IDA-8 and KEF LS50. A good match?

glitchesbrew

IDA-8 and KEF LS50. A good match?
« on: 17 Jan 2021, 07:42 pm »
A friend of mine owns an IDA-8 and now wants to upgrade his speakers.
He's been offered a good deal on some KEF LS50, but due to pandemic is not able to audition them and asked me for advise. On paper they are a good match but...
I remember there was a review of the STA-9 from the absolute sound where if was pointed out that the match with the LS50 was a bit unfortunate.
And I know that the IDA-8 have something in common with the ST9 in terms of design.

Any direct experience of the combo?
Any "insider" info that can confirm if what made the STA-9 problematic with this particular sets of speakers is also part of IDA-8 design?

Many thanks.

Evoke

• Industry Participant
    • EVOKE Planar Loudspeakers
Re: IDA-8 and KEF LS50. A good match?
« Reply #1 on: 17 Jan 2021, 08:26 pm »
Hello, I have played with both the IDA-8 and 16. It will work fine with the KEF. I have also played with other amps that NuPrime makes. I can say that the STA-9, even with just higher specs, sounds a lot better. If you were to hear the 8 against the 16 or STA-9, you would hear a major difference in dynamics. It's not speculative or subjective - it's extraordinary. Also, the 16 and STA-9 just seem to control the bass much better. My Ruby speaker, a 5 1/2" two-way sounds good with the IDA-8, but listen with the IDA-8 or STA-9 amp and it makes the IDA-8 sound anemic.

Hope this isn't too direct. I am a HUGE fan of NuPrime gear and use it for reference and testing of products. My personal system at home has all NuPrime amps. In my opinion, it's easy to compare their quality with components many times the price.

Mark

glitchesbrew

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jan 2021, 07:47 pm »
Thank you Evoke

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jan 2021, 07:13 pm »
That past review of the STA-9 seemed rather out of place relative to the sonic qualities of that amp.

We were all puzzled.

The IDA-8 will certainly sound slightly different, and has been used to great success with a wide variety speakers including the KEF LS50.

I have little doubt that it would be a good match, and the only consideration with the LS50, is the toe-in or convergence.

Many report the LS50 a little bright or tilted up if the speakers are converged directly on the ears, as opposed to being more forward facing.

This convergence will also be dependant on your hearing ability, distance from the speaker, room acoustics, and other parameters.  More "on-axis" would produce slightly more emphasis to the upper mids and highs.

Soon I will have a couple pairs of the LS50 META in the demo system and will report back.

glitchesbrew

« Reply #4 on: 24 Jan 2021, 07:16 pm »
Thanks John. I'll let my friend know.

JAC_ZAR

« Reply #5 on: 25 Jan 2021, 07:39 pm »
And I wonder how the LS50s will perform with other NuPrime amplifiers.
I have the LS50 Meta, the IDA-8, the Pure AC-4 and the REL T7i.
They are a great match.
But maybe it is time for an upgrade.

Kitsap2

« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2021, 08:14 pm »
And I wonder how the LS50s will perform with other NuPrime amplifiers.
I have the LS50 Meta, the IDA-8, the Pure AC-4 and the REL T7i.
They are a great match.
But maybe it is time for an upgrade.

How do you like the LS50 Meta's, and did you previously have the original, LS50's?

JAC_ZAR

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2021, 08:40 pm »

Kitsap2

« Reply #8 on: 27 Jan 2021, 11:58 pm »

JAC_ZAR

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2021, 08:00 am »
The LS50 Meta sounds cleaner, but the difference is not that big

The IDA-8 drives both versions of the speakers at the same level

jaywills

« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2021, 12:51 pm »
Two years ago, I bought my daughter an IDA-8, a pair of KEF-50's and a Velodyne 10" digital sub (for graduation, she graduated first in her class from architecture school).  That set up worked great in my opinion.  However, there is a moral to this story:  Don't buy people things you might buy yourself.

She opened them up, got them set up playing nicely and...meh.  They now form a second system in my home with which I remain pleased.  Best of luck.

rustydoglim

« Reply #11 on: 31 Jan 2021, 08:31 pm »
 Looks like your daughter doesn't know how to appreciate high end audio.  You can buy her the Nuprime Omnia A300.  Everything is controlled by the Nuprime app.  It is an audiophile product designed for the whole family.

pewe

« Reply #12 on: 31 Jul 2021, 05:52 pm »
That past review of the STA-9 seemed rather out of place relative to the sonic qualities of that amp.

We were all puzzled.

The IDA-8 will certainly sound slightly different, and has been used to great success with a wide variety speakers including the KEF LS50.

I have little doubt that it would be a good match, and the only consideration with the LS50, is the toe-in or convergence.

Many report the LS50 a little bright or tilted up if the speakers are converged directly on the ears, as opposed to being more forward facing.

This convergence will also be dependant on your hearing ability, distance from the speaker, room acoustics, and other parameters.  More "on-axis" would produce slightly more emphasis to the upper mids and highs.

Soon I will have a couple pairs of the LS50 META in the demo system and will report back.
John, did you try the STA-9 with LS50 Meta? That speaker is on my radar but I'm a bit worried that it's not a good combo with my DAC-9 and STA-9.

jjss49

« Reply #13 on: 31 Jul 2021, 06:06 pm »
"Two years ago, I bought my daughter an IDA-8, a pair of KEF-50's and a Velodyne 10" digital sub (for graduation, she graduated first in her class from architecture school).  That set up worked great in my opinion.  However, there is a moral to this story:  Don't buy people things you might buy yourself.

She opened them up, got them set up playing nicely and...meh. "

haha... what a wonderful parent you are... am sure your daughter is a lovely young woman, but maybe she should have her hearing checked?   :D

John Casler

« Reply #14 on: 31 Jul 2021, 07:18 pm »
John, did you try the STA-9 with LS50 Meta? That speaker is on my radar but I'm a bit worried that it's not a good combo with my DAC-9 and STA-9.

Yes, I used the LS-50 Meta with the STA-9, and the MCX-2, as well as some other amps, and it sounded great (to me, remember I am a NuPRIME dealer)

Good you are considering the LS-50, as it does a lot of things well, especially imaging and soundstage.  Don't expect thunderous bass, but with plenty of power and proper placement the bass can be surprising.

brucelee

« Reply #15 on: 1 Aug 2021, 03:11 am »
IDA8 AND STA9 use same power amp module so they should sound alike.

rustydoglim

« Reply #16 on: 1 Aug 2021, 11:57 pm »
IDA8 AND STA9 use same power amp module so they should sound alike.

They don't use the same module, but have similarities in sound characteristic.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #17 on: 2 Aug 2021, 12:34 am »
A friend of mine owns an IDA-8 and now wants to upgrade his speakers.
He's been offered a good deal on some KEF LS50, but due to pandemic is not able to audition them and asked me for advise. On paper they are a good match but...
I remember there was a review of the STA-9 from the absolute sound where if was pointed out that the match with the LS50 was a bit unfortunate.
And I know that the IDA-8 have something in common with the ST9 in terms of design.

Any direct experience of the combo?
Any "insider" info that can confirm if what made the STA-9 problematic with this particular sets of speakers is also part of IDA-8 design?

Many thanks.
IMO to drive this odd pocket speaker he will need a muscular 200W amp, capable to run safe at 3 ohms and yet make any sound from a inefficient 85dB sensitivity, yet this speaker use a small 5'' midrange but the xover cuts are not in hi freq as one could expect (4 or 5kHz) but very low at 2100/2200Hz right in the music midrange or female voice, of course this speaker can not be run by a small tube amp unless a very big one, also IMO any amp small or powerful will benefit from a hi sensitivity speaker around 100dB and flat 8 ohms impedance, but its a nice looking speaker wifes will approve.

JAC_ZAR

« Reply #18 on: 2 Aug 2021, 10:06 pm »
I do not think so.
1. I use 35% of the power of the IDA-8 and the KEF LS50 Meta sound loud.
2. Is the KEF LS50 the Most Successful and Popular Speaker in 25 Years? - SoundStage! Real Hi-Fi Ep: 8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfrp8jEd2Vg