Anyone know how bands make money these days?

ctviggen

Anyone know how bands make money these days?
« on: 18 Nov 2021, 11:22 pm »
Had a party with teens.  They were playing music, none of which I'd heard before.  Some songs, they all sang.

None of them has bought any music, as far as I know.  We got my daughter a Spotify subscription.  But that's it. 

Everything for her is from...somewhere?  Youtube?  TikTok?  Not sure.

How do bands make money these days?  Merch? (Aka, merchandise)

WGH

Re: Anyone know how bands make money these days?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Nov 2021, 11:32 pm »
The make money by working for minimum wage in the service industry. :rock:

won ton on

« Reply #2 on: 18 Nov 2021, 11:38 pm »
concert's

Chewbacca

« Reply #3 on: 18 Nov 2021, 11:50 pm »
I know Spotify has to pay royalties for each play a song gets (at least that's how it used to be). It was something like $.003 a play... But when you have 100million plays of a song, it does add up.

I would imagine Qobuz, Tidal, and Pandora are the same. Most likely along with "official" channels on YouTube.

I recently met Greg Collier of the band Silver. One of their songs was the last song played in Guardians of the Galaxy 2, and he said the past couple years he's basically been living off royalties for that song alone.

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works
« Reply #4 on: 18 Nov 2021, 11:59 pm »
Virtual Concerts/on-line streaming by subscription/tickets:

Robyn Cage
https://mailchi.mp/robyncage/shows-the-last-waltz-livestreams-more?e=55ae6c0c11

Check it out

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #5 on: 19 Nov 2021, 12:19 am »
The majority of bands DO NOT make any "real" money.  They make enough to live their life hoping they get the big contract all while living the dream.  For the big ones, it's all about concerts and merch and of course the endorsement(s) they may have.  Streaming pays very little to even the large well known artists that have millions of plays. 

sebrof

« Reply #6 on: 19 Nov 2021, 02:08 am »
The majority of bands DO NOT make any "real" money. 
I suspect this is the same as it's been from a very long time...most musicians, most artists in general I'd guess

...hoping they get the big contract all while living the dream. 
What type of contract? It used to be a recording contract but if nobody's buying and streaming doesn't pay, I guess a concert/touring contract?

DannyBadorine

« Reply #7 on: 19 Nov 2021, 03:48 am »
The majority of bands DO NOT make any "real" money.  They make enough to live their life hoping they get the big contract all while living the dream.  For the big ones, it's all about concerts and merch and of course the endorsement(s) they may have.  Streaming pays very little to even the large well known artists that have millions of plays.

This is pretty accurate, though it depends on how you define "real money".  Many artists make between $100k and a million a year for the main members in the band. The more popular bands make money several ways, but most of it is from touring and merch sales.  Those who get music on TV commercials and shows make some decent money.  For most mid level bands, they make albums and tour on them.  The albums allow people to listen to their music on streaming services where the bands make little to no money, but it gets them exposure to get out and tour.  You can still make a good living in the touring business (I have worked in it for 12 years as an engineer), but it's hard work and a difficult lifestyle.  This is why it's important to support the artists that you like.  Buy their merch, buy their limited press vinyl and go see them at a show.  Bring paying friends.  They rely on your support and their shows support a large industry of professionals (some are not very professional) who work at the shows. 
I know a lot of musicians who are "hired guns" and play in several bands and make a decent living while getting to play music.  I think the cool thing about musicians not making as much money these days is that many of them are more connected with the people around them and they understand a little more what it is like to not have everything handed to without question.  But the famous musicians are making plenty of money.  Plus, they find other ways to make money.  Sammy Hagar made more money on tequila than he did in rock n roll.  Many others make wine, have restaurants, and other businesses that are successful.  Many of them are surrounded by terrible people who take a lot of the money and make bad business deals.  Many people in management are just scumbags but they know how to talk their way into high positions.  It's a tough business and it's eat honest people for breakfast.

DannyBadorine

« Reply #8 on: 19 Nov 2021, 03:55 am »
I suspect this is the same as it's been from a very long time...most musicians, most artists in general I'd guess
 What type of contract? It used to be a recording contract but if nobody's buying and streaming doesn't pay, I guess a concert/touring contract?
Most of the contracts that pay money are touring contracts.  They sometimes include a merchandise deal or that is done separately.  A lot of deals are "360" deals where an artist gets paid for an album and a set amount for each show.  Then the leeches take their piece of it.  If the artist is smart then they still make a good living.

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
« Reply #9 on: 19 Nov 2021, 04:49 am »
So, what we're saying is that bands make pretty much the same shit wages they've always made unless/until they make made it big?

Old as music itself...  8)

DannyBadorine

« Reply #10 on: 19 Nov 2021, 04:59 am »
So, what we're saying is that bands make pretty much the same shit wages they've always made unless/until they make made it big?

Old as music itself...  8)

I actually don't think this is true.  There are many more ways that bands can market themselves these days.  I know musicians in cover bands making six figures.  There are lots of bands making a good living, but they aren't all becoming filthy rich.  A lot of it has to do with good business practices and how smart they are at marketing themselves.  There are more opportunities now than ever but the money is often just a normal to good salary rather than being crazy rich.

Stercom

« Reply #11 on: 19 Nov 2021, 12:42 pm »

Most of the professional musicians I know are in a symphony, conduct or teach. Many give private lessons and perform for weddings/funerals on the side.

*Source of the pie chart above:  https://torrentfreak.com/music-sales-are-just-6-of-average-musicians-income-130114/

EdRo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #12 on: 19 Nov 2021, 01:53 pm »
My first gig in a metal band I'd joined we were packing up and the lead singer said..."time to get paid". He looked at me and said, "Go talk to the bartender". We had a good draw that night, so I walked straight to the barkeep and told him to hand over the bands money. He asked how much, so I told him 300. (This was 1996) He opened the cash drawer and handed me 300. I walked back to the band and handed the cash to the lead singer. He looked at me like I'd just did a miracle. I guess getting cash from the bar/club can be tough. I'n my experience, if you draw well you can get paid well.

Big Red Machine

« Reply #13 on: 19 Nov 2021, 02:07 pm »
My first gig in a metal band I'd joined we were packing up and the lead singer said..."time to get paid". He looked at me and said, "Go talk to the bartender". We had a good draw that night, so I walked straight to the barkeep and told him to hand over the bands money. He asked how much, so I told him 300. (This was 1996) He opened the cash drawer and handed me 300. I walked back to the band and handed the cash to the lead singer. He looked at me like I'd just did a miracle. I guess getting cash from the bar/club can be tough. I'n my experience, if you draw well you can get paid well.

So, same shit wages. We were getting $300 in the 80's for a night. :duh:

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #14 on: 19 Nov 2021, 02:44 pm »
Touring has pretty much gone by the wayside although it appears to be coming back.
Many of the musicians are literate so there's articles and books to help pay the bills.

Stercom

« Reply #15 on: 19 Nov 2021, 04:14 pm »
Many of the musicians are literate.....
:lol: :lol:  Yep, and unless you talking cover rock bands (and even some of those guys) have advanced degrees in music. Being a good musician takes lots of smarts and just plain talent.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #16 on: 19 Nov 2021, 05:01 pm »
Perhaps I could have phrased that a little better...
One of my buddies is a rock star type, last time I was at his house he was writing a book and doing articles for magazines.
He made it sound like touring was a thing of the past but he likes being home after a lifetime of being on the road.
His wife was somewhat less thrilled but that's another story.

Stercom

« Reply #17 on: 19 Nov 2021, 05:14 pm »
Perhaps I could have phrased that a little better...
One of my buddies is a rock star type, last time I was at his house he was writing a book and doing articles for magazines.
He made it sound like touring was a thing of the past but he likes being home after a lifetime of being on the road.
His wife was somewhat less thrilled but that's another story.
Yeah, I could totally see that.

dB Cooper

« Reply #18 on: 20 Nov 2021, 02:42 am »
I just saw Pat Metheny. He makes iy by charging $49-$89 a ticket in a venue of just under 2000 seats, This asking price, and audience size, was made possible by years of driving hundreds of miles in a $1500 sh!tbox old van when he was starting out, to play for audiences that barely even qualified as 'crowds' (he mentioned 'six people' in the interview and may not have been exaggerating). I wonder if a lightly talented entity like Taylor Swift ever did that- but some record company exec decided she was The Next Big Thing and she probably makes 20x as much and getx 20x as much backing from her label.  And Metheny probably ranks in the top tenth percentile of jazz artists revenue-wise.

I remember a couple songwriters being interviewed on the radio after a song they wrote got ~2M streaming listens. They described the feeling of anticipation as they opened the check. It was for seventeen dollars and change. Don't spend it all in one place.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #19 on: 27 Nov 2021, 10:41 pm »
So, same shit wages. We were getting $300 in the 80's for a night. :duh:

That's about 5 times what bands I was in got paid in the early 80s.