How to measure speaker placement? From center of panel or edge?

glfrancis

My room is 13.5 feet wide and 19 feet long. Speakers are along the 13.5 foot wall. when measuring speaker placement, such as distance from the side walls, is it measured from the center of the panel or from the edge? Similar question when measuring the distance between speakers. Is the distance from the front wall based on the distance to the panel or the back of the drivers? Thank you thank you

Desertpilot

• Retired
My room is 13.5 feet wide and 19 feet long. Speakers are along the 13.5 foot wall. when measuring speaker placement, such as distance from the side walls, is it measured from the center of the panel or from the edge? Similar question when measuring the distance between speakers. Is the distance from the front wall based on the distance to the panel or the back of the drivers? Thank you thank you

Per the X3 user manual:  "... and at least 18 in. from the side walls to outside edge of the speaker."

I typically measure distance between speakers from the center of the baffle.  I also measure distance from front wall to front of the speaker baffle.

Marcus

glfrancis

Per the X3 user manual:  "... and at least 18 in. from the side walls to outside edge of the speaker."

I typically measure distance between speakers from the center of the baffle.  I also measure distance from front wall to front of the speaker baffle.

Marcus

Thank you

franSSS

Marcus

I am curious. How many inches or cm will make a time aligment fault? meaning the one speaker is further away from your ear compared to the other? Any ideas?

musicdre

• reality is the base
    • art site
I am curious. How many inches or cm will make a time aligment fault? meaning the one speaker is further away from your ear compared to the other? Any ideas?

imho, this is a very complex thing to analyze.   our two ears are already mis-aligned by several inches with respect to each speaker because they are on opposite sides of our head.  and both ears are receiving signal from each speaker AND from the various room reflections from each speaker.  the brain seems very capable of sorting these out.   in my experience, physical mis-alignment of speakers of a foot or so in the front/back plane was not perceptible sonically.   perhaps someone has experimented more with this?

Desertpilot

• Retired

My solution is to try my best to position the speakers equidistant from the MLP.  Even so, there are a couple inches of difference.  In ROON there is a DSP function.  You can select speaker setup.  Convert inches to CM and enter the number in to ROON for each speaker.  The speakers will be time aligned.

Marcus

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right

IME front to back differences of an inch or less make a difference in center image placement, but left to right placement can differ up to a foot before one notices any changes.  Toe in changes this a lot, for example crossing the aim of the speakers in front of your listening position expands the range in which differences aren't noticed.

As for where the measurement is taken, whatever is easier or floats your boat, as long as it's consistent.  In other words there are no standards beyond your own.

catluck

The above sentiments are certainly useful. One more thing however, I highly recommend a laser distance measuring device.  Using a tape measure, while often allowing a fairly close approximation, is, IME, not as precise as a laser device. And, it seems to me, a hell of a lot easier to work with.  Distances of 100th's of an inch can be immediately determined. Not saying that 100's of an inch will be perceptible but, rather, the precision, with a high quality system, is to be preferred I think. Plus, they're not expensive. You can purchase one for about $20 and then loan it to your audiophile friends.

Don_S

I have considered using laser measuring devices in the past but could never figure out how to determine their base position.  :scratch: If the base position is not centered accurately then all other measurements will be biased.

franSSS

Thank you all for your feedback and suggestions. I appreciate it.

catluck

To Don S, the laser pointer I use can be set to measure from the front of the device or the rear. I simply place the front of the device against the speaker's baffle and point to the front wall. Or, set it above the tweeter (1/2 way across the tweeter's dome) and measure to the sidewall - if I'm understanding you correctly).  I did note that using the laser device really did assist in optimizing the soundstage.