Bluestone Powernode opinions. Feedback needed

ButchWillard

Bluestone Powernode opinions. Feedback needed
« on: 22 Jul 2021, 12:18 am »
Hello All. I’ve just completed my XLS Encore Speaker build and need something to power them. Need to stream wifi from my iMac & likely a streaming service (Apple Music?). What are your thoughts on the new Bluestone Powernode with 80 watts and a new DAC. Too much, too little. Want to match the speakers to the amp & streamer. Can not connect direct from iMac so wifi a must as the cd collection is resident on the IMac with lossless. Thank you.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Re: Bluestone Powernode opinions. Feedback needed
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2021, 01:13 am »
I don’t have any direct experience with Bluesound products so can’t be much help there. You may want to give the PS Audio Sprout 100 a look. It is more than capable of driving the X-LS Encores, has the connectivity uou’re looking for, and is less expensive

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2021, 01:55 am »
I don’t have any direct experience with Bluesound products so can’t be much help there. You may want to give the PS Audio Sprout 100 a look. It is more than capable of driving the X-LS Encores, has the connectivity uou’re looking for, and is less expensive

2nd that rec.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2021, 01:59 am »
Make that a 3rd.  :thumb:

Chewbacca

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2021, 02:06 am »
4th! ... If you're buying new.

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2021, 02:22 am »
The Sprout has wifi?

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2021, 02:35 am »
I'd take the extra $$ you have left over with the Sprout and buy a HAL MS6 wireless streamer which is tiny (can be hidden out of sight) and sounds incredible.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2021, 03:17 am »
While the Sprout doesn’t have WiFi, it has Bluetooth for streaming from a phone or tablet, and a USB connection for a Computer. It also has Toslink, phono preamp, and analog inputs.

Since the computer has WiFi, with it connected to the USB input, music can be accessed via WiFi

Cloud.sessions

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2021, 10:29 am »
It all depends on what you want. I’m not somebody who believes in a collective “better” when it comes to sound. The encores are a speaker about clarity, if you want to double down on that transparency and clarity it’s hard to beat class D for the money. If you want to add something different to the equation like harmonic richness in lower mid range, class D isn’t the best route unless you separate your components and add that somewhere in your front end.
The bluesound has all of the features you would want and do a better job at transparency and clarity than the sprout. In general with class D the newer modules perform better than the older ones.

*note The encore will bottom out at SPL 90 and above with certain tracks. Bluesound has a high pass for the speakers built in when you connect a sub so take into account your listening levels because that could be a feature you want.

Good luck

ButchWillard

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2021, 02:56 pm »
thanks everyone

sunnydaze

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2021, 05:17 pm »
I recently got the PowerNode 2i and have paired it so far with JM Reynaud Twins mk3 and Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary speakers.  I think it sounds great!    :thumb:  Both these speakers lean to the warm, rich, relaxed, and musical.

Cloudsessions sums it up well.  I love the streamlined uncluttered one box solution.  Full feature set with great connectivity.  It's quite comprehensive regarding all the pay music services it offers, along with all the free streaming channels.  And the BlueOS operating system / app is considered one of the best and most user-friendly out there.  Cake to setup and use.  It receives Bluetooth and also sends it, so you can use BT headphones.

I do take advantage of the subwoofer output feature -- run it into my Gallo CL-10 sub.  Really like that the user adjustable crossover not only low-passes to the sub, but also high-passes to the main speakers.  When mains don't work as hard to produce LF you get better ease and clarity.

This is my second system that I basically run all day as I putter around the house.  It is smooth, sufficiently detailed (for me), and musical.  I don't push it hard, maybe 80db.  I don't sit in front of it for serious listening -- use main rig for that ("systems" page) -- but I thoroughly enjoy it, and it's well worth the $1200 spent (Twins used / Dentons open box speakers were both 500, and 700 for new PN on EBay).

Of course, this is my experience with my speakers.  No idea how the PN will synergize with your speakers.

PS:  IMO the Dentons are a screaming deal for $500 new / delivered, sometimes on sale at $400!  (Music Direct).  No brainer used at 200 to 300 dollars.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2021, 02:44 pm by sunnydaze »

sunnydaze

« Reply #11 on: 14 Aug 2021, 02:34 pm »
Hi Butch....

Your Encores turned out beautiful.  Really nice work, esp for a beginner.  They look professionally made!   :thumb:   Wish I had the guts and tools to attempt it.

For those interested, see them here:

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177372.msg1866715#msg1866715

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=177687.msg1869795#msg1869795

Toddo

« Reply #12 on: 14 Aug 2021, 11:13 pm »
The BluOS on the Powernode should support Apple AirPlay as well as a number of streaming services.  The larger services that will run on BluOS/BluSound are Tidal, Spotify, Qobuz, Deezer and Amazon Music. Can't speak to if 80W Class D is enough to make a pair of Encores happy.  The NAD M10 has a little more power and better overall components, but is getting up there a bit in price.  I have a NAD M12 with a BluOS streaming module in my main system and quite like it as a streamer. If you are wanting to tie in a couple of extra wireless speakers for elsewhere in the house it's not a bad eco system to be tied into.