X MTM crossover installation

Coreyportelli

X MTM crossover installation
« on: 17 Jul 2021, 05:04 am »
Hi all I was looking at one of the builds of a X MTM Encore on this forum and I saw that the person building the kit fitted the crossover before fitting the front baffle.
Is this the way they must be built, can the crossover be fitted after the cabinets are finished?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: X MTM crossover installation
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jul 2021, 02:55 pm »
Sure, it'll be a little more difficult, but you can fit it through the woofer holes in most cases.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #2 on: 17 Jul 2021, 03:38 pm »
I've never installed a crossover during assembly, although I have drilled and threaded mounting screw holes for crossover boards to facilitate installation during final assembly.
If I'm not mistaken, Mike Lundy split the crossovers and mounted directly behind drivers, which would have no sonic penalty but would be easier from an assembly standpoint.

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
« Reply #3 on: 17 Jul 2021, 05:00 pm »
I'm also a fan of splitting the crossover into multiple boards.  It's easier to install two small boards into cabinet, than 1 larger board, especially when the cabinet has lots of bracing like the x-mtm does.  I would do as Peter J referred to, putting one board behind each woofer opening.
Here's examples of two boards per cabinet and three boards per cabinet, depending upon how complex the networks are.

Good luck with your project.  I think the x-mtm is a winner and maybe deserves even more praise and attention than it gets.

Elon

ezeescrossovers.com

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #4 on: 17 Jul 2021, 05:27 pm »
I've never installed a crossover during assembly, although I have drilled and threaded mounting screw holes for crossover boards to facilitate installation during final assembly.
If I'm not mistaken, Mike Lundy split the crossovers and mounted directly behind drivers, which would have no sonic penalty but would be easier from an assembly standpoint.

The X-MTM Encore has plenty of room to mount a single crossover board with both circuits behind the tweeter. The same place it goes on the X-CS Encore. I also do not mount the crossover boards until I am ready to wire up the speaker.

I split the circuits onto two boards for the X-SLS Encore. This allowed me to mount the crossovers on the cabinet sides just below the bottom woofer which is easier to get to.

Coreyportelli

« Reply #5 on: 18 Jul 2021, 12:31 am »
Splitting the two circuits onto two boards, and placing one behind each woofer is a excellent idea, that way they can be accessible if need be.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jul 2021, 01:24 am »
Splitting the two circuits onto two boards, and placing one behind each woofer is a excellent idea, that way they can be accessible if need be.

That’s one way to do it but not what I did