Omnia A300 streaming power supply quality vs WR-1

patmania

Omnia A300 streaming power supply quality vs WR-1
« on: 31 May 2021, 05:41 pm »
Good day,

I will be auditioning an IDA-8 + WR-1 next friday, but i am wondering whether the Omnia A300 (with the streaming part integrated) will have an improved power supply for that purpose. Reason for asking is that it is quite often suggested to update the WR-1 with a better power supply. But perhaps the Omnia A300 streamer borrows/leaches on the good power supply which runs the amp itself?

Also, will connecting the IDA-8 to the WR-1 with USB (and save myself a power cord) have the same quality as the supplied power cord which comes with the WR-1?

Thanks for any insights!

rustydoglim

Re: Omnia A300 streaming power supply quality vs WR-1
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jun 2021, 01:56 am »
IDA-8 has an internal linear power supply so when it is used to supply the 5V power to WR-1, the power supply quality will definitely be much better than a typical 5V AC adapter.

But what it comes down to is your preference in sound characteristic.  Read the listening impression section on the A300 product page.

patmania

« Reply #2 on: 10 Jun 2021, 12:03 pm »
Thanks! Eventually i bought a DAC-9 + STA-9 + WR-1  :D I have connected the WR-1 to the DAC-9 via usb. Since that has a good internal power supply as well, it should have similar power quality like connecting to the IDA-8?

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 15 Jun 2021, 10:22 pm »
Since the STA-9 has 120wpc and the IDA-8 has 100wpc, it should have slightly more OOmph.