Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer

bokko

Re: Announcing The Bryston BR-20 Preamp/DAC/Streamer
« Reply #260 on: 22 Jul 2021, 05:15 pm »
Another question your photo of Yello on your iPad streaming from apple music was that via airplay or does the BR-20 allow for apple music streaming directly? If it is airplay what bit rate/ sample rate? Since Apple are providing lossless been much more interested in listening to Service on my stereo instead of just phone.

Thanks

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #261 on: 22 Jul 2021, 08:16 pm »
Hi James,

You mentioned that production on the BR-20 was going to start up again around July 21st.

Are they in production yet?

Bruce

Hi Bruce - yes we are back up but still difficult getting all the parts we need - still have over 100 backordered.

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #262 on: 22 Jul 2021, 08:24 pm »
Another question your photo of Yello on your iPad streaming from apple music was that via airplay or does the BR-20 allow for apple music streaming directly? If it is airplay what bit rate/ sample rate? Since Apple are providing lossless been much more interested in listening to Service on my stereo instead of just phone.

Thanks

Hi

The Airplay is maximum 48/24.  If you hookup the Ipad using the USB out of the IP to a USB in on your DAC you can get 192/24 -(see my newsletter)

james

steveoat

« Reply #263 on: 22 Jul 2021, 09:03 pm »
Hi Bruce - yes we are back up but still difficult getting all the parts we need - still have over 100 backordered.

james

I hope soon since I recently added myself to the backorder list a few days ago.

Bruce

bokko

« Reply #264 on: 28 Jul 2021, 12:24 am »
Now just having a look at pictures and notice that we have 11 digital inputs but only 10 button's.
Are they user configurable? Pretty sure that was case as mentioned previously.
Is the Type B USB on the back a separate input (Dac Streamer or Computer)?
With Apple Music Lossless going to want to access. Though Airplay at 24/48 should be enough...if not.

Thanks

Marius

« Reply #265 on: 28 Jul 2021, 12:26 pm »
HI James,

Was offered the opportunity to test drive BR-20 nr 15 today :) of course accepted that gladly. We cant go anywhere now after all, so never a better time for tinkering Bryston goodies.

please let me ask this

- on the double outputs, which I use indeed, 1 for the BHA1 and one for my 10Bsub: how can I play music over the BHA1, and mute output to the 10Bsub?
with my bp26, I simply muted it, and the output went solely to the BHA, but this now seems to no longer be possible?
I could of course manually turn off the 10-bsub, but that seems regression with a modern device like the BR20.

- I' ve got issues getting MPD to work consistently, because it keeps being deselected:

I have created 2 shares on. my NAS, and only 1 is being displayed in the file browser,. when clicking update, it highlights blue, but nothing seems to happen? when clicking the + in the red lines (proving the shares are there...) nothing happens either, not even the highlighting of the update button.

hope you can have a look, thanks!
Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #266 on: 28 Jul 2021, 01:22 pm »
Hi Marius

Please email Adam and he will help.

atanner@bryston.com

james

Marius

« Reply #267 on: 28 Jul 2021, 02:02 pm »
thanks James,

email Adam on the shares? or on the outputs?
they're 2 rather different issues, and Id not want to waste your valuable time

seems a separate mute isnt available in the hardware? maybe this could be done in the software: select an output source A/B/A+B ?
I ask this specifically, because the manual at page 6 mentions under 3.Mute:

"Mute does not affect the headphone or record outputs". I guess I am looking for these record outputs (to connect to the B-HA 1), but this is the only spot they are mentioned.

thanks Marius

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #268 on: 28 Jul 2021, 02:58 pm »
Adam on the networking but you can mention the other issues if you want and he can find out from engineering.

james

PS - what preamp are you comparing the BR-20 too?

Marius

« Reply #269 on: 28 Jul 2021, 05:25 pm »
the bp-26 unit

Silverbullet

« Reply #270 on: 28 Jul 2021, 11:14 pm »
The lack of a “record out” or tape loop is the main reason I’d never buy a BR20 and replace my BP26. Almost all manufacturers have dropped these features.

Silverbullet

« Reply #271 on: 28 Jul 2021, 11:19 pm »
A fixed output is available on the BP17 if you only want a preamp without digital processing.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #272 on: 29 Jul 2021, 12:54 am »
Hi James,

I am going to send you a full report but what I can certainly say upfront about the new BR-20 is there is

- much lower noise
- much higher resolution, even when compared to the BDP and BDA3 as a source
- significantly wider Soundstage
- speakers "disappear" more

I think the depth of the Soundstage is still evolving. Out of the box it had little depth as well as limited bottom end. Those started to change last night.

Thanks again for helping me get this. It's a game changer.

Best,
Marc   

gbaby

« Reply #273 on: 30 Jul 2021, 08:32 pm »

james

Good problem to have.  :D

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #274 on: 30 Jul 2021, 09:26 pm »
Hi Folks,

The full review in Hi-Fi News and Record Review:

Marius

« Reply #275 on: 4 Aug 2021, 11:33 am »
The lack of a “record out” or tape loop is the main reason I’d never buy a BR20 and replace my BP26. Almost all manufacturers have dropped these features.

yes, it really is 'must have' feature lost. Personally I wouldn't even qualify this as a pro, or power feature. And since we're talking Flagship here, it honestly is  beyond my grasp as to the why.

btw, when I removed the huge weight of my bp26/Ps,/Bda1/Bdp1 to replace it with the 'lightweight' BR20, I wondered how this could be.... where are my 'massive' transformers.. I mean how can this be ;-)

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #276 on: 4 Aug 2021, 02:30 pm »

yes, it really is 'must have' feature lost. Personally I wouldn't even qualify this as a pro, or power feature. And since we're talking Flagship here, it honestly is  beyond my grasp as to the why.

btw, when I removed the huge weight of my bp26/Ps,/Bda1/Bdp1 to replace it with the 'lightweight' BR20, I wondered how this could be.... where are my 'massive' transformers.. I mean how can this be ;-)

I guess the BR-20 is not for you Marius  :)

james

Marius

« Reply #277 on: 4 Aug 2021, 09:30 pm »
Well, I would like it to be, and am truly tempted. It's a beautiful machine.

I love the connectivity, and the way it takes out a lot of cables....and of course room in the cabinet! Mine didn't have the hdmi installed, but that would even be better, able to reroute/de-embed the audio from the Blurays the Bryston way is something I look forward to enormously.

I just feel it should mature somewhat on the software side of things, (the source section is a true myriad for me, its a mix between custom mapping and presence of sources? Still havent found my way there, but thats probably me. Having a fixed source selector related to the actual input on the back has my preference still)

Also, I would hope to find custom settings for the leds, because right out of the box, it has a presence that distracts too much in Movie mode. Believe we should be able to set the leds around the volume knob, but again, havent had the opportunity to find my way in the menu, so they're still there whiter color than the other greenish ones.

Of course, this is all coming from a very happy and loyal Bryston customer, and because of that, used only to the best, which isn't easy to top. But ready to move on, and widen the horizon for new Peterborough built devices I am indeed.

Cheers, Marius

drummermitchell

« Reply #278 on: 4 Aug 2021, 11:50 pm »
True that,software
Ex: why the fuck does the bdp-2 does nothing it just freezes up
Only when you unplug and replug and restart does it go back to NORMAL.
Jeezuz H,my Neanderthal computer doesn’t have that problem EVER.
Personally SEPARATES are the way to go.
WHY let’s see three components in there if one fucks up UR F..........
Separates you can change the offending piece.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #279 on: 5 Aug 2021, 11:45 am »
Well, I would like it to be, and am truly tempted. It's a beautiful machine.

I love the connectivity, and the way it takes out a lot of cables....and of course room in the cabinet! Mine didn't have the hdmi installed, but that would even be better, able to reroute/de-embed the audio from the Blurays the Bryston way is something I look forward to enormously.

I just feel it should mature somewhat on the software side of things, (the source section is a true myriad for me, its a mix between custom mapping and presence of sources? Still havent found my way there, but thats probably me. Having a fixed source selector related to the actual input on the back has my preference still)

Also, I would hope to find custom settings for the leds, because right out of the box, it has a presence that distracts too much in Movie mode. Believe we should be able to set the leds around the volume knob, but again, havent had the opportunity to find my way in the menu, so they're still there whiter color than the other greenish ones.

Of course, this is all coming from a very happy and loyal Bryston customer, and because of that, used only to the best, which isn't easy to top. But ready to move on, and widen the horizon for new Peterborough built devices I am indeed.

Cheers, Marius

Hi Marius

Yes you can adjust the colour (Blue or Green) of the LEDS (except the display and the volume) and you can adjust the intensity of the LEDS and Display as well in the menu.

best
james