Best amps to drive Electrostats

Kw6

Best amps to drive Electrostats
« on: 13 Jul 2021, 04:27 pm »
Hi everyone!

Is better to have high power solid state or medium power tube amp (40 watts) to drive Electrostats in not so large room?

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Best amps to drive Electrostats
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jul 2021, 04:39 pm »
Hi everyone!

Is better to have high power solid state or medium power tube amp (40 watts) to drive Electrostats in not so large room?
I could prefer Class D due hi damping factor imo.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2021, 09:20 pm »
Is this a theoretical question or do you have something in mind?

The Martin Logan ElectroMotion ESL has a benign 6 ohm impedance, is efficient at 91 dB and can be driven with 20—300 watts per channel.

The Martin Logan CLS was an inefficient 84 dB with an amplifier exploding 2.5 ohms at 10kHz, and finally bottoming out at a value of 1.6 ohms at 20kHz.

Mike-48

« Reply #3 on: 14 Jul 2021, 02:29 am »
I am using Apollon SS amps with PuriFi 1ET400A modules to feed Janszen Valentinas, which are electrostatic with cone woofers. The speakers benefit from the extremely low distortion, effortless power, and load invariant output of well-implemented Class D amplifiers. Earlier, I used three different SS Class AB amps, and tried several more. Most of them sounded very good -- but I prefer the Apollon Class D amps for the stated reasons.

artur9

« Reply #4 on: 14 Jul 2021, 02:50 am »
I am using Apollon SS amps with PuriFi 1ET400A modules to feed Janszen Valentinas,
I'm using Odyssey Audio Stratos Monos for my Janszen za2.1s.  Sounds good to me!

Kw6

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jul 2021, 04:58 am »
Well everyone! I was thinking of Nad c298, Prima Luna Evo 200 or on the expensive side Simaudio 330 a power amp!

Kw6

« Reply #6 on: 14 Jul 2021, 05:00 am »
I'm using Odyssey Audio Stratos Monos for my Janszen za2.1s.  Sounds good to me!

Ok thanks! But I heard Klaus was difficult to deal with!

Kw6

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jul 2021, 05:02 am »
I am using Apollon SS amps with PuriFi 1ET400A modules to feed Janszen Valentinas, which are electrostatic with cone woofers. The speakers benefit from the extremely low distortion, effortless power, and load invariant output of well-implemented Class D amplifiers. Earlier, I used three different SS Class AB amps, and tried several more. Most of them sounded very good -- but I prefer the Apollon Class D amps for the stated reasons.

Is sound with Apollon very sweet?

Kw6

« Reply #8 on: 14 Jul 2021, 05:28 am »
Also a bit hesitant on class D as right now running a Nad
c390dd and although great imaging sounds a bit lean. Is Purifi different?

Mike-48

« Reply #9 on: 14 Jul 2021, 07:02 am »
Is sound with Apollon very sweet?
A well designed amp with PuriFi modules is sweet in the sense of having extremely low distortion and being load-invariant, meaning that it won't exhibit frequency irregularities when driving reactive loads. Since I find distortion and FR bumps to be as un-sweet as anything, I would call my amps sweet, though it's not a term I habitually use for audio gear. As an illustration, I can (and do) listen to decent commercial recordings of harpsichords, sopranos, and violins with pleasure. The amps are not sweet in the sense of having audible high-frequency rolloff or added warmth.

Some comparisons to other amps I've heard for weeks, months, or years: I consider the Apollon amps similar in tonality to the Bryston 4B3, Classe CA-2300, and AVA FetValve 400R. On the other hand, the Apollons are perhaps a little cooler than the Pass X250.8. (One person would say "less colored," another "less beautiful," but compared to a tube amp, the differences are small.) Despite its wide acclaim, the Sanders Magtech sounded cooler than neutral to me; the Apollon amps do not sound like that at all.

What I've noticed with the Apollons (and another "D" I tried) was remarkable clarity, which I like.

Good luck!

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #10 on: 14 Jul 2021, 10:38 am »
I believe that OTL amps are often recommended for stats. Do you DIY? You might check out Transcendent Sound. If not, then Atmasphere seem to be the most popular OTL company. There are others though.

The sound is usually sublime.

kingdeezie

« Reply #11 on: 14 Jul 2021, 01:32 pm »
I think we need more information. Electrostatics have huge impedance swings depending on the frequency. A full-range stat may go from 30 in the lows to 1 in the highs.

A hybrid stat would see less variance.

For a full-range stat with SS you need plenty of juice to compensate for the low frequency high impedance. You also need something that is stable into 2-ohms or less.

I use a PL 350.8 on my SoundLabs. Others use 100+ watt tube amps. If it’s full range, I wouldn’t go less than 200 watts.

twitch54

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jul 2021, 01:50 pm »
As a few have already said, too many variables without knowing more. What stats exactly are you driving ? Modern Hybrid Logans for example are far easier to drive than a pair of twenty year old CLS's.

With regards to generalities, SS amps that can safely 'dbl down' do best with the capacitive load of a stat.

twitch54

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jul 2021, 01:53 pm »
A well designed amp with PuriFi modules is sweet in the sense of having extremely low distortion and being load-invariant, meaning that it won't exhibit frequency irregularities when driving reactive loads.

stats present a capacitive load to ones amp

twitch54

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jul 2021, 01:54 pm »
medium power tube amp (40 watts) to drive Electrostats in not so large room?

Again, another 'generality', lesser tube amps quite often will roll off the upper freq of stats.

JCarney

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jul 2021, 02:28 pm »
Sanders Sound Systems manufactures an amp specifically for electrostats called the Magtech. It is a bit pricey at $7000, and I noticed you mentioned the Simaudio 330 at $4300, so the Magtech might be a reach financially. It seemed worth mentioning though. I included a link to the Magtech page.

Good Luck,
JCarney

http://sanderssoundsystems.com/products/amplifiers/magtech-amp

P.S. Klaus is not difficult to deal with. He's just hard to get ahold of. Klaus is great guy, and very easy to deal with, again, just hard to get ahold of. If interested in Odyssey, late evenings are your best bet to call.

Kw6

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jul 2021, 03:25 pm »
I believe that OTL amps are often recommended for stats. Do you DIY? You might check out Transcendent Sound. If not, then Atmasphere seem to be the most popular OTL company. There are others though.

The sound is usually sublime.

Why is OTL better? I thought  transformers vat output like tube amps and McIntosh amps make ESL sound better?

Kw6

« Reply #17 on: 14 Jul 2021, 03:26 pm »
Sanders Sound Systems manufactures an amp specifically for electrostats called the Magtech. It is a bit pricey at $7000, and I noticed you mentioned the Simaudio 330 at $4300, so the Magtech might be a reach financially. It seemed worth mentioning though. I included a link to the Magtech page.

Good Luck,
JCarney

http://sanderssoundsystems.com/products/amplifiers/magtech-amp

P.S. Klaus is not difficult to deal with. He's just hard to get ahold of. Klaus is great guy, and very easy to deal with, again, just hard to get ahold of. If interested in Odyssey, late evenings are your best bet to call.

Cool thanks! I will look into your suggestions!😊

Kw6

« Reply #18 on: 14 Jul 2021, 03:32 pm »
Hi everyone!

Yes I have the Martin Logan Electromotion ESL! My amps are currently Nad c390dd or Cayin cs-55a tube amp.

I see Twitch's point as the Cayin sounds fuller but highs seem soft compared to Nad. My favorite choice right now is Nad c298 and I would need to get a pre amp.

Jazzman53

• Jazzman's DIY Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
    • Jazzman's Electrostatic Loudspeaker Page
« Reply #19 on: 14 Jul 2021, 04:01 pm »
I'm driving homebuilt hybrid ESLs with a pair of vintage Carver TFM-25 SS amps (225W RMS/Ch) in a vertical bi-amp setup using a DSP crossover.  Great punch and sounds fantastic without spending a lot of money.  I got the amps off Ebay for around $300 a piece, then did a full recap/refurb for about $60 each, and feeding them with a DBX Driverack crossover for about $400.  The takeaway here is:  Buy the best if you can afford it, but you really don't have to spend big to get great sound.