speaker placement question

tdangelo

speaker placement question
« on: 20 Aug 2020, 06:15 pm »
Hi, I was looking for some advice before I move everything around in my small listening room. I uploaded a couple pictures of my current layout and wanted to ask about moving the speakers to the wall with the window (bottom of layout picture) - the speakers are the diamond shapes and the star is my seating position. The speakers are usually about 3.5' from the front wall and about 5.5' apart (center of tweeter) and the chair is 6' from the speakers. If I put the speakers on the window wall I can space them nicely and have a symmetrical setup. Right now the left speaker has a double door to the rest of the house - the speakers are centered based on where my listening chair is (about 11.4' across) - the room is actually 16' wide if you consider the space at the double door entry. The squares are GIK soffit traps - I also have 2 QRD, 2 244, 2 242, 2 PolyFusor, upper corner traps and a few other diffuser panels. The thing I'm worried about is the new seating position (the BIG X) - the closet door will clear my chair but I'm wondering how it's going to effect what I hear? Any ideas/tips?
Leave it like it is?

Thanks very much in advance.
Tony

Early B.

Re: speaker placement question
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2020, 07:26 pm »
I would leave as is.

JWL.GIK

• Facilitator
    • GIK Acoustics
« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2020, 08:01 pm »
For small, suboptimal rooms like this the best thing is always to experiment. Particularly when you have finicky speakers like open baffles or dipoles, there are many things to consider. If you want to be sure I'd spend a few hours moving things around and listening/evaluating, and also testing (with something like REW) if you are so inclined to put your subjective listening impressions into better context.

If I was a betting man I'd say you'd likely get the best performance if you switch it as you describe, so the front half of the room is symmetrical (and available for corner bass trapping and reflection point treatments) and the speakers fire toward the rear, uneven parts of the room.

tdangelo

« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2020, 08:38 pm »
Thanks for the advice. I just started using the open baffle in this room and am not getting the bass I expected. I also have a pair of Harbeth that sound fantastic with the room as is - also Pearl Evolution 401 that are partial open baffle - their bass is also fantastic as is. I’m tempted to move everything but it’s a lot of work as you know.

Thanks

toocool4

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2020, 09:13 pm »
Mark up your current speaker locations, so you can always go back if you don’t like the new locations.

Experiment is key. Good luck.

TomS

« Reply #5 on: 20 Aug 2020, 10:30 pm »
Vinnie Rossi often uses diagonal corner placement and near field in those difficult small hotel rooms at shows. They always sound good, so may be worth a shot.

tdangelo

« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2020, 04:02 pm »
so I did my experiment (my goodness what a lot of work) and I'm totally amazed at how much deeper bass I now have. The 15" woofers are really putting out nice clean bass - unlike I have ever heard them. I took all room treatments down with only the ceiling corner traps and the GIK soffit traps left in the room. I have lots of playing around to do with all the other acoustic treatments. Any suggestions would be great ;)

Unfortunately now I can't use my Uberbuss since it's captive cable is to short to reach the dedicated line outlet - the Magikbuss will do for now.

Thanks