DIY Rack

NoahH

DIY Rack
« on: 17 Jul 2021, 07:09 pm »
I have ended up in the GR camp because I am building a full DIY system. I just realized that the one thing I had not thought through yet is the rack itself. I had a moment of thinking that getting countertop stone remnants and making a stone one would be great, but I see a lot of comments elsewhere that stone is really resonant.

Anyone have good DIY rack ideas that don't require deep woodworking skills?

Bonus points if it could elegantly hold plate amps for the subs.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Re: DIY Rack
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2021, 07:40 pm »
No specific plans, but as a general design approach, make the rack low and wide instead narrow and tall.  For 2 reasons.  First, tall and narrow will interfere with imaging quite a bit.  And 2nd, if the rack is wide, you can put the sub amps closer to the speakers which is important because the servo circuit needs short runs from the amp to the subs.

Early B.

« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2021, 08:01 pm »
A few months ago, I was seriously considering building my own audio rack using extruded aluminum supports with butcher block shelves. I quickly realized it was cost prohibitive. If I was gonna build one, it would be top shelf (see what I did there?).

My point is -- unless you're a wiz at woodworking, compare the cost and time of building it yourself vs. buying one. I use an old, 3-tier, 4-foot long metal and glass TV stand :o that I fortified with a wood slab on top. Not ideal, but cheap and passes the wife acceptance test.

subsonic1050

« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2021, 08:41 pm »
Not sure where this falls on the woodworking skills continuum- it's not terribly difficult but it is handy to have some nice tools. Anyway, I'm in the middle of building my rack right now. It is heavily based on a design I saw and liked called the quattrabase - with a few changes. My design will have spikes on all 4 legs that will sit in cups on the platform beneath it. Then each level will have a second platform suspended on isolation feet. That way the whole thing is using both types of vibration dampening.

Here is the quattrabase that was the inspiration:

EdwardT

« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2021, 09:15 pm »

Subsonic's work is superior to my utilitarian design. That said, a Kreg jig can make assembly of a fundamental piece very easy.

Doublej

« Reply #5 on: 17 Jul 2021, 10:48 pm »
The simplest DIY rack might be the Flexy Audio Rack

https://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

I would build simple rectangular boxes or frames to house plate amps and then you can place them wherever you want.

subsonic1050

« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2021, 12:08 am »
The simplest DIY rack might be the Flexy Audio Rack

https://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/flexye.html

I would build simple rectangular boxes or frames to house plate amps and then you can place them wherever you want.

That flexy rack looks like a really great option for a quick DIY project. You could even grind the threaded rod at the feet end into spikes. I sort of doubt that the rubber washers are doing much to aid with vibration, especially since nuts will have to be tightened against them, but hey, it can't hurt and the design is nice and simple.

NoahH

« Reply #7 on: 18 Jul 2021, 12:27 am »
Subsonic - that is beautiful and definitely up there on the woodworking spectrum.

Thanks all for some cool ideas!

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #8 on: 18 Jul 2021, 11:40 am »
The best rack IMO has the smallest footprint.  If keeping wires short is a priority, the rack must go between loudspeakers and interference with the soundstage is highly undesirable.  The alternative is to locate gear just below the listening floor (but the best floor is a concrete slab).  I've found that anything between the loudspeakers disrupts the soundstage.  The best "rack" I've had was a home made single spiked shelf on the floor (think of old style amp stands).  The system was made up of a minimum number of small components.  Prior to that I had a "huge" 15" x 20" x 22" Ikea nightstand that had two adjustable shelves.

Here's a fine example of a small rack from Channel Island Audio:

https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=201699

Early B.

« Reply #9 on: 18 Jul 2021, 01:07 pm »
The best rack IMO has the smallest footprint.

Agreed. You have to figure out rack size, length, and placement where it does the least harm. My rack is on the right wall and it interferes with the right speaker's dispersion, but it's better than any other alternatives. If I had a man cave, I'd place most of my components on the floor on amp stands. Also consider aesthetics, vibration dampening, cable management, cable lengths, outlet location, cost, quality, and purchasing more shelf space than you currently need.

rtate

« Reply #10 on: 18 Jul 2021, 01:41 pm »
Is there that much improvement from having the rack on a side wall as opposed to in between the speakers ?
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2021, 01:10 am by rtate »

Voncarlos

• OB5s in Stripes
« Reply #11 on: 20 Jul 2021, 12:48 pm »
Hey subsonic1050,
Any chance we can see more of your work on these stands? Maybe start a new thread for them.
Lovely workshop !!! And very clean !!! What are you using at the final end of your dust collection?
Thanks

RonP

« Reply #12 on: 20 Jul 2021, 01:40 pm »
Here's a fine example of a small rack from Channel Island Audio:

https://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=201699

can you make that 2 stacks of half the height? that'd be better imho.

Early B.

« Reply #13 on: 20 Jul 2021, 01:41 pm »
Hey subsonic1050,
Any chance we can see more of your work on these stands? Maybe start a new thread for them.

How about offering us non-woodworkers flat pack options?

Vince in TX

« Reply #14 on: 20 Jul 2021, 02:49 pm »
Are boxes an acceptable DIY alternative?   :icon_lol:

Kidding, of course.   I have a component rack on order that's supposed to arrive today.   I guess you can call it "DIY" since I'm just starting with the skeleton and will add to it (sides, door, fans, etc.) over time.   This is for the back of the room.   I may use something other than an old glass and metal TV stand that's supporting the X-Voce currently when I put the Odyssey amp up front.

Early B.

« Reply #15 on: 20 Jul 2021, 03:45 pm »
I'm interested in input from this group on modular DIY racks. I have 8 components, so it's tough to find a traditional rack that will accommodate all of them.

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #16 on: 20 Jul 2021, 04:10 pm »
Hey subsonic1050,
Lovely workshop !!! And very clean !!! What are you using at the final end of your dust collection?
Thanks

I would love to see what you could come up Voncarlos? All I know is that it would be awesome! :D

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #17 on: 20 Jul 2021, 04:13 pm »
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=63111.0

This might have some dead ends as it is getting a little old now.

subsonic1050

« Reply #18 on: 20 Jul 2021, 05:31 pm »
I missed a few responses on here, sorry about that. Voncarlos - sure I'll absolutely post an update. Actually I finished everything yesterday, but I'm still waiting for the spikes to arrive. I'll post some more pictures once the spikes are installed.

Early - I'd love to do flat packs but these things are labor intensive. If I had an industrial CNC it would be no problem, but I don't. I made a template with my Openbuilds Lead 1515 CNC, but cutting through 1.25" solid ash just isn't an option with it. Therefore, Every single one of these platforms was glued up, the holes in the 4 corners as well as the mortises for the legs were cut on the CNC, but then I used a bandsaw to cut away the exterior waste, and forstner bits to clear away most of the waste for the interior pockets. Then the template was attached and everything was flushed up with a heavy duty flush trim bit. Then everything had to be sanded on the drum sander, rounded over, etc. A lot of work - probably cost prohibitive to offer something for sale. Also the people who make the quattrabase might not be very happy with me as it is very similar in design. I appreciate the compliment though!

Don_S

« Reply #19 on: 20 Jul 2021, 05:42 pm »
I considered purchasing walnut butcher block from this company and making my own rack. They are located in Oroville, CA (north of Sacramento). I was going to either use threaded rod or purchase matching backsplash and double it up for legs. They offer a variety of woods. Shipping could get expensive.

http://www.perfectplank.com/index.html#xl_HeadingAnchor:58Y19CH

Then I had a better idea. I went to my local Woodcraft store and got a recommendation for a local woodworker. I eventually purchased three racks from him made to my specifications. One was maple butcher block which was unexciting to look at and did not fit my decor in my new home. I replaced the maple rack with walnut racks which are gorgeous. Those are wider boards, not butcher block.