NX Studio Monitor Flat Packs

Peter J

• Hmmmm
Re: NX Studio Monitor Flat Packs
« Reply #160 on: 30 Jun 2021, 01:32 pm »
Can we still order flat packs?

Best to contact Jay for availability. Contact info is in first post in this thread, but I'll repeat here.   captainhemo@shaw.ca

Max7

« Reply #161 on: 30 Jun 2021, 04:17 pm »
thanks!

Captainhemo

« Reply #162 on: 2 Jul 2021, 06:18 pm »
Can we still order flat packs?

Yes,,  ordering info is on page 1, first  post
jay

All  these builds  you  folks are showing  look  great,  love seeing the   creativity  that   youi    add to  ouir  packs  :tub:
jay

WarmColors

« Reply #163 on: 5 Jul 2021, 08:09 pm »
Hi all,

I am barely getting around to building the box for the Studios

What would be easier for a first timer adding veneer? assembling the box first or glue the veneer on the MDF flat packs first before assembling it?

Would 3 24inch clamps be enough to hold everything in place? (I have five smaller clamps)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #164 on: 5 Jul 2021, 11:08 pm »
Hi all,

I am barely getting around to building the box for the Studios

What would be easier for a first timer adding veneer? assembling the box first or glue the veneer on the MDF flat packs first before assembling it?

Would 3 24inch clamps be enough to hold everything in place? (I have five smaller clamps)
Veneering is easiest once it is assembled. Sides first then rear.

When I built mine, I used four 24" clamps and two strap clamps.
It definitely uses a lot of clamps to ensure a solid assembly.
I believe Peter in his assembly video used 12 clamps?

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #165 on: 5 Jul 2021, 11:31 pm »
Has anybody veneered the baffle on the Studio’s? I’m sure it can be done, I think I’ve seen other NX speakers with them veneered actually. Probably not easy with that wave guide.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #166 on: 6 Jul 2021, 01:40 am »
Not the studios, but I've seen it done on an NX-Otica so it is possible, tho probably tedious. Esp since you can only sand inwards. Outwards would likely pull the veneer up.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #167 on: 6 Jul 2021, 04:07 am »
I've veneered the baffles of NX-Otica monitors but painted the waveguide black. This is also tedious and very difficult to get a clean transition between the veneer and paint.

Fltguy

« Reply #168 on: 6 Jul 2021, 05:40 pm »
As I get ready to launch into No Rez and my NX Studio build, I ask if anybody has published measurements or cutout dimensions for No Rez that is tailored towards Jay's flat pack. (Mike Eastman and Sonicjoy published one photo each.) I am just a little apprehensive on this next step of the build. I want to do a neat and or near professional job....and then cover it up.
Attention to detail can sometimes get the best of me.

mikeeastman

« Reply #169 on: 6 Jul 2021, 09:26 pm »
If I ever get back to building them, when life settles back out  :scratch: I'm installing the no-rez before I glue up the boxes, so I made patterns from cardboard and cut the no-rez.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #170 on: 15 Jul 2021, 08:24 pm »
Question for Captainhemo & PeterJ,

Do you plan on producing Speaker grill frames for the NX Studio's, as a option for the guys, who have to deal with the WAF Factor?
Danny had mentioned to me, that grill cloth on speakers, is not so much of the obstacle that degrades speaker performance, it usually is the design of a grill frame that might cause diffraction / loss of performance of a given speaker.

I noticed a NX Studio Kit (Photos) that PeterJ fabricated  that had speaker grills on the front of them. I was wondering what was his design consist of material, dimension wise as well as fasteners. Not sure if he used magnets or the plastic clip on fastners. If PeterJ is willing to share with us new NX Studio builders who are considering building grill frames, his imput would be welcomed. 

Cheers

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #171 on: 15 Jul 2021, 10:32 pm »
The protruding woofer frame presents a problem. My solution is to stand the grill frame off baffle enough to clear said frame. I cut basic frame from 1/4" MDF but ended up laminating another 1/8" ply to stiffen it up.  1/4 x 1/4" Neo 52 magnets imbedded in baffle and glued into frame. Thin felt pads on "legs" of frame so as not to scratch baffle.

I attached cloth with staples in the  groove you see on back. Outer dimensions were 7 5/8" x 16 1/4" with a 3/4" frame width. Sized to fit a rounded over top and square bottom. They will certainly interfere with tweeter dispersion and were intended as static protection only.

Client paid $200 additional for them, and if I'm honest I have difficulty seeing the value proposition. WAF has never been a concern for me, even when I had one, but your situation may be different.

You may want to reference my X-Otica thread for photos of a similar installation.
https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=139529.0

I quickly drew these so you can get a visual on what I'm talking about.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #172 on: 16 Jul 2021, 05:34 pm »
Thanks PeterJ,
I like NX Studio Speaker grill design, so you would charge $200 for the NX Studio grills, or the Ottica grills to be made? In case I decide to utilize your services.

Thanks again for the information. Very helpful as a newcomber.

Peter J

• Hmmmm
« Reply #173 on: 16 Jul 2021, 10:27 pm »
Thanks PeterJ,
I like NX Studio Speaker grill design, so you would charge $200 for the NX Studio grills, or the Ottica grills to be made? In case I decide to utilize your services.

Thanks again for the information. Very helpful as a newcomber.

I provided a drawing and info assuming you wanted to do this yourself or possibly benefit others doing the same. It you'd like me to quote something for you, please contact me via PM or better yet carbidewing@gmail.com.

Frank M

« Reply #174 on: 20 Jul 2021, 12:38 pm »
Greetings all,

I'm new to posting on this forum.  But, I have been reading the adventures of DYI speaker building here for some time.  I am in possession of a beautifully produced and shipped NX Studio flat-pac from Jay.  (He is the winner of this year's customer service award, for sure. Pleasure to do business with him!)  In my younger years I did both woodworking and DYI stereo electronics assembly.  But, wood veneering and finishing to the levels I see posted here are going to be a challenge. 

Thanks to Peter's EXCELLENT video tutorials, I have decided to follow his path regarding cabinet assembly and veneering.  The puzzle for me (and others) is that front baffle.

In a perfect world I would love to have the entire cabinet veneered, however, the complex geometry of veneering the tweeter waveguide is realistically a non-starter for me.  So, Option 2 would be to paint the waveguide and veneer the rest of the baffle. 

I think I would paint the waveguide first and then assemble the cabinet, followed by veneering all surfaces.  The biggest issue, I see, with this approach would be cutting out the veneer around the circumference (top) of the waveguide.  It would have to be done by hand - a very steady hand.

Any thoughts, comments, recommendations on my approach would be appreciated.

One finally note I'll throw in here, is a big well done to Danny Richie for his clear, concise, well-mannered videos without which I wouldn't be heading down this path at this point in my life.  Thank you!

Frank M

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #175 on: 24 Jul 2021, 04:31 am »
FRANK,

One suggestion, is to make a 1/4 thick wood template. I did a cad drawing, measuring the dimensions of the wave guide. Did a printed out, and applied the sheet onto a 1/4" thick piece of wood. Then cut the wood to the waveguide shape. I actually finished my wood waveguide template, so it would be as smooth and slick as possible. Since the wood guide assist the cutting blade, around the perimeter of your veneer.

I used a exacto knife for trimming around the veneer. Exert patience cutting out!
You want to keep the blade as close as possible to the vertical position alongside the wood template. This helps prevent the exacto blade from grabbing the wood guide.

As far as securing the wood waveguide template in place, you have a few options, either use double faced thin tape and apply it to the template. Attaching it to the exact area of the veneer you want to have cut out, or clamp the wood guide on top of the designated veneer area that is to be removed. This will prevent the template from shifting, while making your cut out. VERY IMPORTANT STEP!  Otherwise  things may start flying around your shop, along with a few choice words!  :lol:

I had success with this method. Perhaps others may have additional suggestions.

Good Luck,
NX STUDIO DRUMMER
« Last Edit: 24 Jul 2021, 04:28 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

Tomy2Tone

« Reply #176 on: 24 Jul 2021, 01:58 pm »
FRANK,

One suggestion, is to make a 1/4 thick wood template. I did a cad drawing, measuring the dimensions of the wave guide. Did a printed out, and applied the sheet onto a 1/4" thick piece of wood. Then cut the wood to the waveguide shape. I actually finished my wood waveguide, so it would be smooth and as slick as possible. Since the wood guide assist the cutting blade, around the perimeter of your veneer.

I used a exacto knife for trimming around the veneer. Exert patience cutting out!
You want to keep the blade as close as possible to the vertical position alongside the wood template. This helps prevent the exacto blade from grabbing the wood guide.

I had success with this method. Perhaps others may have additional suggestions.

Good Luck,
NX STUDIO DRUMMER

That’s awesome, looking forward to seeing your pics!

Captainhemo

« Reply #177 on: 1 Aug 2021, 06:26 pm »
Hi folks.
Just  a heads up that  we are currently  out of stock on these but are cutting  another run soon.
I have  started another  list for people   who want to reserve  a pair,  orders will go out in the order in which  they  are  received.

Price  remains  at  $379 US  and  $65 US  shipping  anywhere in  US/Canada.

Also worth noting,   there  were  a couple  pairs that  were supposed to go out  last  Friday,  they did  not  as UPS did  not  show up.... lots of things   cancelled right    now  due to  smoke (fires) including  some  courier and   mail   services :(

Contact    at  captainhemo at  shaw.ca
jay

Speaker Challenged

« Reply #178 on: 2 Aug 2021, 04:19 am »
Hi folks.
Just  a heads up that  we are currently  out of stock on these but are cutting  another run soon.
I have  started another  list for people   who want to reserve  a pair,  orders will go out in the order in which  they  are  received.

Price  remains  at  $379 US  and  $65 US  shipping  anywhere in  US/Canada.

Also worth noting,   there  were  a couple  pairs that  were supposed to go out  last  Friday,  they did  not  as UPS did  not  show up.... lots of things   cancelled right    now  due to  smoke (fires) including  some  courier and   mail   services :(

Contact    at  captainhemo at  shaw.ca
jay

Jay stay safe with those fires. We know how you feel here in Australia.

Do you have shipping costs to Melbourne or Sydney Australia?

Thanks
SC

Captainhemo

« Reply #179 on: 2 Aug 2021, 05:57 pm »
Luckily,  we are not  in any   real danger this year aside from air quality....  we basically  have fires on all sides  of us  so nomatter  what   winds we have,  it's smoke  :(

Have never shipped to AU,  rates have always been too high....  I just  quoted  a pair of these to Russia and it  was  $430 USD :(

jay