I've been wrecked by the X-LS Encores

fsdaron

Re: I've been wrecked by the X-LS Encores
« Reply #40 on: 13 Jul 2021, 07:59 pm »
I’ll  check my crossover wiring. Thanks.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #41 on: 14 Jul 2021, 12:03 am »
I’ll  check my crossover wiring. Thanks.

As others have said did you try plugging the ports and moving the speakers away from the walls first? I have limited options so mine are 6 to 8 inches from the back wall and I need to plug them up as bass becomes boomy in my little room. I have rolled up a pair of socks too.  :thumb: With them plugged up the bass is fast and accurate and does not overpower the vocals etc.

Try the simple things first then if that doesn't fix it a quick check of the crossover and driver wiring is in order.

Hope that helps
SC

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #42 on: 14 Jul 2021, 12:19 am »
He's tried all that already & nothing hes tried, so far, has worked.

It's likely either a crossover/wiring issue, or a room issue.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #43 on: 14 Jul 2021, 12:25 am »

My money’s on the crossover/wiring phase issue. It makes the most sense.

subsonic1050

« Reply #44 on: 14 Jul 2021, 12:32 am »
My xls encores are a disappointment.The bass on my build is overpowering. Any suggestions .

I can tell you fsdaron that, as others have said, it could be your room. I remember I had a pair of Tekton Double Impact speakers awhile back and I was getting terrible bass out of them. Purportedly, that was an area in which those speakers were supposed to excel. For me, they had almost zero bass - so little that I kept checking the drivers to see if they were actually moving at all. On various forums people kept telling me that it could be my room, but I just couldn't believe it. I have heard many systems in many different rooms and I had never heard a room causing THIS kind of issue. I was sure there was an internal wiring issue in the speaker, some kind of polarity issue, or something "wrong" with the system. Well, one time I was messing around with it and I noticed that as I moved to the side of the speaker to look at wiring all of a sudden the bass changed dramatically. It turned out that it was indeed my room. I think part of the reason why it was such a profound problem is that my listening room is in a lower level, surrounded on 3 sides (and the floor) by concrete. I suspect that I get stronger standing waves in there than in a typical room where bass just travels through walls rather than getting reflected back in.

In any case, I ended up selling those Tekton's because there was no way to solve it. I treated the room extensively, but if you  place the speakers where they need to be for soundstage and imaging, you're stuck with that placement for bass as well. In my room at least, I need separate subwoofers that I can place strategically for the best response. If you are sure your wiring is correct (and even if you're not sure) - then just put on a very bass heavy track and walk around your room (especially try walking towards corners). If you notice that you are getting huge peaks and nulls then it is definitely your room causing the problem.

Chewbacca

« Reply #45 on: 14 Jul 2021, 12:34 am »
To Recap:
  • Make sure the speaker if fully broken in. Usually best to wait 200-300 or so hours before you truly judge it; some more depending on materials of caps etc.
  • Adjust speaker and listening position to ensure you are not in a room mode.
  • Ensure xover is wired correctly and connected to correct +/- speaker terminals, ensuring phase.
  • Put a sock in it :lol:
If you're still experiencing issues (and even if you're not) invest in some measuring software. If you have a newer iPhone with a decent mic (or buy the Dayton mic hobbs posted - I own it and it works fine), buy the $20 AudioTools app and do some pink noise and sine sweeps and see what you find! :thumb: It's an inexpensive way to measure, and it will get you quite a bit for the money (even just the app alone).

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #46 on: 14 Jul 2021, 05:29 am »

Thanks Hobbs my bad I skipped ahead. :)

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #47 on: 14 Jul 2021, 05:30 am »
To Recap:
  • Make sure the speaker if fully broken in. Usually best to wait 200-300 or so hours before you truly judge it; some more depending on materials of caps etc.
  • Adjust speaker and listening position to ensure you are not in a room mode.
  • Ensure xover is wired correctly and connected to correct +/- speaker terminals, ensuring phase.
  • Put a sock in it :lol:
If you're still experiencing issues (and even if you're not) invest in some measuring software. If you have a newer iPhone with a decent mic (or buy the Dayton mic hobbs posted - I own it and it works fine), buy the $20 AudioTools app and do some pink noise and sine sweeps and see what you find! :thumb: It's an inexpensive way to measure, and it will get you quite a bit for the money (even just the app alone).

Nice one Chewy.  :thumb:

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #48 on: 15 Jul 2021, 01:32 am »
Just curious, has anyone made a sealed box version of the X-LS? I'm curious how that would work in a small room with 1 or 2 subs to fill in.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #49 on: 15 Jul 2021, 01:36 am »
Not sure if its been done, but its certainly possible, but will limit the bass output to roughly 70-75Hz rather than the -3db at 55.
Cabinet could possibly also be a little smaller.

But generally speaking, stuffing the port does the same thing.

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #50 on: 15 Jul 2021, 09:54 am »
Just curious, has anyone made a sealed box version of the X-LS? I'm curious how that would work in a small room with 1 or 2 subs to fill in.

I have asked Danny in the past about a closed design and he basically said what Hobbs said above.

I asked if you could bottom port it and he said you could but to use spikes on the bottom to lift them. So that may be an option?

Cheers
SC

Danny Richie

« Reply #51 on: 18 Jul 2021, 09:29 pm »
I did stuff the ports with socks. They are 5’ from the front wall and 3’ from the side wall. I have some cheap bass traps in the front corners. The bass is not clean and tight.

You don't have a speaker problem. You have a room problem. Can you post a picture of your room?