Magnepan LRS, how to disassemble?

PSItech

Magnepan LRS, how to disassemble?
« on: 20 Dec 2020, 04:23 am »
Hi forum members,

I would like to open my LRS's to replace the ferrite-core coil by a Mundorf air-coil, like I did with my MMG's with positive audible result.
The first step is to remove the wood-like strips on the side of the panel. How do I do that? Just gently pry a blunt screwdriver between cloth and strip or...? I don't want to break the strip obviously...

The MMG mod before and after:

Thanks,
Paul

mr_bill

Re: Magnepan LRS, how to disassemble?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2020, 11:01 pm »
I think trim strip is mechanically pressed in. I’d be concerned about returning it back to normal but who knows.

dB Cooper

« Reply #2 on: 21 Dec 2020, 01:47 am »
It's your warranty to void. Hope it's worth it.

Saturn94

« Reply #3 on: 21 Dec 2020, 05:15 am »
Looking at mine it appears the wood trim has some small finish nails.  I don’t know if that’s the only thing holding the trim in place.

I’m interested in finding out what you learn about this.  While I haven’t considered upgrading any components, I would be interested in changing the cosmetics (change trim color, maybe different color socks).

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #4 on: 21 Dec 2020, 01:42 pm »
If it were my project, I'd try and remove the staples at the bottom and try and fold back just enough cloth to get at the crossover. It's a real pain getting the cloth back on if you remove it completely. And you'll need a full staple gun to reattach it.

PSItech

« Reply #5 on: 21 Dec 2020, 08:16 pm »
Looking at mine it appears the wood trim has some small finish nails
Thanks Saturn94, you're right! Upon closer examination of the strips, there indeed seem to be finish nails every 8-9" apart [Magnepan hid them pretty good].
It's probably wise to try working the strips loose from the bottom, remove the staples and move the cloth up as Timind suggested, just enough to get access to the crossover parts.
I'll get back when I'm done with the operation.

Thanks,
Paul

Saturn94

« Reply #6 on: 21 Dec 2020, 09:38 pm »
Thanks Saturn94, you're right! Upon closer examination of the strips, there indeed seem to be finish nails every 8-9" apart [Magnepan hid them pretty good].
It's probably wise to try working the strips loose from the bottom, remove the staples and move the cloth up as Timind suggested, just enough to get access to the crossover parts.

Thanks,
Paul

Looking forward to reading how it goes for you.

I’ve never been happy with the color of the wood trim.  It’s suppose to be Dark Cherry, but it looks black in normal lighting (looks nothing like the sample picture on the Magnepan website).  I haven’t had the nerve yet to try to remove the trim pieces to change the color.

What color trim is that on yours?

PSItech

« Reply #7 on: 22 Dec 2020, 06:19 am »
It’s suppose to be Dark Cherry, but it looks black in normal lighting
I ordered the Dark Cherry trims and it appears to look pretty close to the top photo in regular daylight. I have a cherry wood dining table and the colors match quite well.
Did you perhaps receive the Black Solid Oak trim by accident?

Paul

Saturn94

« Reply #8 on: 22 Dec 2020, 11:41 pm »
I ordered the Dark Cherry trims and it appears to look pretty close to the top photo in regular daylight. I have a cherry wood dining table and the colors match quite well.
Did you perhaps receive the Black Solid Oak trim by accident?

Paul

I guess they fixed the issue with the dark cherry being too dark.  I contacted Magnepan when I first received them because I initially thought, like you suggested, they used black oak instead.  I was told they had a number of complaints of the cherry trim being too dark and they were working with their supplier to fix it (no offer was made to fix mine).

When viewed in direct bright sunlight, I can see the trim on mine is indeed dark cherry (REALLY DARK!) and not black oak.

When I reached out to Magnepan again asking about the possibility I could replace the trim, I was given an email address for the manufacture dept to contact.  My emails to the manufacture dept went unanswered, so I gave up on it.

Btw, here’s mine in bright daylight.  In normal room lighting, it looks black, or at least near black, to me.

Sorry, I can’t figure out how to rotate the pic!  :dunno:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #9 on: 23 Dec 2020, 11:03 pm »
In case you're wondering what happened to the soundstage your left hand speaker could use some adjustment.

Saturn94

« Reply #10 on: 23 Dec 2020, 11:24 pm »
In case you're wondering what happened to the soundstage your left hand speaker could use some adjustment.

So that’s what was wrong!  :slap: :rotflmao:

It’s been corrected.  :thumb:

Saturn94

« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2021, 12:09 am »

Thanks,
Paul

Any updates? 🙂

wje

« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2021, 03:50 pm »
Yes. Any updates?

I'm interested in the values you've selected for the air core inductor and the capacitor for your LRS crossover upgrades.  Thanks.

SpatialKing

« Reply #13 on: 28 Jan 2021, 05:07 pm »
I had two pair of Magnapan's in my stereo history, I did love those speakers!  Assuming they are open, I would definitely call them and talk to one of their techs about what you want to do.   There are a couple of good reasons.   First, the non air core inductor was used for cost reasons.   However, once you switch to an air core, it could indeed change the crossover point or change the resonance of the filter.   If so, you need to know this and what the correct fix you will need to install.   Odds are, the techs at Magnapan has already played with this and have a solution for you.   They can also tell you the best way to get into your speaker and mod it without making it into a giant project.

BTW, speaking of mods, my Magnapans used to form a resonance with the thick carpet in my room and they would start to rock slightly back and forth, which blurred the image significantly.  I fixed it by gluing four spikes on the bottom of each speaker.   Looking at your photos, I don't see any spikes, so you might consider this.

PSItech

« Reply #14 on: 27 Feb 2021, 09:11 pm »
Any updates?

Sorry, one way or another I don't get email notifications when someone posts in this thread?

Anyway, no updates from my side. Been busy with a lots of other things. And just enjoying the LRS's now there are loosening up!
I would not be surprised if the same value coil and capacitor as in the MMG's are present in the LRS. With a flashlight I peeked through the cloth and the coil and cap look suspiciously the same...

But I will measure the coil [inductance and DC resistance] using the Dayton DATS V3 system and then select an identical spec Mundorf aircoil.

Paul

Saturn94

« Reply #15 on: 27 Feb 2021, 11:08 pm »
Sorry, one way or another I don't get email notifications when someone posts in this thread?

Anyway, no updates from my side. Been busy with a lots of other things. And just enjoying the LRS's now there are loosening up!
I would not be surprised if the same value coil and capacitor as in the MMG's are present in the LRS. With a flashlight I peeked through the cloth and the coil and cap look suspiciously the same...

But I will measure the coil [inductance and DC resistance] using the Dayton DATS V3 system and then select an identical spec Mundorf aircoil.

Paul

Thanks.  Keep us posted.  :thumb: 

The only “mod” I’ve done are aftermarket stands (Magna Riser Airborne) which provided a nice improvement in looks and sound.

Stimpy

« Reply #16 on: 26 Apr 2021, 07:26 pm »
Danny Richie is offering a crossover mod for the LRS.  Danny discusses the mod, starting about 9:00 into the video. 

I haven't heard the mod.  I'm not endorsing it either.  Mainly curious!  For those who are interested?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkwyvW5Dons&t=2s

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #17 on: 26 Apr 2021, 07:32 pm »
I own Magnepan 20.7 and  I would do such a mod if I was not so old and lazy. I really am writing to say if Danny Richie has a mod available it is most certainly a great one.

Stimpy

« Reply #18 on: 26 Apr 2021, 07:40 pm »
Danny does know crossovers.  If I could somehow ship him my old Monsoon FPF-1000s and FPF-600s, for a crossover redo, I would.

Stimpy

« Reply #19 on: 26 Apr 2021, 07:46 pm »
To the OP, while replacing the inductors, I'd also replace the ClarityCap PX caps, used on the tweeters.  I like ClarityCaps, and have used them for my own speakers, but they are a bit dark, for tweeter use.  For me, very reticent in the upper mids, lower treble.  Personally, I usually use Mundorf for the highs.

Good luck.