Efficiency of the NX Studio?

Fltguy

Efficiency of the NX Studio?
« on: 24 Jul 2021, 02:40 pm »
I am doing my homework on Decware tube amps to drive my nearly completed Studios. Decware amps require an efficient speaker.

Unfortunately, I cannot find an efficiency associated with the Studios.

Hoping somebody knows.

Efficiency at 88db at an 8 ohm load.

Thanks Hobbs!
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2021, 06:54 pm by Fltguy »

mkrawcz

Re: Efficiency of the NX Studio?
« Reply #1 on: 24 Jul 2021, 02:56 pm »
I believe they are 89db.

mick wolfe

« Reply #2 on: 24 Jul 2021, 04:06 pm »
Yes, I've heard 88db. In regard to tube amps however, one should first look at how friendly the impedance curve is. Knowing Danny designs, I'm sure it's fairly benign and tube friendly. With this in mind, we're back to the same old questions. How loud do you listen and how big is your room? If you already own the Decware's fine, but if you're ordering a new build, it supposedly takes months. If that is indeed the case, you might consider looking at other options. In regard to the NX Monitors, I plan on using a 22 watt 845 based SET in a fairly small room supplemented with 2 REL subs.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 24 Jul 2021, 05:49 pm »
It also depends on your setup.
If you're listening in the near-field I'd imagine even a 2W tube amp will get it plenty loud for most people.

In a more typical sized livin/listening room setup, I'm certain an 8W amp can do some great things.

mkrawcz

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jul 2021, 06:01 pm »
My Elekit TU-8600 which is 9.2w per channel can power my studios to pretty loud levels. That said, I wouldn’t go less on them in the living room.

EdwardT

« Reply #5 on: 24 Jul 2021, 09:53 pm »
I have the Decware SE341 amp, somewhere around 6 watts per channel. It would drive the X-LS speakers I built this spring to a pleasant but not loud level in our living space (around 14x17). I'm in the process of building a pair of X-SLS to replace the more efficient but quite as good sounding speakers that replaced those Encores and I have a 20 watt amp on order. Unless your room is on the small side you'll need more than the flea amp selections to hit a really nice level.

DoubleB72

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2021, 08:47 pm »
FWIW

I have a pair of NX Studios (with dual subs) in a rather small room (10' x 13').  Not ideal but, it is what I have to work with. 

I am running Rogue M-150's in triode mode.  More than enough power.  Very little difference when running in ultra linear mode.  I tried a Parasound A23 also.  Waaaay more power than needed in my room but, the added power did not help the low end of the Studios.  They just aren't going to get go low at all. 

The biggest difference for me was going from a single sub to stereo subs.  I was able to turn the subs down and set the crossover point higher.  The sound is way more natural.

Maybe one day, when the wife goes out of town for a week or two, I'll move everything into the living room to see what they can do in large room.

Not sure if that helps.  Best of luck.

CaptainBill

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jul 2021, 04:05 am »
FWIW

I have a pair of NX Studios (with dual subs) in a rather small room (10' x 13').  Not ideal but, it is what I have to work with. 

I am running Rogue M-150's in triode mode.  More than enough power.  Very little difference when running in ultra linear mode.  I tried a Parasound A23 also.  Waaaay more power than needed in my room but, the added power did not help the low end of the Studios.  They just aren't going to get go low at all. 

The biggest difference for me was going from a single sub to stereo subs.  I was able to turn the subs down and set the crossover point higher.  The sound is way more natural.

Maybe one day, when the wife goes out of town for a week or two, I'll move everything into the living room to see what they can do in large room.

Not sure if that helps.  Best of luck.

I’m planning the same setup but have not finished my NX Studios yet.  How did you configure the subs for low pass frequency and positions in the room?  Did you high pass the speakers or just let them roll off naturally?

Thanks,
Billy

Fltguy

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jul 2021, 10:56 pm »
Has anybody tried a solid state integrated amp that features class A power? Specifically, Pass Labs Integrated 25?