Anyone with experience with dueland silver 0.01uF bypass caps?

Badd99

The 0.01 value being so small, does it really have a big effect? Thinking of adding to some vcap odam on nx otica tweeter circuit after another member here ordered them.

Argoncat

I am running 0.01 uF dueland silvers on my Studio's bypassing the capper-cap (Dannys) on the tweeter.  I took the advice from http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com and love the result although I must admit I haven't heard my Studios any other way.  A thread on NX Otica's recommends 0.22 uF on the tweeter circuit of the Otica, I can only assume the tweeter circuits are similar..  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177379.0

I am curious to try 0.01 / .1 / 0.22 as bypass caps but that gets to be a pricey experiment.

mkrawcz

So far, I have them bypassed with vcap odams on my
NX Studio tweeter and breaking them in. They seem to make the soundstage a little bit more palpable. I still need to get about 100 more hours on them to see if they improve a lot more. I’m still in the process of breaking in the odams on my NX Oticas and I want to listen to those speakers with just odams for a while before I add the Duelunds. I would recommend you do the same. It’s easy to twist them on to the tweeter later on. You may find that you won’t want to touch them once you hear those speakers with those caps. The funny thing is I bypassed the odams in my Folsom amp yesterday with the Duelunds silvers and today, that amp sounds the best it’s been. It was more dramatic in the amp than the speaker crossover so far.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
DIY is all about experimenting.  With Danny’s design and recommendations you already have a highly regarded design.  Using different caps just gives you a somewhat different result.  Ultimately only you can decide if the difference is worth it. 

Badd99

Thanks for everyone's responses.

Danny does provide a great design, but some of the parts are not the top tier to keep prices down. Upgraded kits are great but I want the very best so I am upgrading parts to the next level.

I will probably try the nx otica with vcap odam on the tweeter alone and then try dueland silver in the future. I will after your recs do the silver bypass off the bat on my folsom 7293 build to cross my vcap 2.2uf on that.

jorfila

Hi, first of all I'm relative new to crossovers on the learning phase (never designed a physical crossover). recently learned what an lpad is. yesterday saw Danny's video on "DO Parts MATTER?" (great video very informative)  in which he mentions the bypass cap. I found it very interested, so searched info on the topic and got very basic info on he patter but all info pointed to spaciousness and reverb and clarity. So, my question is where in the tweeter circuit is it used and when?.  is it used on other cap or on the resistor? is ether same result? or where can i find more information on this matter...

Thanks for your reply.   

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services

For size comparison, the photo shows a kit with two .01 Deulands as bypass.  The Deulands are dead center in the board.  Much smaller than the .01 Miflex.  Unfortunately I can't give any input regarding sound signature as these shipped out to a customer, and I haven't listened to them.

ezeescrossovers.com

mkrawcz

For size comparison, the photo shows a kit with two .01 Deulands as bypass.  The Deulands are dead center in the board.  Much smaller than the .01 Miflex.  Unfortunately I can't give any input regarding sound signature as these shipped out to a customer, and I haven't listened to them.

ezeescrossovers.com
The answer is they sound incredible bypassed with the VCAPs. They take a long time to break in, but once they get there, there is no going back. They just make everything sound more realistic and palpable in the room.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

E-ZEE Did a great job building your boards, looks great!  :thumb:  If one of you all can PM me, the manufacturers of all the upgraded components you used with values and any other pertinent information that would benefit the build, I would appreciate it. I would like to build NX STUDIO crossovers, in this exact configuration too. As a newbie, I need a diagram as to what goes where in terms of negative / positive sides of all board components. Preventing me from wiring the boards wrong. Also showing, what wires go to what drivers, tube connectors and so forth. I've seen some other pics of a stock build, showing wire and crossover visual diagram, but this mod here is a lot different visually for me. Therefore, I don't want to get confused and start soldering it up wrongly.

I noticed the copper resistor has three wires, with one being negative, do you solder this up? or just cap off and not use? In terms of upgrading to the components you have, what additional cost are entailed. Note, I already have the copper foil inductors.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Most everyone that I've seen using Path resistors just clipped off the drain/shielding wire. A couple people tested it, but didn't think it made any difference.
So I did the same with my NX Studio crossovers, & removed them.

But it's basically designed to be attached to the cable running to the negative terminal.

The foil inductors we use are from Bridgeport Magnetics
The main tweeter cap looks like a Vcap ODAM
Bypass caps are Deulund silver 0.01F
Woofer caps are Sonicap
Resistors are from Path Audio (two pairs running in series as they dont have singles in the exact values needed, but you can just use a single wth the closest values to save $120 without any issues.)

But if you want the values, you need to call and buy a kit without any caps or resistors for the tweeter circuit, and get those separately.  :wink: