Crossover Frequency - X-Static and X-Voce

Vince in TX

Crossover Frequency - X-Static and X-Voce
« on: 15 Jul 2021, 02:00 pm »
Just curious what everyone is using for their crossover frequencies.   Audyssey (temporary calibration until I get my A/V-1RS speakers) locked the X-Voce at 40 Hz and the X-Statics at 60Hz.   Right now I have them all set to 80 Hz (default).

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Crossover Frequency - X-Static and X-Voce
« Reply #1 on: 15 Jul 2021, 02:22 pm »
My handful of years old receiver won't go lower than 80Hz so that's where my X-Statiks are.  I also tried full range and was surprised by the amount of bass I was getting.  I almost didn't need a sub.  Almost but not quite. 

Vince in TX

« Reply #2 on: 15 Jul 2021, 02:53 pm »
My handful of years old receiver won't go lower than 80Hz so that's where my X-Statiks are.  I also tried full range and was surprised by the amount of bass I was getting.  I almost didn't need a sub.  Almost but not quite.

My Marantz SR8015 could actually drive them down to 20 Hz if I wanted to.  But not sure I want to.   I'll need to experiment with it once I get some acoustic panels installed.

Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive)

Badd99

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jul 2021, 06:56 pm »
You should leave your receiver playing full range to your speakers. Your speakers have their natural crossover. Let them roll off naturally instead of inserting another EQ from the receiver into the system. You will get much better sound playing full range and letting your speakers do what they do naturally.

If you add a sub, you can use your receiver to cross that over - leave your speakers full range here too and they cross over at their natural slope.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jul 2021, 08:14 pm »
My Marantz SR8015 could actually drive them down to 20 Hz if I wanted to.  But not sure I want to.   I'll need to experiment with it once I get some acoustic panels installed.

Power Output (8 ohm, 20 Hz - 20 kHz, 0.08% 2ch Drive)

X-Statik specs:

System: Three way, five driver open baffle/sealed hybrid
Drivers: 1" treated fabric dome and 4x custom 6.5" curvilinear shaped treated paper cone woofers with polymer chassis
Crossover: 200Hz and 1800Hz
Frequency Response: 65 Hz to 20 KHz (± 3 dB)
Impedance: 8 Ohms nominal
Efficiency: 90.5dB (@ 1 watt / 1 meter)
Dimensions: 46.7" H x 8.5" W x 16.5" D

Vince in TX

« Reply #5 on: 19 Jul 2021, 03:50 am »
X-Statik specs:

System: Three way, five driver open baffle/sealed hybrid
Drivers: 1" treated fabric dome and 4x custom 6.5" curvilinear shaped treated paper cone woofers with polymer chassis
Crossover: 200Hz and 1800Hz
Frequency Response: 65 Hz to 20 KHz (± 3 dB)
Impedance: 8 Ohms nominal
Efficiency: 90.5dB (@ 1 watt / 1 meter)
Dimensions: 46.7" H x 8.5" W x 16.5" D

I wonder if that still holds true with the Skiing Ninja crossovers.   I'll have to talk to Danny.   But it appears setting them to 80Hz was the right call (at least for now).   As an experiment, I did set the X-Voce to 40 Hz and noticed some more depth in the voices.   Of course, that's without instrumentation.   I'll get more scientific once I have everything else in place.

Thanks for the info!

dryan01uk

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jul 2021, 06:02 am »
Hi Vince,

Following this thread with interest - I'd be interested in your final 'more scientific' measurements, although, I'm a great believer in the school of 'if it sounds good, it must be good' <shrug>

D

Vince in TX

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jul 2021, 02:18 pm »
Hi Vince,

Following this thread with interest - I'd be interested in your final 'more scientific' measurements, although, I'm a great believer in the school of 'if it sounds good, it must be good' <shrug>

D

Well, yesterday wasn't a good day in the sound department.   And I'm hoping it's a side effect of HDMI cabling (running DP 1.4 to HDMI 2.0b conversion) and not an issue with the in-wall wiring.   I put together another Home Theater PC over the weekend, one that can actually support playback of 4K HDR content.   The only "digital" 4K UHD title I have is Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.   Either the center channel audio track from this older film is horribly distorted (almost radio quality), or there are problems in the hardware.   The optical drive with the system only supports SDR (1080p) Blu-ray, so I couldn't try a UHD disc in it.  And SDR content through the projector in Windows 10 looks horribly washed out even with HDR mode turned off (needs significant calibration), so I doubt I will keep an HTPC in the mix.   The picture, however, when HDR was running in exclusive mode looked phenomenal.   I'm beginning to understand why dedicated home theater media servers for digital files are in the $5K and up range.   I'll figure it out eventually.   There's a Kodi project working on HDR support that I'm trying to get access to.

I'm also still waiting on my Odyssey amplifier for the X-series speakers.   Klaus is working on fulfilling April orders now.   And Danny is still working on getting me my A/V-1RS speaker kits and some no-res for my Servo Subs.   Everything is on hold again until parts arrive.