Open baffle bass (x5 and GR Research comparison)?

glfrancis

Open baffle bass (x5 and GR Research comparison)?
« on: 9 Sep 2021, 09:25 pm »
How does the (sub)woofer in the x5 compare to the GR Research open baffle subwoofers? The GR are servo controlled (just reading specs and YouTube). Jas anyone tried adding the GR Research subwoofers to your existing spatial audio or other speaker setup?

dallaire1

Re: Open baffle bass (x5 and GR Research comparison)?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2021, 12:16 pm »
I have purchased two of the twin stacks to mate with the M3's. I have not even been able to start the build yet, (3 months) as time has not permitted. I am currently using an old Klipsch 10 inch sub that is doing "OK". Really looking forward to getting them built by Christmas ! That was just one of my little let downs with the M3's (for me), they are a bit thin on the bottom for my liking. I could get down to 38hz in room. They may get lower "in room" if I moved them around, problem is I have them set finally where everything from mid bass to the top sounds very good. I use Dirac-Live to clean up the bottom end up to the 200hz mark. Once I build the subs I will still use Dirac-Live to help with integration as it does take a lot of modal energy out of the room.

doggie

« Reply #2 on: 11 Sep 2021, 12:45 pm »
I have purchased two of the twin stacks to mate with the M3's. I have not even been able to start the build yet, (3 months) as time has not permitted. I am currently using an old Klipsch 10 inch sub that is doing "OK". Really looking forward to getting them built by Christmas ! That was just one of my little let downs with the M3's (for me), they are a bit thin on the bottom for my liking. I could get down to 38hz in room. They may get lower "in room" if I moved them around, problem is I have them set finally where everything from mid bass to the top sounds very good. I use Dirac-Live to clean up the bottom end up to the 200hz mark. Once I build the subs I will still use Dirac-Live to help with integration as it does take a lot of modal energy out of the room.

How many hours do you have on your M3's?

Even if they have a lot of hours on them I am not sure they will be a good comparison for the powered sub drivers on the X5's. I had a pair of SVS 2000 subs with my previous speakers but have not missed them at all since my X5's exceeded 100 hours on them.

There is also the idea of attempting to match subs with "fast" speakers like the OB X5's. My guess is that OB subs would be a good choice if one still felt the need for better support for fundamental frequencies and did not want laggy bass from lesser boxed subs. In my mind, for music quality bass beats quantity.

dallaire1

« Reply #3 on: 18 Sep 2021, 12:34 pm »
I have stopped keeping track long ago, has to be close to a thousand hours I would be guessing. 

2bigears

« Reply #4 on: 18 Sep 2021, 07:30 pm »
 :D servo bass is the only game in town at this price point. Man do I need a set of x5s ,,,,ha.  Good bass is so good blended in properly. Can't beat servo low end.  :D

dallaire1

« Reply #5 on: 18 Sep 2021, 09:10 pm »
Really looking forward to getting going on my subs. I have never heard a servo/OB sub before. Also looking forward to all the control the rythmik amps have over the drivers. Sounds like a perfect match for the M3's to me.