Chewy's SolidWorks Fun, & (Maybe?) NX-Otica Build

Chewbacca

Re: Chewy's SolidWorks Fun, & (Maybe?) NX-Otica Build
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jul 2021, 11:02 pm »
Chewy, I don't know enough about crossovers to advise.  I just like looking at what other people do and get ideas for when I finally wire up the crossover for my Oticas.  I'm pretty literal when it comes to interpreting the networks.  So I'm inclined to do separate leads for each circuit just so that the layout is visually clear and can be easily compared to the schematic.

No problem! I just talked to Danny on the phone, and he verified that it looked correct.

I'll most likely have this at least mock wired up over the weekend and will post better picture/s if anyone would like to reference it.

paolocaminiti

« Reply #21 on: 10 Jul 2021, 02:51 pm »
Speaking of projectors, I use a xiaomi laser ultra short throw: picture quality is stunning with laser even on a white wall at 170" diagonal (as long as you are watching in a dark room which is fine for movies but not daily tv). Screens for ultra short throw are expensive. The main advantage is you don't get shadows, for example I have it same distance from front wall as the speakers and it just projects behind them filling the whole wall. The speakers oclude part of the image of course (occlude don't shadow) but I find the it doesn't annoy me at all as most action is always in the middle of the screen, there's a picture here with spatials m3. I soon hope to build a pair ot nx-mtm :)
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171006.msg1830114#msg1830114

Chewbacca

« Reply #22 on: 12 Jul 2021, 02:13 pm »
Speaking of projectors, I use a xiaomi laser ultra short throw: picture quality is stunning with laser even on a white wall at 170" diagonal (as long as you are watching in a dark room which is fine for movies but not daily tv). Screens for ultra short throw are expensive. The main advantage is you don't get shadows, for example I have it same distance from front wall as the speakers and it just projects behind them filling the whole wall. The speakers oclude part of the image of course (occlude don't shadow) but I find the it doesn't annoy me at all as most action is always in the middle of the screen, there's a picture here with spatials m3. I soon hope to build a pair ot nx-mtm :)
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=171006.msg1830114#msg1830114

Holy cow... I didn't even realize they made projectors like that. Basically 12" from the wall and you can have a 150" screen???

But you did state my main issue with projectors "as long as you are watching in a dark room which is fine for movies but not daily tv"

To just have it on in the background with the windows open and a bright room is essential for me... Maybe I'll just get rid of the TV all together and eliminate all the eye pollution I intake :lol:

Chewbacca

« Reply #23 on: 12 Jul 2021, 06:27 pm »
Just wanted to give a shoutout to my Little Lady! She is the most lovely, pleasant, kind, and beautiful woman in the world... and I have no idea what she's doing with me! :lol: She has a great tolerance for my insane hobbies, and even loves to encourage and help with them!

She gave me a hand with wiring up the xover. She has a hobby of stone wire wrapping... So she's basically already a pro at it... Hmmmm... how do I make a family business venture out of this??? lol

Also - Just a shoutout to all the Ladies/Gentlemen out there that deal with a spouse with such a crazy hobby! We certainly appreciate it! :D

tull skull

• I can't send hare in search of anything!
« Reply #24 on: 12 Jul 2021, 07:36 pm »
Chewey,

You are truly blessed! To have someone so lovely aim that adorable smile in your direction is cause for a thankful heart.

Good luck with the project.

Chewbacca

« Reply #25 on: 12 Jul 2021, 07:55 pm »
Chewey,

You are truly blessed! To have someone so lovely aim that adorable smile in your direction is cause for a thankful heart.

Good luck with the project.

Thanks tull skull! I couldn’t agree more… every day is a blessing!

adammichael

« Reply #26 on: 16 Jul 2021, 12:47 am »

I also drew the entire downstairs of my house in solid works when i set up my home theater. When i figure out how to post pics ill add it to this post.:)
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2021, 04:08 am by adammichael »

Chewbacca

« Reply #27 on: 16 Jul 2021, 12:58 pm »
adammichael, holy cow man! That looks great!... Now you're making me regret not putting more time in my model to make it pretty :thumb:

It started just as a floor plan with sketches for ease of figuring out placement, and slowly evolved.

Now I'm certainly inspired me to make mine look prettier!... well... maybe I should just finish my speakers instead of working in the endless 3D void :duh: :lol:

I did make a few updates to my model as it is though... I was working with the little lady, bouncing ideas off of her. I think we may have something that's not much of a sound compromise!

Chewbacca

« Reply #28 on: 16 Jul 2021, 01:07 pm »
This is a very important question -- are you influenced by a significant other with what you can do with this room?

So when I was working with the LittleLady in SolidWorks, I kept trying to "fit" everything in the room per say. Thinking of guests comfort etc... She said, and I quote:

"I think you should have the most mechanically sound layout and base the rest of the furniture around it. You shouldn't sacrifice quality for a few peoples comfort here and there"

I literally stopped dead in my tracks, said I love you, and I need to write that down :lol:

Ohhhh, how I found the right woman!  :bowdown::angel:

I'll post an update of what we've come up with this weekend!

adammichael

« Reply #29 on: 16 Jul 2021, 02:47 pm »

Being a Mechanical Engineer solid works is like a second language to me and that's how mine started to. I just wanted to layout my speaker locations and it just evolved from there. i have a second system off the kitchen and its a very difficult layout. i added that one to the model just because i could.
You're a very lucky man to have a woman like that by your side, hold on to that one!
« Last Edit: 16 Jul 2021, 04:41 pm by adammichael »

Chewbacca

« Reply #30 on: 16 Jul 2021, 02:58 pm »
  Being a Mechanical Engineer solid works is like a second language to me and that's how mine started to. I just wanted to layout my speaker locations and it just evolved from there. i have a second system off the kitchen and its a very difficult layout. i added that one to the model just because i could.
You're a very lucky man to have a woman like that by your side, hold on to that one!

Same. SolidWorks is definitely a second language! I started using it when I was 14 in high school, then "professionally" at 15 in a sheet metal shop, and have been in it ever since. So 16 years near full time... maybe averaging 30 hours/week directly in SW, so something like 25,000 hours? Holy crap... :lol:

adammichael

« Reply #31 on: 16 Jul 2021, 03:07 pm »
Wow, same background for me. I started designing Sheetmetal when i was 18 and I've been doing it ever since. I'm just a bit older then you though.:) modeling the mini, my X-statix and x-voce are next.
You're in Wisconsin right?

Chewbacca

« Reply #32 on: 16 Jul 2021, 03:27 pm »
Wow, same background for me. I started designing Sheetmetal when i was 18 and I've been doing it ever since. I'm just a bit older then you though.:) modeling the mini, my X-statix and x-voce are next.
You're in Wisconsin right?

Dang, it's quite rare for me to find someone with the same background! I worked at that Sheetmetal shop for about 7 years, then for 3 years did project management/design engineering for a company that did point of purchase fixtures and displays... Wood/Metal/Acrylic/Electronics/SolidSurface(corian)/Stone/Concrete etc. Then another 4 at a similar POP fixture company where I managed the engineering department, which were some of the worst years of my life. Total burnout. Some of the projects were pretty awesome though... not just cabinetry and displays for Kmart... Flagship stores of say AT&T's 1 Powell location... Cool stuff. Heading this project almost made me loose my sanity given the timeline. The second story was especially crazy!

Here's a YouTube video of it as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrJxLxjSe4s&t=72s

I had some sweet drawings for this stuff! But unfortunately it's all proprietary, so can't post that here! :roll: I do miss these kind of projects... but the timelines were just nuts. You wouldn't believe it... Or maybe you'd be one of the only people that would! :lol:

Now I'm back into Sheetmetal again... thinking of changing up my career completely. I need to do something I'm truly passionate about :scratch:

Chewbacca

« Reply #33 on: 16 Jul 2021, 03:27 pm »
Yes, I'm from Wisconsin. About 45 minutes north of Milwaukee!

sunnydaze

« Reply #34 on: 16 Jul 2021, 04:23 pm »
So when I was working with the LittleLady in SolidWorks, I kept trying to "fit" everything in the room per say. Thinking of guests comfort etc... She said, and I quote:

"I think you should have the most mechanically sound layout and base the rest of the furniture around it. You shouldn't sacrifice quality for a few peoples comfort here and there"

I literally stopped dead in my tracks, said I love you, and I need to write that down :lol:

Ohhhh, how I found the right woman!  :bowdown::angel:

I'll post an update of what we've come up with this weekend!

I've been biting my tongue since I saw your photos.  Been wanting to say that it's quite obvious you just have too much stuff jammed into your room, and no matter the gyration you employ, it's just not gonna work.  Plain and simple.

You are lucky to have such a gem of a wife!     :thumb:

adammichael

« Reply #35 on: 16 Jul 2021, 04:28 pm »
Yes, I'm from Wisconsin. About 45 minutes north of Milwaukee!
Same here, about 20 minutes from Milwaukee. im building the mini's this weekend, maybe a Milwaukee get together is in order to compare rooms and speakers?

Chewbacca

« Reply #36 on: 16 Jul 2021, 04:43 pm »
I've been biting my tongue since I saw your photos.  Been wanting to say that it's quite obvious you just have too much stuff jammed into your room, and no matter the gyration you employ, it's just not gonna work.  Plain and simple.

You are lucky to have such a gem of a wife!     :thumb:

Yeah, it worked out alright with my current setup... It looks a bit busier than it is. (especially in SW with all the room treatments up). But I couldn't agree more, it CERTAINLY needs to be simplified... Which is the path I've started going down :thumb:

Yes. I am a lucky duck to have her! She's certainly one of a kind! She was adopted from Russia by a loving family at the age of 3, and had a horrific childhood before that... I couldn't even begin to get into it. It's a wonder she is who she is today, and is even alive for that matter!

Chewbacca

« Reply #37 on: 16 Jul 2021, 04:44 pm »
Same here, about 20 minutes from Milwaukee. im building the mini's this weekend, maybe a Milwaukee get together is in order to compare rooms and speakers?

Yes - This certainly needs to happen! We could always bring a piece or two of our front ends to play around with/compare as well, preamps, dacs, whatever! I'll make a post about this when I get the speakers up and playing! :thumb: