here the Gaia will be fed by a S/PDIF cable (via digital out) from the Oppp and then will be feed the AVA digital preamp after the 1's and 0's are cleaned up by the Gaia. 

Personally, I have found that other DACs sound better than the 205 by itself, especially when the Gaia is in the chain.

Now, if my digital preamp would get here....

Komoyuki

« Reply #6 on: 1 Dec 2021, 09:47 pm »
Our DAC MK 5 remains in a suspended production status due to the unavailability of digital chips.

AKM, the vendor says  that replacements may be available late this coming winter.

The Digital Preamp is available. It has five digital inputs and is the best we have done.  Note that the A2D auxiliary box is to allow two analog sources to be used with the Digital Preamp.

We have a six weeks lead time right now to build these units for new orders.

Frank

It is always appreciated to read your comments. Could you be more specific about the difference between the performance of internal MK5 DAC and the performance of DVA digital DAC. It would be much appreciated.

Anyway, I will surely buy the new DVA preamplifier because I need more digital inputs than analog. And adding another box to my system is not my wish

avahifi

« Reply #7 on: 2 Dec 2021, 06:55 pm »
Our Digital Preamplifier has differences in electronics and its programming to provide even more seamless operation.

In addition the four new analog output sections are the best discrete transistor designs my EE has done.

Our Digital Preamp matches and keeps up with our new M225 balanced differential power amplifiers and that is saying a lot.

Frank

gene9p

« Reply #8 on: 3 Dec 2021, 10:14 pm »
I'm dreaming about the 225 monoblocks... 8)

Komoyuki

« Reply #9 on: 3 Dec 2021, 11:45 pm »
I'm dreaming about the 225 monoblocks... 8)

I would like to but I love my SET 400 power amp !! Still I wonder what would be the main difference between those two...