New Guy Orders "The Mini"

E-Zee

• Industry Participant
    • Diy speaker resources and crossover assembly services
Re: New Guy Orders "The Mini"
« Reply #60 on: 17 Jul 2021, 05:23 pm »
Kentfield- regarding the protruding edges, if you are going to radius the edges with a roundover bit and the bearing rises onto the flat sides, not the protruding edge, and the cutters extend just past the protrusion then the roundover will take care of cleaning the protrusion without having to use a flush trim bit also. 

One commenter mentioned filling discrepancy with extra coats of duratex.  I would not recommend that.  Duratex will cover a small seam imperfection but not 1/16" of variation in levels.

I do have a desktop mini set en route to me and have enjoyed watching other people's mini projects.  Thanks for sharing.

Elon

Runar0und

« Reply #61 on: 18 Jul 2021, 06:34 pm »
Thought I would update my build here. I've fully completed 1 of the speakers at this point. It was a bit sketchy doing the 1st veneer piece, but I got the process down with it and the rest went pretty well. I used pencils to be able to line it up before it touched. That made it much easier. Also, I got a replacement tweeter on Friday for the one that was DOA and the replacement was DOA as well. I wasn't able to test it till the evening so I guess I'll be calling again on Monday. I've confirmed it's for sure a tweeter problem by using the all the tweeters on both crossovers.

This is after I got all the veneer sections on the 1st speaker.

Got the top trimmed and cut out the holes for the drivers and binding post cups. I was able to get it trimmed up with just a razor and 220 grit sandpaper.

After test fitting everything on the veneered speaker I noticed I could see the MDF around the drivers. So I just painted the edge of the cutouts with some black paint from a rock painting kit my kids had lying around. I should have noticed this before doing the 1st veneer because it would have been way easier to paint it.

1st speaker fully assembled. I think it looks great considering how much of this process I've never done before.

This is a size reference to the mini on my desk next to a 27" monitor. I've been listening to it some today (all by it's lonesome self) and it sounds pretty impressive. I can't wait to hear how a pair of them sound.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #62 on: 18 Jul 2021, 07:26 pm »
Nice job on the veneer!

kenfx

« Reply #63 on: 18 Jul 2021, 10:12 pm »
@Runar0und: Wow!  Very nice job with the veneer!  That looks awesome.

I haven't tested out my drivers yet but the fact you've now seen 2 dead tweeters is not encouraging.  Guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best.. I'm not in a position to test them out until final build time-frame (later this coming week).

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #64 on: 18 Jul 2021, 11:22 pm »
Oh crap I glued the front baffle on inside out.  :duh:

Your not alone on doing that for your first build.  :thumb:

SC

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #65 on: 18 Jul 2021, 11:31 pm »
ya I can't afford a router and a table and my skill level is low.

So I think I'm just going to hand sand everything flush where edges meet. I'll try and keep the sharp corners sharp. Then put on the DuraTex and call good.

Another set back, I broke a lead off an expensive cap so now I have to buy a new one :duh: I'll have to order it monday.

You could always use a rasp file and sand paper. With mdf you would have to be careful to use the fine rasp and take it slow. https://www.amazon.com/YG_Oline-Carbon-Round-Needle-Files/dp/B08BYK8KQ4/ref=sr_1_12?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Hand+Files+%26+Rasps&qid=1626650866&s=power-hand-tools&sr=1-12&ts_id=553188

Guys when using a router etc. wear a mask and do it outside or ventilated space. MDF and lungs don't mix and just because its a small job doesn't make it any less dangerous. Protect yourselves.

SC

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #66 on: 18 Jul 2021, 11:32 pm »
Thought I would update my build here. I've fully completed 1 of the speakers at this point. It was a bit sketchy doing the 1st veneer piece, but I got the process down with it and the rest went pretty well. I used pencils to be able to line it up before it touched. That made it much easier. Also, I got a replacement tweeter on Friday for the one that was DOA and the replacement was DOA as well. I wasn't able to test it till the evening so I guess I'll be calling again on Monday. I've confirmed it's for sure a tweeter problem by using the all the tweeters on both crossovers.

This is after I got all the veneer sections on the 1st speaker.

Got the top trimmed and cut out the holes for the drivers and binding post cups. I was able to get it trimmed up with just a razor and 220 grit sandpaper.

After test fitting everything on the veneered speaker I noticed I could see the MDF around the drivers. So I just painted the edge of the cutouts with some black paint from a rock painting kit my kids had lying around. I should have noticed this before doing the 1st veneer because it would have been way easier to paint it.

1st speaker fully assembled. I think it looks great considering how much of this process I've never done before.

This is a size reference to the mini on my desk next to a 27" monitor. I've been listening to it some today (all by it's lonesome self) and it sounds pretty impressive. I can't wait to hear how a pair of them sound.

You've got skills! :) Looks fantastic. Great job.

SC

Runar0und

« Reply #67 on: 19 Jul 2021, 10:31 pm »
@Runar0und: Wow!  Very nice job with the veneer!  That looks awesome.

I haven't tested out my drivers yet but the fact you've now seen 2 dead tweeters is not encouraging.  Guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best.. I'm not in a position to test them out until final build time-frame (later this coming week).

I called today and I have apparently gotten the only 2 bad tweeters they are aware of. I guess I cleaned out the DOA section of the batch - LOL. He's going to test the next one before it's sent out. Nice working with great customer service.

Also, many thanks to those that have commented on my build so far.

annamarykahn

« Reply #68 on: 20 Jul 2021, 07:11 pm »
have you tried "testing" them with a 1.5v battery?

Runar0und

« Reply #69 on: 21 Jul 2021, 02:05 pm »
have you tried "testing" them with a 1.5v battery?

I actually hadn't tested them with a battery since I had an audio source handy where I'm building them. I did just try with the battery for fun, and there was no response from the DOA tweeters. Looks like I should be getting the next replacement today. I'm pretty excited because I've finished everything else on the 2nd speaker.

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #70 on: 21 Jul 2021, 06:29 pm »
OK Guys, I had to walk away from the project for a few days to to think about and come up with a plan. I am going to cut out the panel and I got some nice chisels to do the slot part and make the new front fit. I am going to try this first to see if I can save the box. If it doesn't work then i'll just have to get a single flat pac. I will need to order a replacement front panel if possible. I have not glued up the other box yet. 

On the parts not fitting, I guess I will try and sand to make work. Seems to be about 1-2mm too small.

I did check to see if the one crossover and the four drivers worked and they all made sound. Lows went low and highs went high, that's good.

Thanks for the positive comments.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #71 on: 22 Jul 2021, 12:34 am »
I called today and I have apparently gotten the only 2 bad tweeters they are aware of. I guess I cleaned out the DOA section of the batch - LOL. He's going to test the next one before it's sent out. Nice working with great customer service.

Also, many thanks to those that have commented on my build so far.

We're still not sure how that was managed, but I checked the tweeter we just sent out and it read correctly. Hopefully it arrives and stays that way.. lol

Runar0und

« Reply #72 on: 22 Jul 2021, 05:52 pm »
We're still not sure how that was managed, but I checked the tweeter we just sent out and it read correctly. Hopefully it arrives and stays that way.. lol

I got the new tweet yesterday and it works great. I appreciate you guys sending out the replacements so fast. Hopefully I cleaned out all of you DOAs though.

I just finished soldering up the tweeter this morning and I've been listening to them while working today and they have been pretty impressive so far.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #73 on: 22 Jul 2021, 06:31 pm »
Glad to hear you finally got one working! :P

It'll only get better after the first few days of play!
Enjoy!  :thumb:

Runar0und

« Reply #74 on: 27 Jul 2021, 10:04 pm »
I've been listening to them on / off between meetings at home and I'm really enjoying them. I had a chance today to listen uninterrupted for about 30 minutes at a good volume and they are really fantastic. Such a great fit on my desk as well.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #75 on: 27 Jul 2021, 10:29 pm »
Looks super cool, way better than most 'computer speakers' ever look.  Bet they sound better too.  Nice job!

ScottMoonShot

« Reply #76 on: 30 Jul 2021, 03:36 am »
Hello! I just ordered the minis!

I'm new to the forum and just started to be more interested in the audiophile world via YouTube.

I'm already a diy kind of guy so the minis should be a lot of fun.

Going to try a stark white high gloss finish with rounded front vertical edges. Making these for my daughter, for her 24th birthday in October. She needs speakers for her PC desktop.

If this goes well I'll look to make something a little bigger for myself.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #77 on: 30 Jul 2021, 12:58 pm »
You came to the right place!  Welcome!

Danny Richie

« Reply #78 on: 1 Aug 2021, 12:56 pm »

wgraft5

• Wayne in Oregon
« Reply #79 on: 2 Aug 2021, 07:59 pm »
Customer Service is what makes or breaks a company. I think GR Research is well on that point and I will be a lifelong customer.

What are the dimensions for the stands?

My mini rock dogs are together and pumping out the tunes.

I have about 12 hrs on them and they sound good.

This is just the beginning of my quest for stereo.

The setup as it stands now. Coming out the 3.5 headphone jack on the computer to the Aiyima A07 via a 3.5 to RCA cable.