Incredible Soundstage from CD

speltz

Re: Incredible Soundstage from CD
« Reply #40 on: 31 Jul 2021, 06:24 pm »
You should have a listen to the LP version, as it sounds just like what you are describing coming from your CD version.
That’s what I did. I listened to the CD, then put the LP on — and the soundstage was about half of what it had been in the case of the CD. That was the point of the post.

It’s entirely possible that an earlier pressing of the LP was mastered in QSound, in which case it would presumably sound the same as the CD. My LP is the 2017 Anniversary Edition, remastered by Vic Anseni.

Phil A

« Reply #41 on: 31 Jul 2021, 06:48 pm »
There may be some more info here: - https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/albums-recorded-in-qsound.721979/   or here: - https://www.avsforum.com/threads/qsound-list-of-material.1988490/  or here: -  https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/whatever-happend-to-q-sound.381660/   (especially like the comment "See the documentary "The fate of Q Sound", available on Beta videocassette exclusively.)"   and there's actually an old thead here: - https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=35316.0  and I'm sure there are lots of others.  With the hardware I mentioned earlier (Carver C-9), I'm pretty sure one could run the output to a CD recorder (I used to own one but gave it way with some other stuff before I moved just over 7.5 years ago but never tried it) while having the output of a CD player going into the input on a C-9 unit and have in effect an a Sonic Hologram CD produced.  It was one of many things that I never got around to play around with.

speltz

« Reply #42 on: 31 Jul 2021, 07:42 pm »
You’re a font of intriguing information, Phil.

toocool4

« Reply #43 on: 31 Jul 2021, 07:58 pm »
It’s entirely possible that an earlier pressing of the LP was mastered in QSound, in which case it would presumably sound the same as the CD. My LP is the 2017 Anniversary Edition, remastered by Vic Anseni.

My LP is the original 1990 release. It would be interesting to compare the 1990 release against the 2017 re-issue.

Phil A

« Reply #44 on: 31 Jul 2021, 08:11 pm »
You’re a font of intriguing information, Phil.

THX      :green:   

I've owned many things (too many and still do) over the years.  I remember having surround sound before Dolby was available and also having a house pre-wired during construction for rear surrounds and getting asked what is it for.  Way back in the day, I owned one of these - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV49RPUCkWo

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #45 on: 31 Jul 2021, 08:23 pm »
I don't remember the Flame Linear but I had two of the one that came after that, the Carver C-4000.  Looks to be the same basic thing.
It was a fun piece play around with.
The things sports fans say to referees, tsk tsk!

I asked over on thecarversite if anyone has done a CD-R with a C9 unit so I'll post if there are any replies.

Phil A

« Reply #46 on: 31 Jul 2021, 08:38 pm »
I don't remember the Flame Linear but I had two of the one that came after that, the Carver C-4000.  Looks to be the same basic thing.
It was a fun piece play around with.
The things sports fans say to referees, tsk tsk!

I asked over on thecarversite if anyone has done a CD-R with a C9 unit so I'll post if there are any replies.

The Carver unit was about the same and of course came after Phase Linear.  I owned lots of their equipment.  Had a C-9 unit years after that but sold it and probably re-bought a couple about 15 years back.

Steve, do you know if someone is still upgrading the Carver C-9 units?  I had a couple of units and a friend who helped me pack up the good audio stuff (when I moved the end of 2013) always wanted one so I gave him the other.  There was someone advertising on Audiogon about 5 years back or so but I never got around to it.  I believe besides the inner parts they changed the RCA jacks with the upgrade being offered.  I meant to get to it but then since I don't use it tons, I hesitated and never saw the ads again.  Thx

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #47 on: 31 Jul 2021, 09:05 pm »
I'll find out for you, there's quite a Carver gear contingent going.
I keep hearing really good things about his tube amps, by the way.
Kinda wish I would have grabbed the pair that were on here a few months back.

Phil A

« Reply #48 on: 31 Jul 2021, 09:19 pm »
I'll find out for you, there's quite a Carver gear contingent going.
I keep hearing really good things about his tube amps, by the way.
Kinda wish I would have grabbed the pair that were on here a few months back.

They are really nice.  Heard them (along with his speakers) at the Florida Audio Expo.  Here's a shot of the Crimson 275 from the 2019 Florida Audio Expo.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #49 on: 1 Aug 2021, 09:07 am »
Phil,
I sent you a PM with the email for the fellow who does the C9 upgrades and
  Oh yes, it was discussed back in the day about making holographic cassette tapes. I think that it might be discussed in the C-9 manual, but don't quote me on it. Anyway, Bob was saying that indeed the holographic process could be transferred to cassette, read most likely any audio recording device. If I remember one suggestion was about the possibility of listening to these tapes on car radio. Of course results would wildly vary but who doesn't like to have some fun with stereo?

toocool4

« Reply #50 on: 1 Aug 2021, 09:34 am »
Oh yes, it was discussed back in the day about making holographic cassette tapes.

What's a holographic cassette?

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #51 on: 1 Aug 2021, 10:05 am »
Doing a recording with a Carver C9 sonic hologram generator engaged.

That bit with the casettes isn't from me, it's from the fellow who is doing the upgrades on the C9.
I no longer have a unit here to play around with to see what it does with a CD-R.

Phil A

« Reply #52 on: 1 Aug 2021, 11:45 am »
Steve - thanks - got the PM and will eventually get the upgrade.  Yes - the manual is at the Carver site (https://thecarversite.com/).  The manual indicates that the implied license is to play cassettes and not to make recordings using the unit.  As I noted earlier, the effect is based on (besides speaker positioning in the room, etc.) how the recording was made (explained in the manual).  Several years back I dragged out some CDs to make a CD-R of some demo stuff to use with the unit (I have so much music, I just did it in a short period of time, otherwise I could be there for months).  I have favorites I used to demo the unit from many years back.  One of them from memory is Ray Charles "Hit the Road Jack."  I remember years back at my old house having a friend over and playing the cut and watching the jaw dropping look on his face when the back-up singers voices were coming from several feet to the right of the right channel (he kept looking for the speaker that wasn't there).  I did the demo where I live now for another friend as well and got a similar perplexed look.  I have my unit in a back-up system that is mainly used for home theater and UHD (though it is quite decent for music).  When I play music in the main system it is via a music server.  I do have an old modded Oppo 83 in the system but it is connected to my DAC via a coax digital and is more or less there if someone comes over with a disc.

Phil A

« Reply #53 on: 29 Aug 2021, 12:21 am »
Got the upgrade to the Carver C-9 done and got it back yesterday.  All I can say is wow!  Since I don't do disc playback, I'm going to be moving it in the near future to a secondary system where I have an Oppo 103D (just a 2-channel system and the Oppo is there if someone brings a disc over but it is hooked to the network and I can access my music library on my NAS) and will hook it hook between the Oppo and my NuPrime IDA-8 Integrated/DAC.  Definitely well worth the upgrade.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
« Reply #54 on: 29 Aug 2021, 09:57 am »
I was wondering if you had that done.
Glad it worked out.