M3 Sapphire - Low/Mid Volume Listening

minatophase3

M3 Sapphire - Low/Mid Volume Listening
« on: 5 Sep 2021, 02:57 pm »
I am considering buying the M3 Sapphires.  I was fortunate enough to meet Clayton a couple of weeks ago and hear them at his business.  We listened for about an hour and I thought they sounded fantastic. During the demo we had the music turned up pretty loud.  I realize now I didn't try them at lower to mid level volumes and that is how I listen to music a good portion of the time.  Can someone let me know how they sound when turned down to "the wife is in the next room and I don't want to upset her" listening levels :-).

Audiosaurusrex

Re: M3 Sapphire - Low/Mid Volume Listening
« Reply #1 on: 5 Sep 2021, 06:30 pm »
I do a lot of listening at low volumes and they are stunning. Lots of depth and clarity even at 35-40db.

minatophase3

« Reply #2 on: 5 Sep 2021, 06:32 pm »
I do a lot of listening at low volumes and they are stunning. Lots of depth and clarity even at 35-40db.

That is excellent to hear, thank you for posting!  When auditioning they sounded so good at volume it didn't even cross my mind to turn it down :-).

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 5 Sep 2021, 08:11 pm »
Yes, high efficiency speakers shine at low levels in a way that low efficiency speakers just cannot. 

forky

« Reply #4 on: 7 Sep 2021, 11:25 pm »
I am considering buying the M3 Sapphires.  I was fortunate enough to meet Clayton a couple of weeks ago and hear them at his business.  We listened for about an hour and I thought they sounded fantastic. During the demo we had the music turned up pretty loud.  I realize now I didn't try them at lower to mid level volumes and that is how I listen to music a good portion of the time.  Can someone let me know how they sound when turned down to "the wife is in the next room and I don't want to upset her" listening levels :-).

Lol, this is my life until I sound proof the basement which is where the stereo is. I live in a log home w/ no insulation in between the floors and have an (almost) open stair case going upstairs. I listen to around 60-65 dbs. I work at home and she doesn't work and doesn't leave the house much but when she does........85 dbs-ish.  :green: :green: :green:

But yes, they sounds fantastic at lower levels but....sound better when pushed some IMO.

Next project is sound proofing!

sockpit

« Reply #5 on: 8 Sep 2021, 01:15 am »
I listen usually around 70-80 decibels in a small room when I'm playing "loud". That's 30-40 % of my volume control.

12 or 13 watts from an LTA Z10 integreted.  I rarely use half of its 100 click volume control.  Low level listening is a mere 10-20 on a scale of 1-100.

I'm happy as a clam.  My SA speakers are the now discontinued M5 sapphires.   Woe is me.

sockpit

« Reply #6 on: 8 Sep 2021, 01:47 am »
Ok, playing at 65/100 now. What have I been missing!  Concert levels in font row, but the acoustics are far superior.

minatophase3

« Reply #7 on: 8 Sep 2021, 02:12 am »
Thanks for all the replies, I think it sounds like an excellent speaker for me, hope to order a pair in the next couple of weeks.

franSSS

« Reply #8 on: 8 Sep 2021, 08:25 am »
Thanks for all the replies, I think it sounds like an excellent speaker for me, hope to order a pair in the next couple of weeks.

There is a new model in the line up. The M4. Maybe ask Clayton's input on it?