Run-in/burn-in time XL-S Encore with premium parts

Stephen Scharf

I built up a pair Encores with the full premium parts specification (Mills resistors, tube connectors, SoniCaps and Miflex copper by-pass caps) last summer while recovering from my hip replacement, and listened to them for a for a bit, but then had to put my Harbeth 30.2s back into the system as my reference as I had three components come simultaneiously  for review at TAS around November last year. After completing those three reviews, I had some "down-time" of about two months between new gear arriving for review*, so I set up the Encores again.  Now last fall, when I built up my pair of Encores, I asked here how much run-in/burn in time they needed and received responses that they needed about 25-30 hours to run-in.

Well, an audio buddy came over in May to hear the system and was fairly impressed with the Encores (especially at their price), but as soon as we switched back to my 'Beths, he moved his arms out expansively, gesturing that the Beths were much more open, spacious, full-bodied, and as Hans Beekhuizen says, "relaxed-sounding". He was correct. I figured that the Encores simply had not enough run-in/burn-in time on the clock, so the following week, I called Danny for some insight. He asked me how many hours I had on my pair, and when I told him about 15-20 hours and that gang had said they needed 25-30 hours, he replied (and I'm paraphrasing here); "No, no way. With the standard premium parts (Sonicaps, Mills resistors, etc.) they will need at least 200 hours. With the Miflex copper caps you have for the "upgraded" premium parts, they will need at least 400 hours to burn-in those caps."

With that, I was a man on a mission, and set up my Encores as my home-theatre mains and ran them for 8-10 hours a day on a range of content (spoken word and music in movie soundtracks for example), tracking their hours daily in an Excel spreadsheet. I powered them down overnight to help with forming the caps.

At 275 hours, I set them up along with my way-cool little Nelson Pass Amp Camp amps (to get some burn-in on the amps as well) and running the ACAs as bridged monos, and it was clear the Encores had started to open up, and sound fuller.  Undaunted, as I had a trip up to Washington state the week of June 8, I set them up with the home theatre system playing classical music, and let them run for 5 days straight on the AVR.

My math told me I had ~425 hours on them and at that point, it was clear the Encores have fully arrived. They now sound much accurate and lifelike with respect to tone, timbre, rendering of instrument and vocal textures and harmonics, but also are notably improved with respect to producing responsive power and ability to "scale", a trait I've termed "dynamic slam". The mids were notably more open, full, and natural-sounding, the bass response went lower with better definition and articulation, and the imaging and soundstage as a whole was more open and expansive yet providing focus for instrument and voice imaging within the sound field. 

Bottom-line: if you buid up a pair of Encores with the the Sonciaps, Mills resistors, and tube connectors, etc., figure on 200 hours of run-in. I would say more like 275 hours, actually. With the Miflex copper caps, you'll need 400-425 hours for them to fully run-in/burn-in. I will add that Danny's input for the burn-in for these parts was 100% accurate and on-the-money with the burn-in time required.

My recommendation: build 'em, burn 'em in and then, sit back and enjoy!

*– just yesterday, though, the Conrad-Johnson ART 150 stereo amp arrived, and soon, the TOTL $39K Linn DSM DAC/streamer.  :thumb:

dryan01uk

Re: Run-in/burn-in time XL-S Encore with premium parts
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2021, 10:10 pm »
Wow.  Great information to share.  I would assume that the same 400+ hours applies for all kits with the upgraded XO parts?

It would be interesting to track experiences from other members who have extended run times on their builds.

D

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2021, 11:17 pm »
Only those with the fully upgraded Sonicaps + Miflex bypass caps need 400 hours.

Sonicaps usually need 100-200 hours on average.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 6 Jul 2021, 04:03 am »
Wow.  Great information to share.  I would assume that the same 400+ hours applies for all kits with the upgraded XO parts?

It would be interesting to track experiences from other members who have extended run times on their builds.

D

After more builds than I can easily remember including sealed, ported, transmission line, omni-directional, and open baffle, this has been my experience:

Initially the sound is thin/lacking bass and therefore hot on the top end. After 24 hours the drivers have loosened up to the point the bass begins opening up which balances out the top end.

The sound continues to open up, smooth out, and the soundstage and imaging continue to improve as the crossover components settle in. The length of time it takes to reach the best performance depends on the parts used.

The stock components reach their best around 100 hours.

If Sonicaps are used, these continue to improve up to around 200 hours.

High end by-pass caps like the Sonicap Platinum I've used in the past and the Miflex KPCU copper paper in oil caps currently available as well as copper resistors and copper foil inductors continue to improve for around 400 hours.

The time when higher end components reach the point they sound their best is also dependent on the electronics being used. I've found that when I think the settling in point has been reached on a less resolving system, moving them into a higher resolving system reveals continuing improvement up to the 400ish hour point.

An argument could be made that 400 hours is the point where my system's resolving ability ends so I couldn't say for certain maximum improvement has been reached. This would be a fair argument though I do think my system would qualify as highly resolving.

dryan01uk

« Reply #4 on: 6 Jul 2021, 05:28 am »
Thanks for sharing mlundy57.

Some great insights and information provided.  :thumb:

D

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2021, 08:32 pm »
After more builds than I can easily remember including sealed, ported, transmission line, omni-directional, and open baffle, this has been my experience:

Initially the sound is thin/lacking bass and therefore hot on the top end. After 24 hours the drivers have loosened up to the point the bass begins opening up which balances out the top end.

The sound continues to open up, smooth out, and the soundstage and imaging continue to improve as the crossover components settle in. The length of time it takes to reach the best performance depends on the parts used.

The stock components reach their best around 100 hours.

If Sonicaps are used, these continue to improve up to around 200 hours.

High end by-pass caps like the Sonicap Platinum I've used in the past and the Miflex KPCU copper paper in oil caps currently available as well as copper resistors and copper foil inductors continue to improve for around 400 hours.

The time when higher end components reach the point they sound their best is also dependent on the electronics being used. I've found that when I think the settling in point has been reached on a less resolving system, moving them into a higher resolving system reveals continuing improvement up to the 400ish hour point.

An argument could be made that 400 hours is the point where my system's resolving ability ends so I couldn't say for certain maximum improvement has been reached. This would be a fair argument though I do think my system would qualify as highly resolving.

Exactamundo, Mike. With also a high-resolution system, I'd concur with your findings and conclusions and specifically, with respect to speaker performance over time and the requirements for burn-in for the three different levels of parts specifiction (i.e., good, better, best). Cheers.

Stephen Scharf

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2021, 08:42 pm »

D

I think the info Mike Lundy gave is right on the money; it shouldn't really matter what the kits are; all the drivers will need to be run in, and the three different "levels" of crossover parts specification will require the same amount of burn-in time that Mike specified.